Pages:
Author

Topic: How i keep my private keys safe without hardware wallet - page 5. (Read 1172 times)

copper member
Activity: 280
Merit: 1
CINEMADROM ⥋ BLOCKCHAIN FILM PLATFORM
The best way is to write every private key down on a piece of paper or in your notebook and to store it in your desk. This is much safer than using external drives, usb sticks or word document on your computer.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 509
I always recommend hardware wallet. But if you don't have the money to buy one. I would suggest you to to use a separate USB device to store all your key. Better if you use more than 2 and keep it in safe place.
USB devices don't always live long, i have 2 dead usb devices i bought at high price, the three can die on you before several years pass, the reason why i include paper wallet is because of this, only fire or water can destroy them but if keep in safe nothing will happen to them, i still have a book from 2012 with me which consist of some login details
USB wallets are bad.
I do not agree with you if the USB wallet is Ledger. Hardware wallets are almost the most reliable ones, and if it was not already there would not be much demand.
Just download a wallet and put the coins on there.
The best wallet is the most reliable, also the Ledger is easy to use. It is not as hard as you think: https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000613793-Set-up-as-new-device
Activity: 1274
Merit: 264
My private keys are stored in a cloud storage, zip file and has a password on it, and on my phone safe storages. It is good to save your keys from a different places for your security and protecting your information from hackers.

One thing that i don't have yet is ledger nano since i have a doubt using it and thinking i may get hack anytime. Is there anyone here using it?
Activity: 826
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
It is always safe to use a hardware wallet but if you don't have one then I will suggest you that  buy more than one flash drive and keep it in safe place. You can use anything which has no direct internet connection.
Activity: 819
Merit: 251
You have a good setup there where you hide/keep your crypto stuff. I guess you should also had some copies of it somewhere not in your house because what if accidentally your house get burned, for sure it is the end for you. Keeping it on your cousin or relatives that doesn't know about cryptocurrency is also good.
I guess you can also put it on the vault if you have.
Activity: 518
Merit: 271
There are many ways to store your private keys

1. Store it in your removable devices like flash drives, memory cards
2. Store in offline computer or in computer that is protected by antivirus
3. Write the private key on paper and store where you can easily find it but hidden to the other people.  (you can do this if you want to give to your family after death)

There is still a lot of ways to store your private keys you just have to do it in secure and creative way.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
1. A complete new harddisk
I bought a new harddisk and install window 7 on it and copy all my private keys in there, i don't bother to leave this harddisk in the pc, after the copy is completed i remove the harddisk and keep it.

While the other methods are OK, I don't agree with this. Imho a new HDD is already a purchase and the price difference to some 60-70$ of a hardware wallet doesn't justify the hassle. (You know that magnetic disks need a refresh every couple of years, right?)
If one goes for cheap methods, paper is the easiest to store and hide. And if one, instead of saving there a private key, will save the seed of a wallet, most people will not even know what strange haiku he has there.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 257
LuckyB.it is Back!
Hardwell it is the owner of the option to store your Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency. If you fine to keep your friends in your desktop also that would be great.
It is completely based upon your privacy and security systems you are using to to keep your funds safe.
I have all my privately in my computer hard disk only since I started I didn't face any issues.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1145
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI
simply writing your private keys or a back up phrase in a piece of paper and if you want to add some protection to the paper then you can just laminate it and store it in a place where you know, no one can steal it.
This is one way you can do when you want to safely hide your private keys from the hackers. Remember that hackers do have many ways to hack your computer, They might be spying your computer and just waiting to put your private key into your wallet and secretly recording every keystroke that you do on your computer.

It is better to buy a hard wallet if you are afraid to be hacked especially if you are holding a large value of crypto tokens. A hard wallet is somehow cheap now like ledger nano s, It's nice that you have an assurance that your crypto assets would not disappear without your approval.
Activity: 952
Merit: 253
I always recommend hardware wallet. But if you don't have the money to buy one. I would suggest you to to use a separate USB device to store all your key. Better if you use more than 2 and keep it in safe place.
USB devices don't always live long, i have 2 dead usb devices i bought at high price, the three can die on you before several years pass, the reason why i include paper wallet is because of this, only fire or water can destroy them but if keep in safe nothing will happen to them, i still have a book from 2012 with me which consist of some login details
USB wallets are bad. Just download a wallet and put the coins on there.
How can you say if that was a bad idea because if you can manage it properly and then USB can be used to create our own cold storage use paper wallet as the main wallet and then store it in the USB?
It doesn't make sense if you are saying if that was a very bad idea because that depends on how we can manage it.
Just try to look at some people have used it since long time ago and they never got a problem.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 310
Just make sure that the place where your keys store is safe, and the only one can access this file is yourself
at the same time , don't entrust the password of your computer, to other people because it will be a risk
because anyone can access your computer if the password is known to others,
encrypt your computer hard disk , if you really want to be safe, so that if your computer is stolen only you can open the files
Activity: 896
Why so much complexity. If you can't buy a hardware wallet, then you don't have a lot of money.You can just install a good antivirus and not crawl on bad sites.But you bought a new hard drive.It is not much cheaper than a hardware wallet.
in fact there are so many ways to secure it and security always depends on the user of the wallet. so I think more about security depending on the user and how he can access it very carefully when he wants to open his wallet and backup data elsewhere
Activity: 104
Merit: 1
Why so much complexity. If you can't buy a hardware wallet, then you don't have a lot of money.You can just install a good antivirus and not crawl on bad sites.But you bought a new hard drive.It is not much cheaper than a hardware wallet.
Activity: 742
Merit: 329
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
If you don't have a hardware wallet and you still want to secure your wallet by keeping your private key safe then you should store it online. How? By just simply writing your private keys or a back up phrase in a piece of paper and if you want to add some protection to the paper then you can just laminate it and store it in a place where you know, no one can steal it.
Activity: 434
Merit: 10
Use a desktop wallet. That will make you more money because Hackers won't want it.
Desktop wallets are also susceptible to attacks because hackers can send malware through email and may get into the desktop wallet. Not all the desktop wallets have strong security and can be trusted. Getting a hard ware wallet is best but in the instance when it cannot be afforded, it is good to use the keystore/Json file and password as login details instead of the private keys. Using the two login combinations makes it very difficult to breach the security of ones wallet.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 502
USB wallets are bad. Just download a wallet and put the coins on there.

Using a wallet can be a good choice for people who cannot buy a hardware wallet. But I still prefer to use a hardware wallet because the hardware wallet can save so many types of coins.

But if you only want to save private keys, I think that will not difficult as you only need to save in a safe place which only you will know. Don't tell other people if you already save the coin in the wallet, so they don't try to ask you to check all of the coins you have.
Activity: 896
I agree that it is better for us to keep the private key on a different hard disk to avoid damage to the computer that we use. Storing private keys in different places is important because there are many cases of hacking and data theft.
in this sense it is very useful for new users, usually they do things in an unstructured way and therefore a lot of hacking occurs. and I have a suggestion for data storage to always check every week and do backups when needed, in the case of data backup people may very rarely do it and therefore should be reminded of this important matter
Activity: 1177
Merit: 102
the way I store private keys
1. I use a web wallet (Myetherwallet)
2. Bookmark the web wallet site to avoid phishing attacks
3. copy on white paper, PC, MOBILE and flashdisk
4. I will not tell anyone and only I personally know about this.
We wallet doesn't safety your private key that's think you need use hardware wallet for fully safety your wallet. Before two years ago i was saving my private key in my phone book but i read many topics this not good safety, so now i only use hardware wallet for safety my private key.
Activity: 434
Merit: 10
I don't copy and use my private keys because it is very delicate and if not handled with much care can lead to the breach in security of wallet. I prefer to use the Json file and password to login because it is very difficult for a third party to come into contacts with these two login details. Keeping them as backup on separate flashdrive is a good one.
Activity: 938
Merit: 256
Saving the utc files in google cloud or google drive is quite safe since you can add multiple factors authentication to secure your account
Pages:
Jump to: