Pages:
Author

Topic: How many people stop mining in the summer? - page 2. (Read 6084 times)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501
I open the window.  Pretty simple solution.  Then again, it's not exactly very hot here. Smiley
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
I move my mining rigs into the garage during the summer. I don't push my cards hard (1000mhz core for 7950/7970 mining BTC) so temps are no problem. Also using riser cables and getting the GPU's away from each other drops the temp a good 10 degrees Celsius on each card. I just spread my mining rigs out over a couple folding tables.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

(higher heat = higher resistance = more power consumed)...

Hmmmm. That doesn't sound right. Most of the heat produced is power loss on the die, which has a silicon substrate. Silicon is a semiconductor, so the resistance actually goes DOWN as temperature goes up.

Must be some other reason power draw increases at high temp.
Activity: 873
Merit: 1007
I'm moving my rigs down south since it we nice and cold down there.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
I wrote the --auto-fan and --auto-gpu features so I wouldn't have to stop mining in summer... Of course if you can't get the heat out of your house or it's in your own room or whatever, that's a different problem.
Activity: 373
I use water cooling, strapped to the copper-pipe going into my hot-water tank and sprinkers and tapped into my pool-pump/hot-tub...

Free hot water, lower AC bills, lower electric bills (higher heat = higher resistance = more power consumed)...

Not to mention the hot air is all pumped into the attic, where the 150F GPU air is cooler than the 212F+ attic-air.

That is called ghetto geo-thermal cooling... lol... the cool water coming from underground is a constant 65F here. And I drink coffee all day long, and flush, and shower, and filter the pool, so cooling isn't lacking.

Nice elaborate setup! How what is the depth of the water table and how deep does it extend?
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
I use water cooling, strapped to the copper-pipe going into my hot-water tank and sprinkers and tapped into my pool-pump/hot-tub...

Free hot water, lower AC bills, lower electric bills (higher heat = higher resistance = more power consumed)...

Not to mention the hot air is all pumped into the attic, where the 150F GPU air is cooler than the 212F+ attic-air.

That is called ghetto geo-thermal cooling... lol... the cool water coming from underground is a constant 65F here. And I drink coffee all day long, and flush, and shower, and filter the pool, so cooling isn't lacking.
Activity: 322
I AM A DRAGON
Does the summer months have an effect on the difficulty?  If you spend most of your time in the same room as GPU's mining 24/7, it's gotta get pretty uncomfortable.

There was some of that.  But this summer, if the heat doesn't shut them off the rise in difficulty vs. rise in price definitely will.

Maybe bitcoins but there are also altcoins
1:1 clone bytecoin lol
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Does the summer months have an effect on the difficulty?  If you spend most of your time in the same room as GPU's mining 24/7, it's gotta get pretty uncomfortable.

There was some of that.  But this summer, if the heat doesn't shut them off the rise in difficulty vs. rise in price definitely will.

Activity: 674
Merit: 500
Pages:
Jump to: