Pages:
Author

Topic: How Lauda censors. - page 2. (Read 1279 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 629
April 21, 2017, 03:06:44 AM
I just got some posts deleted from Lauda in his thread, I must visibly say things on which he doesn't have any answer:

What is holding back other technological countries to compete head to head with these giants? Silicon Valley?
From a technological standpoint... nothing is preventing other countries from competing...

Economically however, have you seen the costs involved in manufacturing in "First World" countries? There is a reason the majority of items you'll find in a lot of stores are all marked "Made in China" (or some other SE Asian country)...

And then there is the enormous costs involved with the production and supply of electricity... If other countries had similar manufacturing and electrical supply costs to China, you can be damn sure that there would be massive mining operations in those countries as well...

Moreover, most electricity for mining in China is probably stolen.

Asic's acctually killed the entrepreneurial spirit of Bitcoin mining for me and industrialized it.

Yes, and that was being built in from the start, if you read Satoshi's early messages.  Bitcoin mining in a P2P network was only to bootstrap the system (with "useful idiots" I would say), but afterwards the idea was that one would go to a centralized mining farm network backbone, with users only having light clients connecting directly to miner nodes, not even downloading the block chain.  That, at least, was bitcoin's initial vision.  

This is why it is ridiculous to be shocked by a 20% gain in efficiency using a smarter calculation, and not be shocked by the introduction of ASICS.

If the current profit margins are 1% and you covertly save 20% energy by using this patented exploit, you are looking at 19-20 times more profit than the competition. The lower the current profit margin, the higher your advantage is (percentage wise).

That's always the case with technological improvements.  The mobile phone completely killed the pager.

This is exactly how the ASIC miner killed the CPU miner.

I already outlined that asicboost is a (quite trivial) improvement of the hash calculation efficiency, in the same way that the standard algorithm is an improvement over "calculating a complete hash for every other nonce":

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18655534

Each time an invention is made public by which the needed proof of work can be done with less (financial) effort, the security of PoW diminishes.

The security of PoW doesn't depend on the effort spent by the miner, but by the effort needed by the attacker (who can use, of course, all public knowledge to do so).

If tomorrow, I publish a technique to show how to calculate proof of work with a difficulty of 10^40 with a pocket calculator, then there's no point in asking miners not to use that technique: any attacker will.  If miners DON'T use it, they will render PoW less secure than if they use it to up the difficulty for the attacker.

I *seriously* doubt that such a trivial optimisation can be patented and that patent upheld in court, because it is the same method that all symmetric key systems routinely use: key-reusage, but in any case, the one that made PoW seriously in trouble is the one that patented that improvement: by publishing it, he made attackers aware of the possibility, and by patenting it, he refrained miners from being able to use it to counter the lowering of the security level.

Note that this kind of thing only comes about because of the fundamental idiocy of PoW as a security mechanism, where the effort of the attacker is not greater than the effort of the "good guy" (the miner).  No other cryptographic protection is so bad.

EDIT: a technical explanation of the asic boost idea is here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18636338

with explanation:

You are not welcome in my threads. Do not respond anymore.

Clearly, there must be some arguments that Lauda has no way to respond to, and hence does what most sophists, when cornered, try to do: censor.

Because you can hardly say that my posts were insulting, spamming, off topic, or whatever.

There must be something in there that perturbs him/her fundamentally.

EDIT: to Lauda, note that this thread is NOT self-censored, so feel free to react.  I believe in free speech.
Pages:
Jump to: