Pages:
Author

Topic: How many types of Altcoin are there? - page 2. (Read 454 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 100
March 29, 2018, 06:31:21 AM
there are a thousands of tokens in markets like coin market cap so definitely coins are should have many types by its own criteria so you can check it in markets and count it so you can find any disadvantage of any coins that they have.
Activity: 448
Merit: 2
March 29, 2018, 06:26:48 AM
Now that there is a lot of Altcoin in the market, do you know how many types it has?
I would share the altcoins by the consensus mechanisms that they use. There are already a great number of consensus algorithms, I will not disclose their theoretical part, I'll give just examples.
1. Proof Of Work / PoW (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Monero, ZCash, Dogecoin, etc).
2. Proof of Stake / PoS (VCash, BitBay, Peercoin, Qtum, Stratis, etc).
3. Proof of Stake Time / PoST (Vericoin).
4. Delegated Proof Of Stake / DPOS (Steemit, EOS, BitShares).
5. TAPOS.
6. dBFT (NEO).
7. BFT (Hyperledger, Stellar, Dispatch, and Ripple).
8. Proof Of Activity (Ethereum Kovan).
9. Proof Of Burn (Slimcoin).
10. Proof of Weight (Algorand, Filecoin, Chia).
11. Proof of Capacity.
12. Proof of Storage (SC).
13. Proof of Checkpoint / PoC.
14. Proof of Importance (NEM).
15. Directed Acyclic Graphs (Iota, Hashgraph, Raiblocks/Nano).
Activity: 1078
Merit: 270
March 29, 2018, 04:59:57 AM
Now that there is a lot of Altcoin in the market, do you know how many types it has?

I never counted it, I think pretty much maybe thousands of coins, in marketcap alone there are 1594 altcoin. the number of very many, even impossible to find out all. and most altcoins have no future, even left by the developers
Activity: 1176
Merit: 509
March 29, 2018, 04:53:50 AM
I don't know the exact numbers of altcoins. Maybe we should base on the coins which are registered on the coinmarketcap. Their numbers is continuosly growing because there are still ongoing ICOs and cryptocurrency is now becoming more popular all over the world.
Activity: 266
Merit: 113
March 28, 2018, 01:41:49 AM
Altcoins appear every day and just disappear,but not all of them are of what value. According https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/ there are now 1524 altcoins.
Activity: 588
Merit: 100
March 28, 2018, 01:19:42 AM
I think there is only one kind of altcoin. Btc, Eth, Lite, all of these coins and other coins are all cryptocurrencies. There is no such thing as a classification of a specific coin. They all use blockchain technology and i would say that the only difference between these coins is their value. One coin is not special compared to other because they are all the same, the only contradiction that separates them is the consistency of its value.
Activity: 882
Merit: 403
March 25, 2018, 12:50:16 PM

Obviously, there really are quite a lot of types of crypto currencies or altcoins out there and the number is increasing. Now, without someone keeping track of how fast the numbers are increasing for us, it will be pretty hard to point out exactly just how much types of altcoins there really are here in the crypto world. But still, it is really possible for anyone to know if he does take the time and effort to really look at all the coins out there if he is really curious. which is clearly pretty taxing for anyone.
Activity: 546
Merit: 10
March 24, 2018, 05:23:07 PM
There are very, very many projects today that are very well developed and those that do not develop at all, I think that there are more such projects, well, in a couple of years, I think that most of the projects that do nothing just disappear.
Activity: 336
Merit: 12
March 24, 2018, 05:21:30 PM

The real number of altcoins is now 10 000+. That's a lot, the other problem is that they don't carry anything new to the crypto market, in most cases.
Activity: 1442
Merit: 265
March 23, 2018, 08:03:00 AM
Around 1500 alts are already listed on coinmarketcap but i believe there are many more alts trading on exchanges, there are many many coin models are introduced now including pow, pos, profit share, dividend paying, utility tokens and many more.
Activity: 406
Merit: 10
March 23, 2018, 07:54:02 AM
The essence of your question is not clear what you mean by the word type!? Type most likely is the availability of its blockchain, otherwise I see no reason to classify coins.
Activity: 140
Merit: 0
March 23, 2018, 07:45:06 AM
As time goes by the coins have evolved, some lost, others are transformed or may be renamed. Classifying them might be a hard time. The best way to analyze them I guess is to understand how each is used and know how the coin fits your needs.
Activity: 700
Merit: 254
March 23, 2018, 07:34:04 AM

There are definitely too many. The majority of them are just redundant with no major technology implemented.
Perhaps, if you cut the number to 100 or less, then you would see a cleaner environment.
Activity: 882
Merit: 301
March 23, 2018, 07:20:41 AM
"do you know how many types it has?"

You mean to say how many altcoins fall under the category as security coins? utility coins? privacy coins? and other categories?
Activity: 392
Merit: 11
March 23, 2018, 05:20:39 AM
Based on Coinmarketcap, there are around 900+ coins available.
You can take a look at this link https://coinmarketcap.com/coins/views/all/
Activity: 217
Merit: 120
Presale is live!
March 23, 2018, 05:20:04 AM
There are many ways to differentiate between all the altcoins. E.g., you can differentiate them based on their mining algorithm. It can be Proof of Work, Proof of Stake or the new way which is DAG. You can also differentiate based on their use cases and their target markets. Like Bitcoin is a store of value and payment system while Ethereum is a platform for decentralized applications.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000
March 23, 2018, 05:15:11 AM
You can have a look at https://coinmarketcap.com/ to see how many they are listing right now, this is not an exhaustive list however as Coinmarket cap does not list every single coin but a good majority of them will be listed here along with various links to social and forum platforms.
Activity: 1848
Merit: 298
Buzz App - Spin wheel, farm rewards
March 23, 2018, 05:00:37 AM
If I'd want to classify alt coins, I'll firstly classify them into these groups.

1. Having their own blockchain
           1.1 Mineable
           1.2 Fully mined
Both of them can now be categorised according to their algorithm like SHA256, EThash, Scrypt, Cryptonote, etc.

2. Don't have their own chain and are issued on sidechain of supported coins. Eg. ETH token, NEM token, NEO token.

Coins that are limited in transaction within a website cannot be considered as cryptocoin.
Activity: 121
March 23, 2018, 04:49:57 AM

total coin alternative 1577 and one coin is Bitcoin. so all the total cryptocoin is 1578 coins. to my knowledge it, thanks..

For now I can't say how many kinds of altcoin in crypto currency world because there is lot of token/coin are expose during bounty campaign. We can't classify it one by one.
Activity: 182
March 23, 2018, 04:36:30 AM

total coin alternative 1577 and one coin is Bitcoin. so all the total cryptocoin is 1578 coins. to my knowledge it, thanks..
Pages:
Jump to: