Pages:
Author

Topic: How safe is Tether? - page 2. (Read 1765 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 100
January 24, 2018, 11:39:43 PM
How safe is it to hold your money in tether? It's based in Hong Kong and some of the terms and conditions are cringey. If something were to happen to it do you think polo and bittrex would honor your money some how?
It's not safe, it is just and internet money that is not backed by anything and they can print new tether as they like. From what I've read they even refused an audit and that's a very bad thing. Bitshare bitusd is better because it is backed by bitshare but they are not that popular right now.
c15
Activity: 204
Merit: 10
January 24, 2018, 11:28:09 PM
why tether would be a good investment now?
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
January 18, 2018, 11:17:48 PM
1 USDT goes for $0.94 USD at Kraken recently meaning, that savvy investors believe there is a risk of USDT collapse. Discounting USDT price vs. USD. Theoretically they should be traded at 1:1 basis, so ifyou dont want to take risk stay away of tether...
And the hack yesterday, may show at folks why Tether is not safe to use
Tether was getting dumped some a little earlier, I would wait before purchasing any of that unless you want to get less money in return.
Activity: 224
January 18, 2018, 03:46:03 PM
tether is not safeand no one can verify if it's backed by real cash.

be careful tether is bitconnect 2.0 and when it will blow up, many big exchanges will collapse.
Activity: 462
Merit: 253
November 30, 2017, 04:18:30 PM
I will never trust tether, there is no way to redeem a USD for a real USD. If there are any bubbles in the cryptoworld, then this one is the biggest of them all.

A disaster waiting to happen if you ask me. I feel sorry for those unaware of this.

Just transfer your funds to GDAX, and trade them for real USD/EUR/GBP. Security and safety over comfort. Don't make decisions you will likely regret.
Activity: 251
Presale is live!
November 30, 2017, 04:14:26 PM
Personally i would not trust it completely because of the recent issues but i guess it would not harm you to use for a very short time. My friend had to put all of his money there for a reason and he was so stressful and nervous.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
November 30, 2017, 04:08:23 PM
Tether is a scam waiting to crash down. Dont be caught holding the bag, its a scam created by the exchanges to get easy profits. Its exactly like the banknotes you use in your everyday normal life, they can just create how many they want, whenever they want.
Activity: 358
Merit: 11
November 30, 2017, 04:06:06 PM
Tether is safe , I have traded with it for sometime now and the rate with usd is very stable.
Activity: 99
November 30, 2017, 03:38:01 PM
How safe is it to hold your money in tether? It's based in Hong Kong and some of the terms and conditions are cringey. If something were to happen to it do you think polo and bittrex would honor your money some how?

For me is like using any other altcoin but it's price more stable.
Activity: 2702
Merit: 704
November 30, 2017, 03:37:23 PM
Maybe you have not had that tether has been hacked today and many investors and holders are moving they fund to bitcoin. Tether is not relaible and you should be careful if you have a mind of investing or used it for transactions.
Just found out about this and I cannot say that I am not surprised. I feel that almost every coin in the crypto world is unreliable and risky to invest into. Only a small portion of crypto coins like Bitcoin, Ethereum etc are worth investing into since they have proved themselves according to me. Initially, I was interested in Tether and thought about buying some tether, but changed my decision since I felt that there were many altcoins which were much better investments for short term and long term profits. After hearing that it got hacked, looks like I made the right decision.

It's not right to say unrealiable. It's right to say unknown, because it's really unknown. They control this tether company and we don't know how they print new usdt coins with their request.

That's the scary part of usdt.
But then they are no better than holding fiat, why I would want to hold such a crypto when they are not transparent about the way they do things, I might as well just keep my money in my debit card and buy bitcoin when I need it, the more I think about it the less sense it makes to hold tether for any amount of time, since in the world of crypto the only store of value is bitcoin and no other coin comes close to fulfill that function.
Activity: 228
November 21, 2017, 03:22:01 PM
Maybe you have not had that tether has been hacked today and many investors and holders are moving they fund to bitcoin. Tether is not relaible and you should be careful if you have a mind of investing or used it for transactions.
Just found out about this and I cannot say that I am not surprised. I feel that almost every coin in the crypto world is unreliable and risky to invest into. Only a small portion of crypto coins like Bitcoin, Ethereum etc are worth investing into since they have proved themselves according to me. Initially, I was interested in Tether and thought about buying some tether, but changed my decision since I felt that there were many altcoins which were much better investments for short term and long term profits. After hearing that it got hacked, looks like I made the right decision.

It's not right to say unrealiable. It's right to say unknown, because it's really unknown. They control this tether company and we don't know how they print new usdt coins with their request.

That's the scary part of usdt.
Activity: 3080
Merit: 970
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
November 21, 2017, 03:10:48 PM
Activity: 84
November 21, 2017, 02:44:04 PM
They were hacked today and there are signs that they are involved in other suspicious activity such as price fixing.
copper member
Activity: 560
Merit: 253
November 21, 2017, 02:42:46 PM
I assume that its safe to hold your bitcoin/money as tether, nevertheless recent malicious attacks on their ecosystem. I don't think it will affect investors in anyway. I have been holding some of  my bitcoin as tether for quite some time now and haven't experienced any issues, so I wouldn't say it isn't safe.

If any kind of issue happen with the mechanics of this token, you'll take the damages.
I'd to say it's not safe to hold your money on Tether.
I have been holding some tether on bittrex and cryptopia for quite some time now, is there any particular reason why you assume it's not safe to hold money as tether.
Activity: 882
Merit: 269
November 21, 2017, 02:33:31 PM
Activity: 336
November 21, 2017, 02:28:18 PM
1 USDT goes for $0.94 USD at Kraken recently meaning, that savvy investors believe there is a risk of USDT collapse. Discounting USDT price vs. USD. Theoretically they should be traded at 1:1 basis, so ifyou dont want to take risk stay away of tether...
And the hack yesterday, may show at folks why Tether is not safe to use
Activity: 2702
Merit: 704
November 21, 2017, 02:13:04 PM
It is not safe at all, at the end of the day it is just a cryptocurrency and like any crypto its value changes, they try to keep it close to 1 dollar but that has the problem that its value compared against bitcoin is decreasing in the long term, so you need more and more USDT to buy the same bitcoin, so it does not make sense to put your money there, it is better to put your money in bitcoin and hold bitcoin instead of USDT.
Activity: 490
Merit: 250
November 21, 2017, 02:05:10 PM

Today is the right day to answer your question with a perfect example how safe is to keep your hard earned money on any exchange or similar platform like Tether.

Tether says nearly $31 million worth of its digital tokens have been stolen after hack.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/21/16684296/tether-cryptocurrency-stolen-30-million-hack

It's not safe and never was and never will be.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
September 26, 2017, 05:42:39 AM
I've been using Tether for some time but only for short term trading. I would definitely advise against it for a long term investment.
Activity: 658
Merit: 282
September 26, 2017, 05:13:21 AM
[... In practice, you can't redeem it for real money either because Bitfinex/Tether does not have any fiat banking capabilities right now....

Tether recently released audits that show that they indeed have several
working banking relationships.

The more relevant question is if the banks they use are aware of the
nature of the business model of Tether.

Pages:
Jump to: