Pages:
Author

Topic: How long does a fan last @ 100% speed? - page 2. (Read 12072 times)

pla
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
March 12, 2012, 05:38:32 AM
A proper ball bearing fan should last a really long time.  It's the cheapo sleeve bearing fans placed on GPU's that fail when pushed hard.

Excellent point - Consider my previous post as not applying to cheap sleeve bearings.  When buying cooling fans, don't skimp on the extra $0.50.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
March 12, 2012, 04:44:19 AM
I have HD5970s that have been mining 24/7 with the fan at 100% for 1+ year. My oldest one has been mining for 1.25 years. But then again I filter my air. There is barely any dust visible on the fan blades. They wouldn't last that long in a dusty environment.

Also, non-reference cards sometimes use fans of quality inferior to the ones found on reference AMD cards such as the HD5970.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
March 12, 2012, 02:03:02 AM
A proper ball bearing fan should last a really long time.  It's the cheapo sleeve bearing fans placed on GPU's that fail when pushed hard.  They were designed for someone playing a video game a couple hours a day, and even then the PWM shouldn't go above something like 60% based on the load a game places on a modern GPU and ambient room temps in an average house.  I should point out that *most* fans you buy, for computers and all other applications (think about fans that run on 110V AC power) are running at 100% all the time.  I don't buy a big fan and go "Hmm, what should I set the speed to in order to make the fan last longer".  What should be focused on is the quality of the bearing instead of what percentage the PWM is at.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
March 11, 2012, 09:54:07 PM

They also don't tend to die while on, only when spinning up.  So for a 24/7/365.24 machine, you really don't need to worry about it.  Seriously, looking at 5+ years even at full speed before it dies (somewhat less if you have pets, and halve that if you smoke indoors). 

The fan in an reference ATI video card might last five years of normal use in a CLEAN COOL environment, mining 24/7 is not normal use.  Even normal clocks they simply will not last five years running constantly mining..   These fans seem to die based on how long they run over 50% speed, so one card on its own not overclocked will run a while, maybe years.  Add in either overclocking or high constant heat from neighboring cards and you are looking at higher fan speeds and earlier death.  

I do not believe you can run most reference cards one year at full speed, let alone five years without failure.  
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
March 11, 2012, 09:50:12 PM
They also don't tend to die while on, only when spinning up.  So for a 24/7/365.24 machine, you really don't need to worry about it.  Seriously, looking at 5+ years even at full speed before it dies
[/quote]
I do hope so. but considering 5870 has only been out 2 1/2 years and I have a handful broken fans, I am a little skeptical.

It's hard to believe fan speed has little to do with its lifespan, unless the bearings are magnetically suspended and frictionless.

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
March 11, 2012, 06:52:09 PM
They also don't tend to die while on, only when spinning up.  So for a 24/7/365.24 machine, you really don't need to worry about it.  Seriously, looking at 5+ years even at full speed before it dies

LOLZ.
pla
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
March 11, 2012, 06:48:20 PM
First, don't worry about the amps.  You want a 12V fan, pick the one with the highest CFM (and/or the lowest db, depending on your needs).  plus or minus a few Watts won't make a damned bit of difference.

That said... The speed of a cooling fan may slightly decrease its useful life, but basically speed doesn't matter except for noise level.

They also don't tend to die while on, only when spinning up.  So for a 24/7/365.24 machine, you really don't need to worry about it.  Seriously, looking at 5+ years even at full speed before it dies (somewhat less if you have pets, and halve that if you smoke indoors).  As it gets near the end of its useful life, pay more attention when you power it up to make sure it actually starts (they usually start making a buzzing/grinding noise for a few seconds on startup, for a few months before completely failing).

As for the 3 vs 4pin connector, you've chosen the "wrong" 3 pins.  You may need to actually split out the wires to get it right, buy you want R/B for +12V/Gnd power, and yellow for the fan signal.  That said, fans cost nothing while good GPUs don't come cheap.
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
March 11, 2012, 02:41:11 PM
I got a bunch of xfx 5870 with broken fans. After failing to find proper 12v x .5A replacements, I decided to use 12v x 0.8A CPU fan in a piggy back mounting configuration.

Problem is, when connecting their 4 pin connectors to 3 pin sys fan sockets on mobo, they always run at 100% (very noisy too!), even though the cooling is excellent, I have to wonder how long they will last.
Pages:
Jump to: