Pages:
Author

Topic: How safe is USDT? - page 2. (Read 229 times)

legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1338
December 12, 2021, 04:50:48 PM
This is a question i had for a long time,ive seen majority of traders buy and trade crypto through USDT,they just blindly trust it ,as its purpose is that of a stable coin ,i.e. basically a crypto replacement for USD($).
But what if the company behind USDT decides to cheat its holders,is there any way we can find out before a complete disaster? (for e.g. they start minting more coins unnecessarily)
is there any safety mechanism or a red flag indicator before its too late?
Stable coins are very unsafe, however they have a reason to be, banks are still very reluctant to accept transactions that deal with cryptocurrencies in most countries around the world, and if we add that their transactions are slow this means that getting in and out of the market of cryptocurrencies can be a pain, so stable coins were created to bridge that gap, however you must never hold those coins for the long term as it is impossible to know when finally the trust in them will evaporate and they will lose their value.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1474
🔃EN>>AR Translator🔃
December 12, 2021, 04:17:42 PM
But what if the company behind USDT decides to cheat its holders,is there any way we can find out before a complete disaster? (for e.g. they start minting more coins unnecessarily)

This is the problem for all the stable coins in the crypto market.
First created by Bitfinex exchange, if i am not wrong, claiming to be backed by real USD reserve, then followed by other exchanges who built USDT in other blockchain networks (Tron/Ethereum/BSC/Polygon...). All of them are built using smart contracts, but almost all of them have a set of parameters that allows devs to freeze balances at any time.
Those stable coins are acting as instrument for trading.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 596
December 12, 2021, 04:09:16 PM
This is a question i had for a long time,ive seen majority of traders buy and trade crypto through USDT,they just blindly trust it ,as its purpose is that of a stable coin ,i.e. basically a crypto replacement for USD($).

Not safe.

You are much better off if you even just opt for DAI or USDC instead of USDT.

Tether has a track record of fractional reserves which is the exact opposite of decentralized cryptos mantra. It is essentially an interest free loan given to Tether without any protection/collateral for the people who are holding the USDT.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
December 12, 2021, 04:07:20 PM
That is exactly what most people concerned about USDT. Tether has a lack of transparency to audit their reserve fund to match their issued token, and people should be cautious not only by that but also by regulatory issues. I think that there is no way to be able instantaneously to check whether their token matches the reserved fund or not. So I don't think there is a way to find that happening in real-time. So, I think what most people should beware of and think it as a red flag is that USDT has a counter-party risk within it.
Activity: 2156
Merit: 531
December 12, 2021, 03:59:25 PM
I don't keep usdt for a long terms ,prefer fiat currencies as usd to save money for a long terms in the "market" but not for long also only a few weeks maybe 2 months ! the point is that I don't believe in anything except bitcoin ,it has been post by @hosseinimr93 regarding usdt which means it is clearly very unsafe to save usdt for a long terms "frozen" which means it can't be used if you need it ,whether it can be unfrozen or not I didn't look deeper into usdt
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1151
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
December 12, 2021, 03:58:58 PM
well, USDT is safe as whole crypto industry, if they go down, broader crypto industry will feel it certainly
with that said, I tend to have several stablecoins, that I put my money in, to diversify the risk

there is also DAI, as algorithmic coin, but also AMPL that should be connected to USD in 2019, but obviously have difficulties to hold peg, since there are +/-20+% fluctuations on price
Activity: 775
Merit: 101
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
December 12, 2021, 03:33:24 PM

I think all coins have the same risk as USDT, because investing in crypto is a very risky thing, but I am very optimistic that USDT will survive and will continue to make the best contribution to exchange with other altcoins, currently I have never received the problem at all when using usdt as a transaction tool, in my opinion the first step to find out whether a coin will fall is the amount of FUD news,
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
December 12, 2021, 03:03:37 PM
There is no proof that the issued tokens are backed by real dollar. I wouldn't be surprised if a day USDT tokens lose their value.

The other problem which makes USDT so insecure is that, your tokens can be frozen even at your non-custodial wallet.
For more information about this, I recommend you to read the topic created by mk4. Visit the link below.

[UPDATED] PSA: Most Stablecoins Can Be Frozen, Even in Your Own Wallets
Activity: 392
Merit: 257
December 12, 2021, 02:53:38 PM
Pages:
Jump to: