Pages:
Author

Topic: How many USB Device on a single system ? - page 2. (Read 3045 times)

Activity: 399
Merit: 250
Split it out as much as possible on separate controllers.

Your throughput will be better.

USB *may* be able to handle 127 devices... but it can only talk to one at a time

By splitting it out to 4 controllers, it can speak to 4 AT A TIME.

If one goes defective then you only loose 25% of your operation... not 100%

Note when I say CONTROLLER I mean HOST controller with a direct distinct & individual data-path back to the CPU.
Activity: 174
Merit: 100
AFAIK, The USB spec can only handle 127 devices per controller. You can always add a new controller.

That is 100% correct. It's also important to note that a lot of motherboards ship with more than 1 USB controller. The one I'm using to type this has 4 distinct controllers.

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003
just use a USB hub with its own power supply and u wont have a problem
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfl-single-problems-electrical-issue-182892

People have already been using >40 USB miners on one computer.

AFAIK, The USB spec can only handle 127 devices per controller. You can always add a new controller.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
If this is such a technical feat, just buy 3x£200 laptops.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
Hi there,

I'm in the process to create a dedicated FPGA Rig. So my question is, how many units do you control succesfull over USB on a single system?

I know, there is be a hard limit of 127 per system. But I'm sure I dont will hit that mark. I'm thinking more about 20, 40 or maybee 60 Units per Windows 7 system.

I know, many USB devices can slow down your system. It is better to choose an i3/i5 CPU with 8 GB memory or is an cheap K6 succesfull as well ?

Furthermore, i prefer CGMiner as mining software. Can it handle 20, 40 or 60 devices or must I open several instances ? Does several instances affect the overall system performance ? I think, the little windows of CGMiner can not show more as about 10 hashing units at once ?

Does anybody have already expirience with this ? Should be, as I'm pretty late with it....but better late as never Cheesy

Thank you for your advise,
Luke
Pages:
Jump to: