Pages:
Author

Topic: How long would take to break a 13 character password - page 3. (Read 4866 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1169
I'm not 100% sure that we can trust these websites, but you should check:

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

http://random-ize.com/how-long-to-hack-pass/
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003
I want to ask the tech guys here a few questions

I use for my all desktop wallets a password which is 13 character long and it consists of 2 words which only make senses to me and 2 number plus one special character, letters are small and capital ones.

How long would take from state sponsorship attack to bruteforce it ?

What about if I put this password to a RAR file which I keep all my documents and seeds encrypted , how much time if state sponsored attack have my file ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Try to use different but similar passwords if you can't use totally different passwords for each login/wallet etc.

If you use only once a 13 char password including numbers and symbols I shouldn't care much about because it is strong enough.
Activity: 672
Merit: 508
LOTEO
My password consists of 2 words 1 is in English 1 is in another language there are 2 numbers and 1 special character in the end.
Hackers use word lists. A simple program tries 5000 combinations per second. State actors probably have 1.000.000 or more passwords per second.

I have tried in a website which calculates how much is needed to crack it (the RAR) in that website. It says to me that even with 100.000 PC with 500.000 passwords per seconds it needs about 12.000 years and a bit more to crack. I think this is safe, as the computers there are cluster computers and not just 100.000 pc connected to each others.
12.000 years is off, because you use words from English language. Hackers do not need to try every combination like abCD$!. It also assumes your computer is secure and you don't have any programs that spy on you. Even (state-owned) computers without internet can be hacked, like that system in Iran.

A good password makes it harder to access your computer, but not impossible.

If this file goes in the hand of a national security agency how long it will take approximately to crack it ? If it is more than 1 month for me is OK, I will transfer my bitcoins to another wallet during this time without problems.

Edit: The English word cannot be found in any dictionary, it's a special word , people use it rarely and I checked a few dictionaries and couldn't find this word there.
Those guys are really awesome  Smiley I bet they can do it in under 30 seconds using automated tools.

I would need about 5 minutes, 4 to grab a cup of coffee and 1 to open your file system.

I accept your challenge. You reward if you can break my test password of 14 digits you will get 0.005 btc

Here is the link to the test

http://rioupload.com/nkpnjs336gqm

Let's see if you are truly a good hacker or all you have is just vain talk.
0.005 btc  Huh Huh Cheesy

Smiley  what's wrong my mate you don't like 0.005 btc as payment for a mere 5 minutes work you have to do ? This is according to you that have said before, I would need about 5 minutes, 4 to grab a cup of coffee and 1 to open my file. You cannot do it or you can do it as I am not understanding anymore Huh
Yes, I'm greedy  Grin The link is not the direct link to the rar file, but to a page.
14 is a tad long though. I could crack a 4-5 digit rar for you on this machine.

Edit: OP clearly uses dictionary words and not digits, which makes a big difference.

Activity: 658
Merit: 501
Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)
My password consists of 2 words 1 is in English 1 is in another language there are 2 numbers and 1 special character in the end.
Hackers use word lists. A simple program tries 5000 combinations per second. State actors probably have 1.000.000 or more passwords per second.

I have tried in a website which calculates how much is needed to crack it (the RAR) in that website. It says to me that even with 100.000 PC with 500.000 passwords per seconds it needs about 12.000 years and a bit more to crack. I think this is safe, as the computers there are cluster computers and not just 100.000 pc connected to each others.
12.000 years is off, because you use words from English language. Hackers do not need to try every combination like abCD$!. It also assumes your computer is secure and you don't have any programs that spy on you. Even (state-owned) computers without internet can be hacked, like that system in Iran.

If this file goes in the hand of a national security agency how long it will take approximately to crack it ? If it is more than 1 month for me is OK, I will transfer my bitcoins to another wallet during this time without problems.

Edit: The English word cannot be found in any dictionary, it's a special word , people use it rarely and I checked a few dictionaries and couldn't find this word there.
Those guys are really awesome  Smiley I bet they can do it in under 30 seconds using automated tools.

I would need about 5 minutes, 4 to grab a cup of coffee and 1 to open your file system.

I accept your challenge. You reward if you can break my test password of 14 digits you will get 0.005 btc

0.005 btc  Huh Huh Cheesy

Smiley  what's wrong my mate you don't like 0.005 btc as payment for a mere 5 minutes work you have to do ? This is according to you that have said before, I would need about 5 minutes, 4 to grab a cup of coffee and 1 to open my file. You cannot do it or you can do it as I am not understanding anymore Huh
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
One world One currency, Bitcoin.
well this is really a hard job to calculate the cracking time but i can guess how hard it will be the computer has to guess near about 500000+ word combinations and your password will hardly be anywhere in them but i do not think that much effor will pay me untill you have more than 10btc
LOTEO

0.005 btc  Huh Huh Cheesy
why are you using any words of any type in the first place? there's only 250-300,000 in English, far less in other languages. memorize some random nonsense and you're suddenly far ahead of the game.

I put up a test password of 14 digits as I found it very much entertaining how this guy will crack it in 5 minutes. I am still waiting here and nothing happened and I bet all my belongings he cannot find it even in one month and not in 5 minutes. I just need information for special needs as I may start working for national security in my country and I will be assigned to be in charge of extremely delicate documents to make sure they are safe always at any time, under any circumstances, that's why I have opened up this thread in the first place and now is becoming truly interesting.

You are wrong about words, Arabic Language have at least 10 mln words ,some say even 40 mln.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
why are you using any words of any type in the first place? there's only 250-300,000 in English, far less in other languages. memorize some random nonsense and you're suddenly far ahead of the game.

Those guys are really awesome  Smiley I bet they can do it in under 30 seconds using automated tools.

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

It is true, There is no safe password because there many tools for cracking algo. But a 13 characters is a very difficult password based on my experience and even a pro hacker without a clue about on your personal info will not gonna make it within a day.

Really depends on which dictionary you are using and how you are using it.
Knowing it's two English words, it won't take long.

Or I should just say it's not secure enough.
Activity: 946
Merit: 500
Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

It is true, There is no safe password because there many tools for cracking algo. But a 13 characters is a very difficult password based on my experience and even a pro hacker without a clue about on your personal info will not gonna make it within a day.
LOTEO

Those guys are really awesome  Smiley I bet they can do it in under 30 seconds using automated tools.

Thank you but let me tell you a bit more about it so you can give me a more accurate explanation (this one is accurate enough but I want to add a little info here)

A cluster computer have a tons of GPU to try to crack your passwords.

I know hackers cannot break it as the maximum they may have is 1,2 or about 20 clusters maximum but state has as many cluster as they want so regarding this is my question.

staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code

I use for my all desktop wallets a password which is 13 character long and it consists of 2 words which only make senses to me and 2 number plus one special character, letters are small and capital ones.
If those two words are words in a dictionary, then it is significantly easier to crack since dictionary attacks are very easy to do. However if they are not or are in a different language than english, then the difficulty for cracking goes way up. Even with word mangling and some extra numbers or special characters, the password could still be vulnerable to a dictionary attack.

That's hard to say, especially without knowing what the password is.

What about if I put this password to a RAR file which I keep all my documents and seeds encrypted , how much time if state sponsored attack have my file ?
In that case, it also depends on the encryption algorithm. Also, since you are reusing the password, if it is compromised in one place, then the time to crack it somewhere else is 0.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Pages:
Jump to: