Pages:
Author

Topic: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People - page 3. (Read 29524 times)

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
edit: to the people treating this as a popularity contest please STFU

There's a reason Gavin posted this one to the Bitcoin Discussion section, and not to the Technical discussion section.

The real reason is that they might be approaching stage 4 in their conflict (http://www.mediate.com/articles/jordan.cfm - german Wikipedia is better, but the english one has no article (yet))

I'd love to have a freeze of features for the bitcoin standard (not the bitcoin client!) until there are at least 2-3 other well developed implementations.

Just take a look at miners: First there were just few CPU mining programs, then GPU miners emerged, and current mining programs automatically even adjust fanspeed(!) to keep your card at a steady temperature. Similar with pool software: after some months with horribly inefficient php software, on one end bitcoind was patched to crank out more getworks, but on the other end also new pool software was developed that could talk to multiple bitcoinds, cache getworks, work more reliably with the long polling issue and so on - current pools are running on hardware that would have died with 1/10th the miners before.

Bitcoind itself however seems to be just one single software with no real competitors (yes, I know about bitcoinj) where many people complain a bit about this or that but noone dares/wants to implement their own version. Transactions are already now complex enough to implement, that it seems noone so far even dares to do another implementation.
I really don't want the current bitcoind to become the "Linux Kernel" that is so overly complex, that there's no freakin' way to implement it differently without designing something completely different.

What is really needed here, is some competition, so Gavin or other developers can discuss protocol changes with actually other developers who are on the same level, not having an issue of leadership in his own team. All that currently is happening makes it even harder for others to write their own client - already now you need quite a deep understanding of cryptography to even understand adresses etc., and transactions already now are a quite different beast.

TL,DR:
Before making the "Satoshi" bitcoind more complex or adding to the standard, create/foster alternative clients and some healthy competition in the "bitcoind" market!
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Ron Gross

Can't we hire respectable white hats to do a professional audit (with pledges)?

I am so bad at detecting sarcasm on these boards.

You do know there is no such thing as a respectable white hat?

Don't take my word for it, a good reference can be found if you google the whiteh8 teachings of PHC and the chronicles of el8.

Cause ain't no such things as half-way crooks.

Zero sarcasm on my side. There are "good hackers" aka white hats.
I don't know whether "Gavin is sufficiently qualified", or if there is such a thing. An extra eye is always good.

In any case, I'm sorry but I don't have time to organize this myself - this was just a suggestion.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Good idea. Who wants to volunteer to do the fundraising and organize this, and let me know how I can help?

You guys don't think Gavin is sufficiently qualified? Interesting. I would say you were incorrect, but sure more eyes can't hurt.

It's not a matter of qualification. It's a complex, novel project with extreme needs in terms of security. It needs to go through the scrutiny of many experts for a long time.
Activity: 275
Merit: 250

I am so bad at detecting sarcasm on these boards.

You do know there is no such thing as a respectable white hat?

Don't take my word for it, a good reference can be found if you google the whiteh8 teachings of PHC and the chronicles of el8.

Cause ain't no such things as half-way crooks.

rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh

Good idea. Who wants to volunteer to do the fundraising and organize this, and let me know how I can help?

You guys don't think Gavin is sufficiently qualified? Interesting. I would say you were incorrect, but sure more eyes can't hurt.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist

Activity: 308

This cannot be decided on personal issues.  The BIPs affecting the block chain must be rigorously documented and subjected to qualified peer review.  Precedent should be referenced and relevant.

This is the only useful thing you said, and unfortunately we have had a grand total of
zero qualified reviews of either of the BIPs: neither Gavin nor the lunatic qualify
in that regard.

As a matter of fact, bitcoin would _greatly_ benefit from having actual professional
cryptographers doing not only BIP reviews, but also trying to devise actual attacks
against the whole system.

I would help fund this. 
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Ron Gross

This cannot be decided on personal issues.  The BIPs affecting the block chain must be rigorously documented and subjected to qualified peer review.  Precedent should be referenced and relevant.

This is the only useful thing you said, and unfortunately we have had a grand total of
zero qualified reviews of either of the BIPs: neither Gavin nor the lunatic qualify
in that regard.

As a matter of fact, bitcoin would _greatly_ benefit from having actual professional
cryptographers doing not only BIP reviews, but also trying to devise actual attacks
against the whole system.

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
BIP16/17 discuss cryptography which is a very technical field with a strong tradition.  There are specific terms and phrases used in this field, many coined by Schneier in Applied Cryptography.  Neither of these proposals follow this terminology. (Where are Eve and Mallory?)  Neither of these proposals is academically rigorous.  Unless there are addenda or appendices, I don't see a mathematical proof beyond "reference implementation."

I'm not sure I agree that these discuss cryptography.  They use cryptography indirectly, but so does my bank (on their website, SSL) when they introduce a new debit card or rewards program, which don't require reference to Mallory or Eve either (unless they are the models showing the vacations you can redeem the points for).  BIP 16 and 17 aren't proposed cryptographic changes and don't discuss mathematical problems, so expectation of a mathematical proof doesn't make any sense.

No one is more qualified as a peer than the developers and users of Bitcoin, any more than we should expect a mechanical engineer with a PhD and expertise building bridges should know more about fixing Acuras than the guy with a community college associates and 10 years experience at the Acura dealership.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
Wow, some fresh air is welcome, wise words reeses
anu
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
he likes prostitutes

Thank you for that extremely relevant bit of information. That certainly disqualifies him from technical / project management discussion.
Activity: 308
Where is Bruce Wagner on this one?  This is great material for TV!
Bruce was convicted of fraud, he likes prostitutes, and his show is painfully slow.  Let's leave him out of this. 
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
anu
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
Activity: 88
Merit: 37
For what it's worth, when I sent Gavin that video to watch, I did not send it to him with Luke in mind.

It was more of an ironic self-deprecating statement because I'd assumed everyone had already seen it; and, having not actually contributed public code to bitcoind itself, was trying to convey that my objections to the adoption of either BIP16/17 weren't worth more than that of just a solo-miner (who can code) in terms of actual progress on the project.

The short timelines involved are just very uncomfortable for me given the "millions" of dollars of assets at stake here.

Bitcoin is no longer an experiment.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
What LukeDashJr did to coiledcoin, without his users consent, or permission, is proof positive of why he needs to be severed.

I agree. I don't know the merits of each BIP, but if I was to judge based on personality alone, then Luke would have to go.

On the other side, I wish you would take more time before implementing new features.
Activity: 372
There is a reason Satoshi throws his weight behind Gavin, we might or might not know that reason.  I support Gavin.

Also, would be nice if we as a community can see how this plays out via webcam in a TV interview format.

Where is Bruce Wagner on this one?  This is great material for TV!
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
3 days?  I think not.  The vast majority are not on these forums every day and don't have their ear to the ground.  Pools might lose a max of 20% of their hashing power by the end of 3 days.

I also bet a lot of miners are zombies on botnets, where changing the pool might be infeasible (e.g. hardcoded), inconvenient (requiring testing and deploying a new payload to work with a new pool), or risky for the botnet owner (in terms of being detected or losing control over his zombies).  To the extent this is true, this would slow it even more.
Activity: 154
Merit: 101
Bitcoin!
Not quite correct.  The pools are comprised of voluntary membership, that can leave at any time.  If there is any kind of split, those pool operators cannot count upon maintaining their leveraged position longer than it takes for the news to spread across the community.  At most, a pool operator would have three days before the majority of his membership heard about the split, and then decided for themselves whether or not they agreed with their chosen pool's direction.  To be a pool operator is a position of temporary power.
3 days?  I think not.  The vast majority are not on these forums every day and don't have their ear to the ground.  Pools might lose a max of 20% of their hashing power by the end of 3 days.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
I think there is absolutely no reason to bring this disjunctive. No one has threatened to leave so why even suggesting it?

At worst, they would release competing, mutually aggressive algorithms and the popularity war would wage mining-power wise. That would be bad enough but the loser would just end up going along with the winner. I doubt anyone would leave the project as they have massive time and effort invested.
I don't think you have experience over these matters if you feel it's not necessary to talk about leaving. It certainly is. The moment the debates reached the stage that this thread was necessary, the situation went to the next level. To me it's not just about anyone leaving, it's about forcing someone out if he doesn't want to leave. Open source project or not, I certainly hope the other devs can force a dev out if it is deemed that he is doing more bad than good for the project. I believe that Luke might not stop interfering voluntarily.

I'm not happy that the situation reached this stage but talking about it like "everything is fine" is not the way to go. This needs to be resolved asap in a way that a similar situation is not possible in the future, at least not with the same individuals. And as far as Luke and his followers starting their own blockchain, I'm rolling on the floor laughing at that notion. Not only will Eligius be the only significant pool to join that attempt, Eligius will lose a significant amount of its hash power if Luke decides to go on a "war path" over this.

That would depend on how much better it would work. It only takes 3 pools to take over.

Not quite correct.  The pools are comprised of voluntary membership, that can leave at any time.  If there is any kind of split, those pool operators cannot count upon maintaining their leveraged position longer than it takes for the news to spread across the community.  At most, a pool operator would have three days before the majority of his membership heard about the split, and then decided for themselves whether or not they agreed with their chosen pool's direction.  To be a pool operator is a position of temporary power.
Pages:
Jump to: