Pages:
Author

Topic: How much health care should the government provide? - page 2. (Read 1784 times)

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001
As much as it takes to save a life, and cure or help any diseases that are not life threatening.
As much as it takes to save which life? A dehydrated infant, or an ancient cancer patient?

Ability is responsibility, if you are able to save another's life without endangering yours, and you do nothing, then you are responsible for their death.
If I can extend my life by saving money for future medical expenses, then does spending it on someone else count as endangering my life?
legendary
Activity: 947
Merit: 1042
Hamster ate my bitcoin
Ability is responsibility, if you are able to save another's life without endangering yours, and you do nothing, then you are responsible for their death.
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
As much as it takes to save a life, and cure or help any diseases that are not life threatening.
Bonus question for people who didn't select "none" - why that much, not more or less?
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
The most that any government should ever do is protect citizens against force and fraud. This means having a police system, court system, and perhaps defensive military. That's it.

It is both highly immoral and highly destructive for a government to provide healthcare. Immoral because it must steal and coerce in order to do so, and destructive because, compared to any market alternative, it will be less productive at a higher cost, meaning society is poorer for it.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Too many choices. Cut down to two or three.
I've seen a few people mention that the government has an ethical responsibility to provide health care to its citizens. So how much?

Let me know if you'd like me to add any more choices.
Pages:
Jump to: