Pages:
Author

Topic: How Safe is MetaMask? - page 4. (Read 716 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 11
March 15, 2018, 06:52:08 PM
It is hard to say and there is no way of knowing at the moment as I have not heard of any hacks. When I use decentralized exchanges I have a special wallet for that…I transfer coins from main wallet to secondary wallet, and sell from there. I do not even use metamask (I know there are more fees this ways, but at least you are somewhat safe
Activity: 238
Merit: 46
March 15, 2018, 06:41:20 PM
Unlike Jaxx, MetaMask stores your seed phrase encrypted with your password, so there's have a slight advantage in that an attacker with full access to your computer would also need you to have MetaMask unlocked to have a chance of using your accounts.  They plan to implement hardware wallet support, and other offline signing strategies, but it's advised not to use MetaMask for longer than you need to.

Hope this helps  Smiley
Activity: 224
Merit: 12
March 15, 2018, 05:42:37 PM
Its safe,but it is safer when you are using metamask extension together with hardwallets like ledger and trezor surely you wont be hacked and those phishing sites wont get your keys as it is built in your hardwaer wallets,i prefer ledger nano s because it is cheaper not bulky like trezor but i can assure you wil lbe protected from the phishing sites because metamask is blocking malicious websites.
Activity: 182
Merit: 10
Revolutionising Marketing and Loyalty
March 15, 2018, 05:03:20 PM
I encourage users to not use MetaMask to store more than they are willing to risk to a hacker, for longer than they need to, and that's the same for any internet connected signer.This is usually considered less secure, because if a machine is on the internet, it could be accessed remotely, and keys could be stolen.
Wont be that complicated if the user isnt stupid to use other extensions or install malicious applications,what would you recommend if the reputable metamask isnt  secured? do you have any other alternatives? you shouldnt be saying its unsecured because you dont have proofs that there are some hack incident with using metamask extension,only those fools who will give their seed phrase would get hacked.
Activity: 182
Merit: 19
March 15, 2018, 04:57:32 PM
Its safe as long as you have downloaded the legit extension,myetherwallet is also recommending this extension to be use togetther with their mew wallets or some hardwallets like ledger nano s or trezor for you to have more secured wallet,im sure if you got these things you will be 99% safe from viruses and malwares plus these phishing sites.
Activity: 98
Merit: 0
March 15, 2018, 04:56:03 PM
 I encourage users to not use MetaMask to store more than they are willing to risk to a hacker, for longer than they need to, and that's the same for any internet connected signer.This is usually considered less secure, because if a machine is on the internet, it could be accessed remotely, and keys could be stolen.
Activity: 210
Merit: 12
March 15, 2018, 04:46:34 PM
Install metamask extension and you will be safe from these phishing sites,i have been using this extension for years without any problems it is your own browser protections,acts like a barrier when you are using decentralized exchanges,protection from phishing attacks do not worry it is very safe and easy to use,also get hardwallet for more secured wallet.
Activity: 406
Merit: 131
March 15, 2018, 04:45:51 PM
There are 6 ways to attack metamask:

Good article.
However, the described methods of hacking are applicable absolutely to any service/site and are based on the user's inattention (and ignorance of the basics of web surfing security). I hope that most of the forum users do not relate to such.
I have not heard of any cases of breaking a Metamask. And you?
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
March 15, 2018, 04:33:05 PM
metamask is safe as you protect it also but i sugest you to buy a leger nano s if your fund is morethan an thousand dollar.this is safest of them to protect your coins.
Activity: 244
March 15, 2018, 04:28:48 PM
I have become increasingly concerned with security considering all of the attempted hacks, scams etc..

Knowing this I have moved much of my funds out of exchanges, but now if I hold these funds in MetaMask, can someone initiate a payment without my consent?

I received a full-screen warning from MetaMask with a warning for Ethereum Phishing.

Picture below:

Keen to hear your thoughts

metamask is very safe and easy to use. just don't fall for the phishing attack and just secure your private key and you are all good. also consider using mew wallet, the UI is very good and easy to use.
Activity: 242
CRYPTASSIST.io
March 15, 2018, 04:26:00 PM
I constantly use this extension. I consider that it is very convenient and could well protect your funds. But you still need to be very careful even using the extension
Activity: 301
Merit: 11
DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO
March 15, 2018, 04:22:21 PM
I have been using it for months without any problems,been saved 3x from phishing sites because it was blocked by metamask extension,while you are using decentralized exchanges your private keys will be protected by the metamask,do you wont need to worry about your keys being stolen from these echanges that is why it is really recommended by the experts.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
March 15, 2018, 04:19:31 PM
Is one of the best ethereum wallet in the space, so many people don't appreaciate it because their interface need to be imporved, I think the team focus mainly on security which is what the team is mainly focus on ahead of interface. It is good and safe and has save alot of people from losing their money
Activity: 209
March 15, 2018, 04:15:05 PM
This warning only informs you that the page you visit is marked as scam so you shouldn't worry about that. I'm using metamask long time and don't have problems with it so you can use it as well. But if you have more money to spend then buy ledger. It's more safe than metamask Smiley
Activity: 415
Merit: 103
"Revolutionising Marketing and Loyalty"
March 15, 2018, 03:41:06 PM
There are 6 ways to attack metamask:

With unlocked metamask

1. Your Last Outgoing Transaction Failed

A phony notification with real details about your last outgoing transaction

2. Sign For Your Last Incoming Transaction

You DONT'T EVER need to sign incoming transaction
A fake request to “sign for” your most recent incoming transaction, gathered from Etherscan

3. Cloning MetaMask’s CSS

A fake pop-out showing how easy it is so spoof the full MetaMask behavior

WIth a Locked MetaMask

4. Coercing the User to Unlock Their Real MetaMask

A fake notification encouraging a user to unlock their MetaMask

5. Phishing the User

fake MetaMask popout

6. The Timing Attack

As mentioned in this blog post by co-founder John Backus, the malicious site can wait in the background until it detects you have unlocked MetaMask in a different tab.

Full version of this article here
Activity: 252
Merit: 13
March 15, 2018, 03:26:34 PM
Very safe i cam using metamask for about 9months without any problem,protection from these phishing sites it is indeed the most powerful cryptocurrency browser extension,it is a 3rd party wallet which will protect your private keys from being stolen when you are using decentralized exchange so it is really necessary to have metamask.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
March 15, 2018, 03:26:05 PM
If you want to use online wallet then MetaMask is definitely better than most options. But if you have large amount of crypto then better use hardware wallet. Because hackers are very smart. They can find loophole in any system and take your money away.
Activity: 896
Merit: 505
March 15, 2018, 03:24:46 PM
metamask is so safe like your system. when your pc ist hacked so metamask is also not safe
Activity: 2436
Merit: 516
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI
March 15, 2018, 03:21:21 PM
I think that metamask is safe only if utc is used.I mean, at least it's safer than myetherwallet.
I may consider it to be a safe wallet but not safer than MEW.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
March 15, 2018, 03:17:30 PM
I think that metamask is safe only if utc is used.I mean, at least it's safer than myetherwallet.
Pages:
Jump to: