Pages:
Author

Topic: How many of you have had coins stolen? - page 3. (Read 2115 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
June 11, 2013, 10:17:28 AM
Thus far I wasn't scammed or got coins stolen. Guess I was lucky. But amongst other things wallet security is one of the most pressing problems if any of the cryptocoins is to ever become more than some niche thing for a bunch of nerds. And that's what they still are. The fact that some of the coins actually have some nice value to them just means that some of the rich nerds got into the game.
Activity: 693
Merit: 500
June 11, 2013, 10:16:06 AM
I just wanted to hear some stories and other people's experience with stolen coins.  I recently played around with mining BBQcoins because the difficulty was low enough that my CPU mined almost 50 over the weekend on bbq.ltcoin.net  About three hours ago someone changed my wallet address and cashed out all of my coins.  Easy come, easy go I guess.  As far as I know nothing can be done about it.

Here's a link to the offending address transactions:

http://bbq.cryptocoinexplorer.com/a/bNrig8885j

The 40.54 and 3.28 balances used to be mine.

Chad

Chad,

I think this is systemic to ltcoin.net - their admin emailed me last night to check that my wallet address was right (for mining YAC), however it was NOT.  Luckily for me, I mine enough that I auto-cashout every 8-12 hours, and didn't have enough for a cashout on the next payout after it got changed.  I don't think this is an account-stealing thing, this is more likely a vulnerability in the web software (I would guess a SQL injection vulnerability somewhere).  Sorry you lost your BBQ though - stinks man.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
June 11, 2013, 10:06:14 AM
bbc?
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
June 11, 2013, 09:09:59 AM
the other day my btce acount was hacked thay only sent mesages to everyone i had been mesaging with a link to some  site with a trojen

thay couldent steel my btc because you need to conferm in a email the passwork on that account was a8rm7sW6m8aAb27 not a easy pasword any ideas ?

Two step verification helps, indeed. Wish they have feature withdraw only to address you added, without the possibility to change it
Activity: 14
June 11, 2013, 09:00:05 AM
i got stolen 5 yacoin once, but it wasn't much LOL  Kiss
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
June 11, 2013, 07:58:30 AM
I was stolen a large amount of btc by E&G, payb.tc, Hightower (one and the same)
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1388781
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoinmaxcom-closed-83904

That sucks. I hope you can recover some of your coins.
Activity: 174
Merit: 253
June 11, 2013, 06:00:42 AM
I was stolen a large amount of btc by E&G, payb.tc, Hightower (one and the same)
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1388781
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoinmaxcom-closed-83904
Activity: 5
June 11, 2013, 05:44:27 AM
the other day my btce acount was hacked thay only sent mesages to everyone i had been mesaging with a link to some  site with a trojen

thay couldent steel my btc because you need to conferm in a email the passwork on that account was a8rm7sW6m8aAb27 not a easy pasword any ideas ?
Activity: 16
June 10, 2013, 11:04:02 PM
Hope everyone is using unique passwords at every forum & pool that they join.   You're crazy if you're using the same password/username at any two BTC or crypto-related sites.
June 10, 2013, 11:00:38 PM
I got scammed on btcjam...
Activity: 40
June 10, 2013, 10:56:48 PM

Damn - well I guess the moral of the story is to get your coins from the mining site as fast as you can into your local wallet - sry you lost your coin...

That is a very good point. I never really thought it would be a big deal to let them sit somewhere but that is where I hear of most people losing their coins.
Activity: 40
June 10, 2013, 10:55:17 PM
Thanks for this thread. It's good that someone is trying to report the scammers. Even if they aren't scamming much, they are stealing from someone. I wanted to also share this chat faucet I just stumbled across. The other chat faucet that I have looked at are all closed but this one is fully functioning!! I think they also have some game rooms too but I haven't checked them out yet.

http://coinchat.org/r:reneedr
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
June 10, 2013, 10:18:36 PM
your main priority should be to find the way you got robbed 

I don't think the issue was on my end.  I never reuse passwords and nothing else has been compromised.  The password was never wrote down or stored anywhere, except for my memory.  I will admit to using a very simple password for that particular site that would fall to a dictionary attack pretty quickly.  I felt silly mining BBQcoins and was more lax than usual.  heh..

One thing I did notice was the hashrate of the pool dropped to about 15% of what I had been seeing before and 21 out of the last 30 solutions came from the username "sorry4stealingcoin".  Another one of the top hash rates for the pool started coming from "thattheweakestpasswo".

I changed my password on the site and sent an e-mail to the admin about getting the 2.5 or so coins still left.

Chad

Damn - well I guess the moral of the story is to get your coins from the mining site as fast as you can into your local wallet - sry you lost your coin...
June 10, 2013, 10:09:20 PM
il lost 4 litecoins before
Activity: 672
Merit: 250
June 10, 2013, 09:05:43 PM

I don't think the issue was on my end.  I never reuse passwords and nothing else has been compromised.  The password was never wrote down or stored anywhere, except for my memory.  I will admit to using a very simple password for that particular site that would fall to a dictionary attack pretty quickly.  I felt silly mining BBQcoins and was more lax than usual.  heh..

One thing I did notice was the hashrate of the pool dropped to about 15% of what I had been seeing before and 21 out of the last 30 solutions came from the username "sorry4stealingcoin".  Another one of the top hash rates for the pool started coming from "thattheweakestpasswo".

I changed my password on the site and sent an e-mail to the admin about getting the 2.5 or so coins still left.

Chad
Activity: 672
June 10, 2013, 08:52:29 PM
I just wanted to hear some stories and other people's experience with stolen coins.  I recently played around with mining BBQcoins because the difficulty was low enough that my CPU mined almost 50 over the weekend on bbq.ltcoin.net  About three hours ago someone changed my wallet address and cashed out all of my coins.  Easy come, easy go I guess.  As far as I know nothing can be done about it.

Chad

pm me when you get 10 posts and i will give you 250 bbq  Grin

Sweet!!

Thanks man!  heh..

Chad
Activity: 326
June 10, 2013, 08:30:32 PM
Activity: 5
June 10, 2013, 08:14:21 PM

Chad

pm me when you get 10 posts and i will give you 250 bbq  Grin
Activity: 326
June 10, 2013, 08:11:33 PM
sorry to hear that
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
June 10, 2013, 08:10:21 PM
I think he ment that someone hacked his pool account and stole his coins.

That sucks man.
Pages:
Jump to: