Pages:
Author

Topic: How long has your GPU lasted mining 24/7? - page 2. (Read 27757 times)

Activity: 437
Merit: 250
Your definitely right about having an active ups and I do plan on buying one when I get more asics, more than just the few block erupters I have now. It just never was reasonable to do when running thousand of watts of gpu's

How long your video cards for the most part, relies almost entirely on the power being provided to it. You will have the best success with clean power from the outlet, from the power supply, from the motherboard and finally from the voltage regulators on the card itself. Many people think its the temperature itself but high temps just put your voltage regulators closer to their highest tolerances, which then results in failing components

Unfortunantly if you don't have a (high quality, line active) UPS, ensuring good power from the outlet is difficult or just impossible. I am very skeptical of cheap (<$20) surge suppression devices that a lot of people will think are actively doing something, when in fact they are just a $0.50 MOV or two and some wires on the inside.

The AC side of a quality switch mode PSU is usually pretty good at sorting some kinds of problems with the AC line. Many of the expensive ones can these days can even shut themselves down if they detect strange transient voltages, to protect themselves. There should be some good energy storage on both sides of the high frequency transformer, that helps give good smooth DC power on the output.

For example my Corsair HX1000 has even survived ~1 second complete power outages where most of my other computers and appliances have shut down, no doubt thanks to the huge electrolytic caps that must be inside it, and with not even 1% change on the DC output mind you!
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
Since June 2011: 1-XFX6950,2-XFX-6970's.OC'ed a little to get 400mhs from the 6970's & 365mhs from the 6950  Cool  Going on ebay in a week or 2  Sad

All have double lifetime warranty  Wink

Just shut em down last week due to electric costs & my 30GH from BFL arrived,along with 1.2GH in BE's  Grin
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
My advice never use new GPUs for mining, the ROI hard to sustain, get the second hands ones cheap.   Also mining does seems to affect my graphic cards that I used for playing games esp running 24/7
Activity: 546
How long your video cards for the most part, relies almost entirely on the power being provided to it. You will have the best success with clean power from the outlet, from the power supply, from the motherboard and finally from the voltage regulators on the card itself. Many people think its the temperature itself but high temps just put your voltage regulators closer to their highest tolerances, which then results in failing components

Unfortunantly if you don't have a (high quality, line active) UPS, ensuring good power from the outlet is difficult or just impossible. I am very skeptical of cheap (<$20) surge suppression devices that a lot of people will think are actively doing something, when in fact they are just a $0.50 MOV or two and some wires on the inside.

The AC side of a quality switch mode PSU is usually pretty good at sorting some kinds of problems with the AC line. Many of the expensive ones can these days can even shut themselves down if they detect strange transient voltages, to protect themselves. There should be some good energy storage on both sides of the high frequency transformer, that helps give good smooth DC power on the output.

For example my Corsair HX1000 has even survived ~1 second complete power outages where most of my other computers and appliances have shut down, no doubt thanks to the huge electrolytic caps that must be inside it, and with not even 1% change on the DC output mind you!
Activity: 437
copper member
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032
I have seen MANY card come and go, Though I do have 2 5870's xfx reference cards that have been going for just over a year now, They have only been on 300mem 800core on a 1v (think its 1.08 really) with 75% fan, So nice and easy on these cards and it has paid off, I did blow a 5970 in a month with 200/875 overvolted 100% fan Do'h
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
I have a 5770 that has been running for 2 years and 4 months now.

It still runs fine, except that whenever the miner application isn't running, the fan starts clicking for some reason.
Activity: 447
Back in the day (last year) I ran 6 X 5970 and 3x 5830. Ran them for 13 months in the 80c range running 24/7.

All cards were purchased used on Ebay.

5830s never had a single issue and sold them for more than I bought them for. Had two fans die on 5970s, both were easily replaced. One 5970 died after about 11 months of mining, got the impression  that it was pretty heavily used prior to purchase though.
Activity: 406
I've been actively trying to burnout my 5850... lol it's old and my wife says I can only have 2 GPUs so this is how I must get a new 7950

It's been running 24/7 at 90-95 degrees for a little over a month.

That damn thing gets SICK and DEAD, but a restart revives it. 

It's never gonna die.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
About 15 cards.  I have bought and sold some but half of my cards started having fan issues after about two years.  I have 'refurbished' them by replacing fans, heat paste and heat pads and they work great.  I have never had a card totally die never to be repaired but I also do not overvolt my cards.
Activity: 630
Two 5830's running 100% @ 75-80C constantly since mid 2011.  A fan just burned out on one of them last week.

7970 running since it was released and no problems yet, but I consider it still pretty new.

Just dust 'em and keep them under 85C and they seem to run forever.  I have 17 years of computer experience and these AMD cards seems to be REALLY well built.  I've gone through hdd's, ssd's, and blown up PSU's while these GPU's just keep churning.
Activity: 454
Technology and Women. Amazing.
One of my cards is a Gigabyte model 6950 2GB with the shader unlock.
It's been mining for just over 2 years 24/7 at around 65-70C. Mildly overclocked 50mhz on gpu core, memory clock is untouched, since I use the card to do other things also.
It'll play WoW and mine at the same time, cuts mining speed in half but WoW is very playable still, with an average of 40fps.
Activity: 572
3 months now going 24/7 flat stick and all on FREE electricity  Grin

8 x 7950
2 x 7970
1 x 5970
1 x 5830

Only just yesterday one of my 7950 had a Meltdown and self destructed, see below!!! Lucky Gigabyte has 3 years warranty...

Ouch. Was it the SMD capacitor/resistors on that side or was there a power transistor or something on the other side of the PCB?

Without taking off the heatsink it looks like it was just the cermanic SMD capacitor that self destructed, on both sides. Call me sad but I actually enjoy it when it shits itself like that, nothing worse than a dead card without any evidence of what actually happened...  Grin
Activity: 546

8 x 7950
2 x 7970
1 x 5970
1 x 5830

Only just yesterday one of my 7950 had a Meltdown and self destructed, see below!!! Lucky Gigabyte has 3 years warranty...

Ouch. Was it the SMD capacitor/resistors on that side or was there a power transistor or something on the other side of the PCB?
Activity: 756
Mine was second hand and they never broke down until I took them down when GPU mining was no longer profitable.
Activity: 572

8 x 7950
2 x 7970
1 x 5970
1 x 5830

Activity: 462
Firing it up
A week, with different rate as Even I use the 7970 to speed up, still too slow.
Activity: 14
I've had my 6950 running for a solid 3 years now with no problems so far.
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
I have a rig running since August 2011 with 5850's and its still running to this very moment, some fans have died over time and i just stuck some aftermarket fans on, and they are still mining away.

And my temps arent even low 80-90. So I can say GPU's are pretty strong..
Activity: 14
I have 3 7950s running for 4months now at 64-68 degrees! Not sure why its so cool? Surely a good thing though..
Pages:
Jump to: