Pages:
Author

Topic: How much money you've lost due to SCAMs? - page 3. (Read 2444 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
Scammers are everywhere , but you should have used reputed escrow before sending anyone 6 BTC .
Activity: 70
Merit: 10

That was his giveaway. You just need to think about people's motives all of the time, every day in your life. This is a life lesson you learned its not just about investing. Everyone has motives and every human's primary motivation is self interest.

Hi Mis069,

I came back to say THANK YOU.  I know I need to change my way of thinking and I've decided to do that starting today. I guess I might appear to be overtly gullible because I really feel that this would be a sad world if people cannot trust each other. That's why I was always the one who sent the payment first.  Grin

But the reality is that it's a sad world we live in, and there's nothing I can do about it. So I'm the one who needs to change. I got that now. Lesson learned.  Smiley

The truth is I've got hurt & used a lot in real life too.. not just online.. by people I knew and thought i could trust. What u said really makes a whole lota sense, and I really wish someone had said something like this to me earlier.

It really got me thinking. So thanks.  Smiley
April 10, 2014, 09:42:37 AM
Always use escrow services.

Even escrow providers get played these days (the famous Anon comes to mind) Sigh..

It's really up to any individual to do his own due diligence before investing. But as I said, it's getting more and more difficult for a noob like me to do that since scams are becoming rather sophisticated (take Radix scam for instance), as most scammers seem to buy into the motto - you gotta spend money to make money.. lol.. Screenshots, nice web sites, even working demos are no guarantee that a project is legit.

Even those shitty scrypt coins can be considered scam in some sense (I also happen to be a victim of LeafCoin scam).. LOL

The future of altcoin is not bright, I'd say...  Sad
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
April 10, 2014, 09:31:38 AM
Always use escrow services.
April 10, 2014, 09:25:34 AM

That was his giveaway. You just need to think about people's motives all of the time, every day in your life. This is a life lesson you learned its not just about investing. Everyone has motives and every human's primary motivation is self interest.

So true, and thanks for the advice. I'd say that I'm probably a very naive and trusting person by nature. It's rather easy to gain my trust and confidence even though this is the internet and people are protected by anonymity.

Case in point: I was trading with this guy from a certain eastern european country. After providing me with several tips (ie. showing me those secret onion sites where I can find the best deal on the web), I started to compliment this guy on how helpful and trustworthy he was. LOL... There were a lot of warning signs (ie. He gave me a tormail address and refused to give me his primary bitcointalk acct among other things). So we started trading 1 BTC - 1 MIL, and the first trade went smoothly. And then right after I agreed to his deal and sent him my precious BTCs, BANG!  His bitcointalk account got banned right away (I believe he did that on purpose although I have no clue how he did it).

So, I'm starting this thread to warn you my fellow noobs..  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Next time if you run into the same guy, don't give him your BTCs like I did..  Embarrassed Shocked Grin Grin

the easiest way to not lose money is to not invest in IPOs, how many IPO coins actually came out worth more than the btc that was put in? Has there even been a single IPO coin worth it?

Yes, sir. NXT comes to mind... I think that's the real problem. A lot of people like myself who have missed the NXT boat don't really want to miss the next big thing.

That's part of the reason why IPO scams are so successful nowadays.
April 10, 2014, 09:13:23 AM
A while ago scams were extremely rare, a huge amount of coins have come in. You really need to do alot of research. There is a large majority of players out there who are trying to further technological development in both services and coin development. Learn from your mistakes, everyone has lost money from bad investment.

Kind sir, thank you for the kind words *sob*  Thanks for not laughing at this noob. Cry Cry It kind of makes me feel better to know I'm prolly not the gullible fool I thought I was.

Anyways, as scams are becoming more and more frequent & sophisticated (as I've just witness in the Radix Foundation thread:https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pre-anniporadixbased-on-ripplefirst-stage-40-of-coins-to-be-distributed-500209), I'd say that it's becoming rather difficult for a noob who's new to the altcoin scene to detect & tell a scam from the real thing. big SIGH* 

I think the prevalence of scams is what brought the price of altcoin down these days. 
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
My mule don't like people laughing
April 10, 2014, 09:10:09 AM
7 BTC so far, and I feel embarrassed  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

1 BTC loss -- the now infamous StackCoin IPO scam where I was one of the victims.

6 BTC loss -- even more embarrassing.. I got greedy and decided to buy some newly released altcoin (name withheld) from a fellow bitcointalk members... We made a deal to trade 1 BTC for 1 mil at a time.. Then I got greedy after he promised to cut me a deal if I sent him all 6 BTC at once...

Well, I did.. And this guy disappeared right after I sent the payment.

How naive can I be? You ask? I'm gullible i suppose  Embarrassed Cry Cry Cry

Activity: 112
April 10, 2014, 09:08:02 AM
0 btc Wink
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
April 10, 2014, 09:06:33 AM
the easiest way to not lose money is to not invest in IPOs, how many IPO coins actually came out worth more than the btc that was put in? Has there even been a single IPO coin worth it?
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
April 10, 2014, 09:01:56 AM
A while ago scams were extremely rare, a huge amount of coins have come in. You really need to do alot of research. There is a large majority of players out there who are trying to further technological development in both services and coin development. Learn from your mistakes, everyone has lost money from bad investment.
April 10, 2014, 08:58:28 AM
7 BTC so far, and I feel embarrassed  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

1 BTC loss -- the now infamous StackCoin IPO scam where I was one of the victims.

6 BTC loss -- even more embarrassing.. I got greedy and decided to buy some newly released altcoin (name withheld) from a fellow bitcointalk members... We made a deal to trade 1 BTC for 1 mil at a time.. Then I got greedy after he promised to cut me a deal if I sent him all 6 BTC at once...

Well, I did.. And this guy disappeared right after I sent the payment.

How naive can I be? You ask? I'm gullible i suppose  Embarrassed Cry Cry Cry
Pages:
Jump to: