Pages:
Author

Topic: how secured? - page 2. (Read 270 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 354
I stand with Ukraine!
July 26, 2023, 07:38:58 AM
Although biometrics isn’t the best of password but using it doesn’t mean your family cannot access your funds later. The only way in which a wallet cannot be accessed is by losing the recovery seed or keys. Once your family get hold of the keys or seeds they will just import them in a wallet on another device and it wouldn’t need any biometric or passcode again
I meant they can not access your coin if they only have that phone, without you, your hands and fingerprints and of course without other accessible wallet backups.

There are other ways to lock your phones like with Pin code and I am still against Biometrics to lock and unlock my phone. The sensor can be broken and you will have to bring your phone to Technical stores to fix it. It contains another risk when you have to handle your phone to a third party.
Activity: 406
Merit: 443
July 26, 2023, 06:29:51 AM
According to some reports, Secure Folder encrypts your data, so it is safe from physical attacks, which is represented by a third party accessing and using your phone, and from hackers, as the file inside is encrypted. The problem remains in Do you trust Samsung encryption?
The wallet file is usually encrypted so you add an extra layer of security.

You can get greater security if you add a new layer of encryption to your wallet file, but in general it is better to keep it offline by deleting the wallet file and keeping your wallet seeds words, as the process of restoring an encrypted, deleted, and overwritten wallet file is more difficult.
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
July 26, 2023, 06:00:51 AM
Finger lock, this is bad.

You are not an intelligent agent so you don't need it. Individually, you need to secure your device and wallet but if you don't plan to die with your bitcoin and nobody will access it after your death, just don't use finger lock.

The bottom line is secure your device, your backups but it should be accessed by your wife, children, loved ones.

Although biometrics isn’t the best of password but using it doesn’t mean your family cannot access your funds later. The only way in which a wallet cannot be accessed is by losing the recovery seed or keys. Once your family get hold of the keys or seeds they will just import them in a wallet on another device and it wouldn’t need any biometric or passcode again
Activity: 658
Merit: 354
I stand with Ukraine!
July 26, 2023, 04:59:57 AM
If I get a new Samsung phone and set up the normal password and finger lock.
Finger lock, this is bad.

You are not an intelligent agent so you don't need it. Individually, you need to secure your device and wallet but if you don't plan to die with your bitcoin and nobody will access it after your death, just don't use finger lock.

The bottom line is secure your device, your backups but it should be accessed by your wife, children, loved ones.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
July 26, 2023, 04:52:35 AM
If hacking difficulty of a device without a password is 10%, the difficulty when password is added and maybe additional finger print is added should be upto 15%. According to what you both said, does it mean that having password, finger print and also another password to unhide the secured folder won't make additional difficulty?
I am having an odd feeling about this, even as Zaguru12 mentioned physical hacker just like there are spiritual hackers. Maybe I will have to understand more in this thread.
Physical hack, he meant offline attack. Like those people that you give your phone.

But malware is online and would be able to make a hacker to compromise your wallet. To have more knowledge about malware, try and read about them, especially Trojan horse, rootkit and clipboard. There are more and malware can be combined to illicit attack on devices.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1031
Only BTC
July 26, 2023, 04:49:49 AM
If hacking difficulty of a device without a password is 10%, the difficulty when password is added and maybe additional finger print is added should be upto 15%. According to what you both said, does it mean that having password, finger print and also another password to unhide the secured folder won't make additional difficulty?
An attacker doesn't have to get a hold of your phone locally to attack and steal your funds. A phone password, finger print or pin only protects unauthorized access of people to your device, it does not protect the wallet and keys you have in that device. Take note that BTC is not stored in wallets, but on the network, so as long as you have your keys in any online wallet and use that device to browse and do many stuffs online, the wallet in that device is prone to hack and is not safe.
Activity: 420
Merit: 252
My post made philipma1957 wear signature
July 26, 2023, 04:44:47 AM
The secure folder is good for other people that are using your phone not to see what you store on it, like files and apps. But malware can still be able to penetrate it and a hacker can be able to steal your coins.

I would say this is similar to adding passphrase or 2FA to a wallet that has passcode already.

I am having an odd feeling about this, even as Zaguru12 mentioned physical hacker just like there are spiritual hackers. Maybe I will have to understand more in this thread.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1031
Only BTC
July 26, 2023, 04:41:52 AM
Also Redmi android phone also has this feature, like two different operating system running in one phone for security reasons.
This feature is not for security reasons, it is for local privacy reasons, that is if you want to hide certain apps from people who have access to your device. Mind you that this feature wouldn't even protect you from a targeted local attack, because it is a very popular feature and the attacker would surey know about it, so you should always encrypt your wallet file.

Needless to say that your wallet isn't safe from hack if you use this feature because any wallet that is online is prone to hack, and your wallet is online. If you want your wallet to be safe from hack you'll have to use it on a completely air-gapped device, or just get a hardware wallet.
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
July 26, 2023, 04:16:53 AM
This apparently looks a bit secure to only physical hackers, like some that gets hold of your phone and then possibly has knows your phone lock password, it will hard for him to get access if he doesn’t know the folder password if it is different from the phone lock password. I would say this is similar to adding passphrase or 2FA to a wallet that has passcode already.

But just like Charles-Tim said, it is not secure when the device is faced by malware through phishing, example can be the clipboard malware. Just get a Wallet and back up it’s recovery seeds well
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
July 26, 2023, 04:13:20 AM
The secure folder is good for other people that are using your phone not to see what you store on it, like files and apps. But malware can still be able to penetrate it and a hacker can be able to steal your coins.

If you want a safer and well secured wallet, go for online offline ones like a paper wallet, wallet on an airgapped device and hardware wallet like passport for bitcoin.
Activity: 420
Merit: 252
My post made philipma1957 wear signature
July 26, 2023, 04:09:51 AM
If I get a new Samsung phone and set up the normal password and finger lock. Then, set up the Samsung secure folder and it's password. I now download my wallet inside the Samsung secure folder, how safe is my wallet from hack.
For people who doesn't use android, Samsung secure can be hidden in Samsung phone such that even if you have access to the phone you may never access the secure folder.

Also Redmi android phone also has this feature, like two different operating system running in one phone for security reasons.
Pages:
Jump to: