Pages:
Author

Topic: How long do you think we have? - page 3. (Read 4428 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
September 10, 2013, 01:58:14 PM
What is the consequence of central banks writing off the government debt (debt forgiven)?

You can't write off the debt that is hold by foreign investors, but you can write off the debt that is hold by central banks, but will that action hurt anyone?
It'd have similar effects to a default. Central banks must remain solvent, so tons of money must be printed in order to forgive the debt. This would eliminate all confidence in the currency and government. The foreign debt wouldn't be written off in such a case, but eroded in value to the point where it may's well have been.

Central bank is always net plus since they create money and lend those money out (the ownership of those money belongs to FED directly after being created)

If the central bank is really controlled by the government, like some people believe, then they have no problem to destroy the bond they purchased from government, means that they just freely give those printed money to government without asking anything for return

Currently FED are buying 40 billion dollar worth of bonds from government each month(with newly created money). If they just destroy those bonds, then government will get 40 billion dollar free money to spend each month. I don't see any problem with this. Of course there will be a loss from central bank's balance sheet (now they have liabilities without corresponding asset), but since they are the money creator, they don't lose anything

On the other hand, if government get free money to spend, they will spend a lot and create lots of jobs

Actually this practice was done 300 years ago by John Law. He first printed out lots of fiat money and use those money to raise the stock price of mississipi company, and then used those stocks to buy back lots of government bonds and then destroied those bonds, thus helped the government to eliminate the national debt

His faliure is caused by the fact that he printed too much money to raise the stock price of mississipi company, and he could not provide enough gold backing those fiat, thus resulted in a bankrun. But today, FED don't need gold to back the fiat
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
September 10, 2013, 11:15:20 AM
Now who is THAT stupid to believe this regime will be anywhere arround in 100 years? That makes me laugh so hard Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It's because we have a persistent civilization. Persistent idiocracy would be more accurate.
Activity: 152
Merit: 100
September 09, 2013, 12:11:54 AM
But all the people who must use the currency by law will suffer the consequences.

Anyway, most of this regime's debt is held by private institution or individuals as they are issuing small bonds for people last couple years. I even heard some bonds (not neccessarily those for the individuals) have due date of 105 years. Now who is THAT stupid to believe this regime will be anywhere arround in 100 years? That makes me laugh so hard Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
September 08, 2013, 11:58:28 PM
What is the consequence of central banks writing off the government debt (debt forgiven)?

You can't write off the debt that is hold by foreign investors, but you can write off the debt that is hold by central banks, but will that action hurt anyone?
It'd have similar effects to a default. Central banks must remain solvent, so tons of money must be printed in order to forgive the debt. This would eliminate all confidence in the currency and government. The foreign debt wouldn't be written off in such a case, but eroded in value to the point where it may's well have been.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
September 08, 2013, 11:33:21 PM

September 08, 2013, 10:17:15 AM
This is non-government activity, based on regular national bank updates every 3 months. Even if they stopped releasing the news, we know how much they borrow each year, we +- know the interests so it can go on, even though probably not as accurately.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
September 08, 2013, 01:13:21 AM
I've just accidentally run into the counter again at http://www.verejnydluh.cz/. Our current debt is ~1,84 trilion CZK (over 90 bilion USD). Budget for this year was 1,18 trilion. That means, probably next year the debt will rise to 2-year budget.

Of course, everything is fine here, nobody worries. I give it decade max, whaddaya think?

They'll hit some limit then just stop updating.

That's what the U.S. Treasury has done.  The national debt has been stuck at its $16.7T limit since the end of May.  Everyone knows the debt has been growing since, they just have taken "extraordinary" measures:
 - http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/100-days-treasury-has-kept-debt-frozen-16699396000000
September 07, 2013, 09:52:59 PM
I've just accidentally run into the counter again at http://www.verejnydluh.cz/. Our current debt is ~1,84 trilion CZK (over 90 bilion USD). Budget for this year was 1,18 trilion. That means, probably next year the debt will rise to 2-year budget.

Of course, everything is fine here, nobody worries. I give it decade max, whaddaya think?
Pages:
Jump to: