Pages:
Author

Topic: How much money is enough money? - page 8. (Read 2824 times)

Activity: 2380
Merit: 251
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
February 16, 2021, 02:28:14 PM
No much money is enough that is why rich people are still getting richer which means their greed towards money never came to an end.
Activity: 616
Merit: 161
February 16, 2021, 05:43:57 AM
This question might not ever be answered in its entirety and it really depends on a person. For instance, we have seen some people get some unexpected money from the recent Gamestop controversy on the stock market and I have seen testimonies of people that cashed out just to pay their medical bills (or for their loved ones), pay their student loans, or pay their mortgage and that is it. From their perspective, them being able to afford those things and only those things made them somewhat rich, because, in the end, it's not the accumulation of capital but the option to take care of all or any immediate crisis without going further into debt that makes you a wealth person. Accumulating wealth means nothing when we play with made-up money written on a computer screen (and that goes with any currency in the world that operates in this manner, and besides gold, I believe all else do), it's just a game of chicken in the and to see who blinks first and cashes out at the right time. What matters is how that enriched and made our lives better.

I will leave you with some quotes from Marx that can shine some lite on this

- Marx himself makes it clear that he does not start from a basic concept – value – but from an elementary material phenomenon – the commodity – which is at the basis of capitalism, as the only economic organization based upon generalized commodity production.

- Money itself is a commodity, an external object, capable of becoming the private property of any individual. Thus social power becomes the private power of private persons.
legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
February 16, 2021, 01:48:54 AM
thats the game.
there is never 'enough'

governments say their social security benefits for the poor are 'enough' for them to live/survive on.
but anyone getting a minimum wage which is usually double governments minimum 'enough' social benefit know the social benefit is not enough purely because minimum wage(2x) is still not enough

there's the ex president that got paid $200k a year. and that was not enough. he had to syphon funds from the RNC donations.
the game is simple. once you attain a certain level of income and thus a level of lifestyle. the world is so vast that there is always more things/experiences that you want to achieve. thus always needing more money to attain the next level.
EG you initially plan on a hobby of hiking a mountain... then you spot people base jumping off the peak and suddenly you want to try that too.

alot of people try to break the game, by thinking that if they can calculate how much is left of their mortgage and then calculate how many years they may live for. and put a salary amount to those years left. and total it all up. then they can say XX is enough
but dare they ever get to a position of attaining that amount. suddenly their new lifestyle of not needing to work for it. allows them more free time to want to try new things.. which cost more money.

its like working minimum wage $300/w ($7.50x40h) thinking.. if you can get paid $300/w just to stay home you then have more free time for hobbies or more vacations.
but a vacation ends up costing $1500 a week all inclusive. and suddenly you feel the need for a 5x of your initial plan just to have a vacation lifestyle

in my view (from last decade before bitcoin when i did work) i thought a $50k a year income for the next 40 years would be 'enough' ($2m)
but now im hoarding a nice hoard of bitcoin. $2m doesnt seem enough
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
February 15, 2021, 10:55:06 PM
At what point will one say that he or she has had enough money?

If you have a certain mental illness, which a lot of alpha males do, you will never have enough.  Greed will drive you for more.  Example:  One of the first things OG bragged to me was "I'm set for life."  but he continues to scam.  

If you have an extra 90 minutes, it's explained very well.   Greed drives 70% of all crime.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575
Do not die for Putin
February 15, 2021, 01:07:54 PM
That´s like how many cars are enough. A lot yes, enough never.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 2011
February 14, 2021, 12:53:08 PM

It depends a lot by each and every person, since with more money at hand people always tend to spend more. And the country they are living in.
I've read somewhere many years ago that a study concluded a number around 3M USD, iirc.
Then some may count it by the yearly income they'd expect multiplied by the life expectancy. This depends also by the size of household, but I think there again the number is at least 1.5-2M USD.

Lately many tell that the number could be much simpler: 1 BTC. But they may be just dreamers and we get into speculation.

There are many factors to consider here. One of them is life expectancy as it has been mentioned, also current expenses/lifestyle.

Personally, as far as I'm concerned, I would divide the question into two:

1) How much is enough money to ensure financial stability on the day I die.
2) How much is enough money to live a dream life.

For 2) I would need much more money than for 1).

I'll probably achieve 1) by myself, with my current saving/investing plan.

I'll probably won't achieve 2) unless I'm really lucky or something, so I guess I'll never have enough.

This being said, I'll rest easy enough getting 1), knowing that I'm better off than most people.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
February 14, 2021, 12:17:01 PM

It depends a lot by each and every person, since with more money at hand people always tend to spend more. And the country they are living in.
I've read somewhere many years ago that a study concluded a number around 3M USD, iirc.
Then some may count it by the yearly income they'd expect multiplied by the life expectancy. This depends also by the size of household, but I think there again the number is at least 1.5-2M USD.

Lately many tell that the number could be much simpler: 1 BTC. But they may be just dreamers and we get into speculation.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 2032
The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>SPA
February 14, 2021, 11:10:46 AM
Well, for me, if you have to do illegal things, then no money is enough money. You can live happily working or investing in legit projects, so there is no need to go shady.

On the other hand, for a typical life, I guess that 1 Million is enough money, at least for me. Having your house paid, maybe another one in order to rent it, and plenty of money to spend for your entire life; well, this is if you don't have expensive hobbies, at least, but it is not my case, I am happy with little.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1071
February 14, 2021, 05:21:55 AM
The chase for money especially in this dispensation is never ending. People are willing to go all out and do anything (legal and illegal) for money these days. The real question that i am forced to ask is, how much money is enough money?

Pages:
Jump to: