Pages:
Author

Topic: How many bitcoins can you mine with a typical computer? - page 2. (Read 19949 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Don't bother trying to mine Bitcoin with anything but an ASIC. "Normal" computers have been outdated for Bitcoin mining for years, you'll just spend money on electric for pretty close to ZERO bitcoins mined.
 You'll barely even manage to mine dust.

Scrypt is almost as bad, the last 2+ years.

non-SHA256 non-Scrypt coins can be profitable with some computer setups, depending on the cost of your electric, but RoI is still iffy due to low returns.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
if you have a good gpu you can point at ethereum, and have more profit than an asic mining bitcoin, but this is for altcoin section

which is located here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=160.0
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
You've been here a month and haven't bothered to read about dedicated miners?  Click on Mining, then Mining Hardware and read one of Dogie's threads Tongue

TO answer you Q, you get essentially nothing from a PC/Mac at present.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
You will likely never find a block especially if you are on a laptop or something, the chances probably a bit less than winning the Powerball.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
I did it last year with a really good pc just for trying. I think I got an average of a few thousands satoshi everyday, so it's really dust of nothing xD
[/quote]

Wow! This is really something. Just that? A thousand satoshis. Was tempted to work out this my own. Anyway, thanks for the note.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Dust or nothing. Well, for a computer that is between $300 - $500 (assuming USD), you dont stand a chance of mining anything. Joining a valid pool might give you some satoshi but when compared to the cost of electricity and the price of the computer, you are not making a profit. I'd suggest you to buy a mining hardware between $300 - $500 instead, it could bring you some profit. If you really want to mind using computer - because you dont like mining hardware or whatsoever - you can try mining Altcoin. One tip, there is some profit-switching altcoin mining pool. Smiley.

Have fun mining (if you really intended to)! Smiley.

I did it last year with a really good pc just for trying. I think I got an average of a few thousands satoshi everyday, so it's really dust of nothing xD
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Move On !!!!!!
Nearly none, even the days of GPU mining are gone. Think of it as burning down your computer bit by bit, if you even try it. Only ones that are profitable are mining specific hardware such as S X series, Antminer series, and even a small profitability is not guaranteed unless you have very ow or free electricity , cooling and or place to keep the hardware, and lastly the amount of miners you have.

tl;dr , any attempt at mining at the moment is useless.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001
Personal Text Space Not For Sale
Dust or nothing. Well, for a computer that is between $300 - $500 (assuming USD), you dont stand a chance of mining anything. Joining a valid pool might give you some satoshi but when compared to the cost of electricity and the price of the computer, you are not making a profit. I'd suggest you to buy a mining hardware between $300 - $500 instead, it could bring you some profit. If you really want to mind using computer - because you dont like mining hardware or whatsoever - you can try mining Altcoin. One tip, there is some profit-switching altcoin mining pool. Smiley.

Have fun mining (if you really intended to)! Smiley.
Activity: 70
Merit: 0
Hello everyone how many bitcoins do you think you could mine if you joined a pool on just a normal computer let's just say the computers price range was $300-$500
I know it ways on allot of variables like what pool and the computers components but i am only asking for a typical guestimate Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: