Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you transfer Bitcoins without an Internet connection? - page 2. (Read 4262 times)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500
Bad idea, whoever get their hand on the paper wallet is able to read the private key and steal the bitcoins. Send a transaction, no one can steal it

Whoever can get their hands on your paper dollars can steal them! The point is not using the internet.

I think we need bitcoin bills. 1BTC, .1 BTC, .01 BTC. If we had 1million BTC in physical bills in circulation, things would get interesting.  

Anyone got a printing press?
Activity: 174
Merit: 253
Bad idea, whoever get their hand on the paper wallet is able to read the private key and steal the bitcoins.
 Use keyless paper bills.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
I think this question suffers from the XY problem (http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/66377/what-is-the-xy-problem). If you are attempting to physically transfer a set of Bitcoins, then you can simply sell a paper wallet to someone. I'd highly recommend Canton's paper wallet: https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/
Bad idea, whoever get their hand on the paper wallet is able to read the private key and steal the bitcoins. Send a transaction, no one can steal it
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
How do you transfer Bitcoins without an Internet connection?
Use firmcoins.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
So... nice ideas! :-)
Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
What's wrong with a flash drive with the wallet.dat file on it?

You have to trust that the person who gave you the flash drive will not spend the coins.
You also need an Internet connection to actually check how many coins are actually represented by that wallet.dat

The real answer to the OP is that you really can't securely transfer Bitcoins without an Internet connection, however tenuous. It is one of the weaknesses of the system.

You can use an intermittent connection like dial-up, but you would either have to run a "lite" client, or have the block-chain mailed to you periodically.
Activity: 332
Merit: 253
What's wrong with a flash drive with the wallet.dat file on it?
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008
CEO of IOHK
For large amounts of data, SSDs on a plane is still more efficient than the Internet.

I'm sorry but I really couldn't resist:

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
I remember when they used to say the highest bandwidth connection was a station wagon full of tapes on the highway.
For large amounts of data, SSDs on a plane is still more efficient than the Internet.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
I remember when they used to say the highest bandwidth connection was a station wagon full of tapes on the highway.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
Worst case, there's always TCP/IP Over Carrier Pigeon as described in RFC-1149.
... and under certain circumstances it can be faster than using certain ISPs. For example to transfer the entire blockchain to bootstrap a node.  http://www.news.com.au/technology/pigeon-transfers-data-faster-than-south-africas-telkom/story-e6frfro0-1225771449209

If you read carefully, you will realize that they did not actually implement RFC-1149. RFC-1149 provisions a high latency, low bandwidth llink by printing black stuff on white stuff (paper).

In that story out of South Africa, they made a one-way, high bandwidth, high latency link. If anything, that story shows that RFC-1149 has now been made obsolete by flash memory. I ran the numbers for setting up a service here in Canada to get around high wholesale bandwidth costs: it actually made a stupid amount of sense (being price-competitive). The sticking point was that the Pigeons are a gimmick: since you need to use a courier to transport the Pigeons to their starting point. In that story they also did not appear to include the time required to read and write the memory stick. Most don't write faster than 10MB/s: which would actually be the major bottle-neck.

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

... and under certain circumstances it can be faster than using certain ISPs. For example to transfer the entire blockchain to bootstrap a node.  http://www.news.com.au/technology/pigeon-transfers-data-faster-than-south-africas-telkom/story-e6frfro0-1225771449209
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
I think the problem this is facing, is that you need the unspent outputs from somewhere (ie online) before you can roll a rawtx.
Unless you can just fire off a privkey+outputaddress-esque combo and it just works?  Undecided
Activity: 784
Merit: 501

I wonder what the durability of those coins are. Will the tamper-proof stickers last decades not to mention centuries?
Activity: 36
Do you think there could be a passthrough service for people to send raw transactions (made offline) via postalmail/skype/tor/twitter and then be transmitted on the network? Would be nice for countries that block internet during unrest etc.

Anything that can take a rawtx printed in some standard font (preferably one optimized for OCR) and printed on paper, accept it into a scanner and dump it straight to https://blockchain.info/pushtx would do fine.  An automated system could even feed the paper itself directly into a shredder afterwards.

Or something ugly like this;

https://i.imgur.com/6rHMbxL.png
Thousands of them generated by your wallet dynamically and encrypted for immediate distribution face to face, unlockable on receipt of transmission; the dynamic constrution of an off chain mini network. I believe adam back has already devised a method somewhere here on the forum.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
- offline or off-chain transactions
- bitcoin private keys secured with one time pads that both parties have chosen beforehand by rolling a dice
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Do you think there could be a passthrough service for people to send raw transactions (made offline) via postalmail/skype/tor/twitter and then be transmitted on the network? Would be nice for countries that block internet during unrest etc.

Anything that can take a rawtx printed in some standard font (preferably one optimized for OCR) and printed on paper, accept it into a scanner and dump it straight to https://blockchain.info/pushtx would do fine.  An automated system could even feed the paper itself directly into a shredder afterwards.

Or something ugly like this;

Activity: 315
Merit: 250
How do you transfer Bitcoins without an Internet connection?

Physical bitcoins by Casascius, or any number of paper bitcoin notes you can buy on ebay or create yourself.
Activity: 55
Pages:
Jump to: