Pages:
Author

Topic: How satoshi could be anonymous when he was the only full-node ? - page 2. (Read 614 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 3
Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token
So we must understand the Satoshi was quite aware of what would happen so he decide to hide himself from the beginning? Isn't it a little suspicious?
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
In the bitcoin source code is a hardcoded peer list aren‘t it ? The hardcoded list should exist in v0.1 otherwise I couldn‘t imagine how the peers found each other abd the installation guide by satoshi said that you just need to extract the zip file and run BITCOIN.EXE.
In the very first version of Bitcoin (0.1.0), there were no hard coded nodes at all. Rather Bitcoin used an IRC channel to announce your node's IP address and allow other nodes to discover other nodes to connect to. Originally there was no way to specify which nodes to connect to.

One of the anonymous email providers that Satoshi used also provides anonymous VPSes. Presumably Satoshi used a VPS to host his node so as to hide his true IP address.

He also probably had multiple nodes. It is trivial to prevent a node from announcing itself to the public IRC channel and to prevent incoming connections so an outgoing connection only node is still fairly anonymous.
Activity: 24
Merit: 17
In the bitcoin source code is a hardcoded peer list aren‘t it ? The hardcoded list should exist in v0.1 otherwise I couldn‘t imagine how the peers found each other abd the installation guide by satoshi said that you just need to extract the zip file and run BITCOIN.EXE.
Activity: 154
Merit: 3
Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token
I was wondering the same thing some days ago. There must be some kind of traceable connection that will give information about that, the first steps...

Goverments know enough to at leats reduce the list of candidates but the fact that he is still unknown makes BTC even more interesting.  Wink
Activity: 490
Merit: 389
Do not trust the government
You can't get incoming connections over Tor without other peers also using Tor, that is correct.
I doubt he would've used it anyway.

Perhaps he took great care and never ran Bitcoin from home in the begging, but I doubt it.
Now that IP address he used is lost in time, but I am sure government recorded it and still have it.
It was always reasonable to assume that government knew who Satoshi is, in my opinion, once they were interested enough to find out.

I assume they started bothering him once Wikileaks started using Bitcoin to get around the banking blockade.
As far as I know, he announced he was leaving the project soon after that. Bitcoin just became too high profile.
Activity: 24
Merit: 17
Hi, how satoshi could be anonymous when he was the first and only  node (9th of January 2009)? You cannot run a server over tor aren‘t ? Did he rent an anonymous server ? Has anybody informations about that ?

Pages:
Jump to: