Pages:
Author

Topic: How is Ripple not considered the best alternative cryptocurrency? - page 2. (Read 2427 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Do you think doge coin is being run by more responsible people than the federal reserve?

Yes
Activity: 1145
Merit: 506
This is who we are.

Re: How is Ripple not considered the best alternative cryptocurrency?

It is based on cap.
If you like inflation why cash anything out of centrally controlled fiat?  Do you think doge coin is being run by more responsible people than the federal reserve?
This is who we are.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I translated this latin? "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity" and I am not sure if you are saying it in regards to ripple or the multiple alt coins?
This is who we are.
Perhaps because it's centralized garbage.
Ok I hear the centralization argument alot but it doesn't sway me because the basic agreement of how any coin works is centrally controlled by the developers.  For example I heard that the devs of doge coin will not limit its mine ability effectively forcing users to change the agreement that were at first stated and agree to 5 billion coins of inflation every year.    

I think one of the main problems with Ripple is in explaining it to people.

A friend of mine in the computer consulting industry has been investing in Ripple for over a year and still has trouble answering basic questions about how it works. Plus the regulatory requirements for central exchanges are even more cloudy than those of Bitcoin.
This is true, but I find it funny when I ask people what money is to hear the answers, hard to explain.  So to me if it is hard to explain that is a good thing.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
Ok I hear the centralization argument alot but it doesn't sway me because the basic agreement of how any coin works is centrally controlled by the developers.  For example I heard that the devs of doge coin will not limit its mine ability effectively forcing users to change the agreement that were at first stated and agree to 5 billion coins of inflation every year.    

I think one of the main problems with Ripple is in explaining it to people.

A friend of mine in the computer consulting industry has been investing in Ripple for over a year and still has trouble answering basic questions about how it works. Plus the regulatory requirements for central exchanges are even more cloudy than those of Bitcoin.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
verified ✔
This is who we are.
This is who we are.
you can'T mine it... simple enough...

any non minable coin are controlled and can be manipulated... stupid idea.
I operate miners too and this is more than a third of my investment into p2p currency so I get where you are coming from.  But other than distributing the network function of the cryptography, rewards for miners are just a planned diminishing subsidy which is getting manipulated massively I might ad, to establish coins popularity via higher valuations.  I will be watching closely how the halving of doge reward affects mining before investing anything else in this.  As the first alt coin halving it will set precedent for all others after it, and that could be a HUGE thing for the whole alt coin space. 
This is who we are.
Ok I hear the centralization argument alot but it doesn't sway me because the basic agreement of how any coin works is centrally controlled by the developers.  For example I heard that the devs of doge coin will not limit its mine ability effectively forcing users to change the agreement that were at first stated and agree to 5 billion coins of inflation every year.   
Activity: 910
Honestly, I've been using Ripple for a little bit. While it's got a lot going for it, best I can say about the client is that it is REALLY BETA. It has loads of problems and it's one of the biggest problems I see with it. Being centralized, even though it's "open source", I don't see as many enthusiasts contributing to the code. There really should be a QT-esque client for it. Very Payward. Sad
Activity: 512
ICO is evil

Re: How is Ripple not considered the best alternative cryptocurrency?

It is based on cap.
Activity: 529
Merit: 500
We are the ones we've been waiting for
Activity: 252
you can'T mine it... simple enough...

any non minable coin are controlled and can be manipulated... stupid idea.
legendary
Activity: 980
This is who we are.
So as the alt scene grows faster than anybody can keep up with with all the new coins, exchanges, and miner tech, I got to thinking about ripple one of the original alts.  Why do I hear so little about this alt when it stands out in the way that every alt wants and even bitcoin itself is having serious trouble with, exchange. 

One of the things I hear within almost every alt community is the first and foremost need to separate the valuation from the bitcoin, by adding the ability to directly and securely exchange cash.  The only 2 p2p currencies that I know you can do this with is bitcoin and ripple.  In fact the largest exchange by market share, https://www.bitstamp.net/ with 29% of the volume and accepting 7 different currencies internationally has been a ripple gateway for as long as I can remember. 

For the US market primarily there is also https://www.snapswap.us/#/welcome which makes getting going with ripple as simple as creating a invoice and sending cash via billpay.  They are even offering a giveaway of upto 2000 ripple(XRP) worth 0.051 BTC according to the rate quoted at https://www.kraken.com/ when I wrote this.  So as a conclusion to this public question, it's only right to disclose I do hold XRP at Kraken since the ripple wallet site its self is lacking the security of 2 factor authorization and Kraken has some of the best security features have found on any exchange.  Also the exchange rate I get at bitstamp is about 20% higher than Kraken.

So with the current exchange problems bitcoin has, the only alternative with international cash exchange capability being ripple, ignoring the btc-e route as it seems way to much of a risk for my dollars, does ripple gain market share now since it is better positioned than any p2p currency?
Pages:
Jump to: