Pages:
Author

Topic: How to build your own power supply? - page 4. (Read 16364 times)

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1005
June 09, 2011, 07:50:51 AM
Expensive PSUs offer greater efficiency. Considering our purpose, it would be stupid to pay 100$ less for a PSU and pay 50$ more every month in electrical bills. Not only that, but you need a PSU that offers:
- the required power drain
- filtering and leveling depending on external supply and internal PC power usage
- protection of itself and PC components in extreme cases

Would you pay 100$ less for a PSU and risk destroying your 900$ video cards at the next brown-out?
Activity: 797
Merit: 1017
June 09, 2011, 07:39:36 AM
What the crap are you talking about? 100mA can stop your heart. Why would people go around being electrocuted by a car battery? I turn my car on with a key, not by shorting the leads with my body.

And yes, PSUs are transformers, at least functionally and they incorporate transformers as well as power switches. As I said they are complex creations and not to be made at home.

Yes, 100 mA can kill you. But, to make that current to flow thru your body, it needs to have a given potential (because, as you will know, our body is not a good conductor). Depending on a lot of factor (skin resistance, humidity, position of the electrodes,...) the voltage that can kill you starts from 50 VAC at the very least, and goes up to several hundreds. You can't even feel anything if the potential is only 12 VDC, disregarding the maximum current that it can generate.

Activity: 602
Merit: 500
June 09, 2011, 07:11:10 AM
I don't know much about electricity yet... but it sounds like a pretty simply job.
That's the last phrase of someone gunning for the Darwin award.

Seriously, playing with electricity that contains enough amps to kill you outright is NOT something that is recommended, unless that is your job and you've got education to back it up.

Not at all, ampere don't kill you. Even heard about someone being electrocuted by a car battery? I guess not. And you can easly get hundreds of Amperes out of them

Electricity starts to be harmful at about 50 Volts.

BTW, PSU are not transformer, they are AC/DC switching units (note the plural). You can't just connect some of them together, you'll just end up frying all your hardware.

What the crap are you talking about? 100mA can stop your heart. Why would people go around being electrocuted by a car battery? I turn my car on with a key, not by shorting the leads with my body.

And yes, PSUs are transformers, at least functionally and they incorporate transformers as well as power switches. As I said they are complex creations and not to be made at home.
Activity: 302
Merit: 100
Presale is live!
June 09, 2011, 07:08:12 AM
still not convinced? have a look at this Wink http://www.pavouk.org/hw/en_atxps.html
June 09, 2011, 07:05:00 AM
Here is a look inside a high grade high watt power supply:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=189

Activity: 302
Merit: 100
Presale is live!
June 09, 2011, 07:03:07 AM
Not to be a jerk, but that sounds like a really good way to kill yourself. Playing with 10+ amps is not a good idea.

Yes PSUs are transformers, but they're also filters and some other stuff.

No offense taken! I don't know much about electricity yet... but it sounds like a pretty simply job.

It SOUNDS simple yes but that's merly because you don't know anything about it... Don't throw yourself at it because:
First of all it will take at least a month to just read up all the theory behind (and that's assuming you're damn smart)
Secondly there's a huge bunch of safety hazards
Thirdly it's a huge investment because quality capacitors aren't cheap and you'll need that for 24/7 operation

Last but not least: It's MUCH more difficult to build a big powersupply rather than a lot of small ones...

Moral of the story? Don't waste your time on it
Activity: 797
Merit: 1017
June 09, 2011, 07:01:50 AM
I don't know much about electricity yet... but it sounds like a pretty simply job.

Seriously, playing with electricity that contains enough amps to kill you outright is NOT something that is recommended, unless that is your job and you've got education to back it up.

Not at all, ampere don't kill you. Even heard about someone being electrocuted by a car battery? I guess not. And you can easly get hundreds of Amperes out of them

Electricity starts to be harmful at about 50 Volts.

BTW, PSU are not transformer, they are AC/DC switching units (note the plural). You can't just connect some of them together, you'll just end up frying all your hardware.
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
June 09, 2011, 07:01:24 AM
Not to be a jerk, but that sounds like a really good way to kill yourself. Playing with 10+ amps is not a good idea.

No offense taken! I don't know much about electricity yet... but it sounds like a pretty simply job.

Well... it's not Tongue. A simple 12V 2A power supply is no problem, even for beginners, but these high amounts of currents require serious designs.
Activity: 792
Merit: 1000
Bite me
June 09, 2011, 07:00:47 AM
1) go and get yourself trained for electial work
2) then think about what you're doing
3) buy relevent PSU's

in other words - don't .
please it's not worth it - you'll kill yourslef , burn the place down and kill others.
Activity: 12
June 09, 2011, 06:57:25 AM

Famous last words  Grin
Activity: 35
June 09, 2011, 06:56:42 AM

Activity: 280
Merit: 252
June 09, 2011, 06:50:44 AM

June 09, 2011, 06:40:50 AM

Activity: 280
Merit: 252
June 09, 2011, 06:36:20 AM
I am considering spending almost $1,000 on 3-4 gold rated PSUs.

Seems to me they are little more than transformers.

If I could purchase 4*$30 PSUs simply to run the motherboard/cpu power... could I note create a massive single 12 volt rail that distributes power to say 30-40 video cards via pcie connectors at once?

I guess it would really suck if THAT power supply broke down... but still - anybody tried it or similar?
Pages:
Jump to: