Pages:
Author

Topic: how long to transfer coins directly from the client? - page 2. (Read 2586 times)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10
If a fee is payed you should see the first confirmation on average within 5-10 minutes.

I thought fees were mandatory nowadays...  (but I'm new and could easily be mistaken)
Activity: 174
Merit: 101
You probably haven't downloaded the whole blockchain yet. Check on blockexplorer.com what the latest block number is.

You know, this would be an outstanding feature for the/a client to have.  How many questions like this does the board field per day? 

Yea, the Bitcoin client and economy is very beta right now, so it's not very intuitive and user-friendly just yet. A lot of these issues are definitely being worked on however.
Activity: 126
So if I wanted to meet someone and trade cash for bitcoins in person, we'd have to sit around a coffee shop with wifi for an hour or so to confirm the transaction?

If a fee is payed you should see the first confirmation on average within 5-10 minutes. Often you will see the transaction before it goes into a block. How long you wait is simply a matter of how much you trust each other.

Activity: 174
So if I wanted to meet someone and trade cash for bitcoins in person, we'd have to sit around a coffee shop with wifi for an hour or so to confirm the transaction?

3rd party infrastructure is required for more immediate transactions, yes. Although it's as easy as exchanging between MyBitcoin accounts. But even then this is only necessary if you want to protect yourself from double spending.
Activity: 284
Merit: 250
You probably haven't downloaded the whole blockchain yet. Check on blockexplorer.com what the latest block number is.

You know, this would be an outstanding feature for the/a client to have.  How many questions like this does the board field per day? 
foo
Activity: 409
Merit: 250
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Usually not longer than an hour.  He may have scammed you.  Make sure your client shows connections.
Activity: 182
thread title pretty much says it, say I've had someone send me coins directly to my wallet, how long will it take to process?

This is the first time I've ever dealt with this and I had someone send me a few coins a few hours ago, am I just being impatient or is something wrong?

A couple of hours is pretty long.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
thread title pretty much says it, say I've had someone send me coins directly to my wallet, how long will it take to process?

This is the first time I've ever dealt with this and I had someone send me a few coins a few hours ago, am I just being impatient or is something wrong?
Pages:
Jump to: