Pages:
Author

Topic: How to buy Tether USD? - page 3. (Read 64594 times)

Activity: 807
Merit: 423
August 19, 2017, 02:18:54 PM
What is more secure: USDT or keeping USD on an exchange like GDAX or Bittrex?
Bittrex supports only USDT, you cannot keep dollars there.
Some exchanges that do support dollars and withdrawals to your bank account are GDAX, Bitstamp, Kraken
Bitfinex also supports dollars, but you can't withdraw to your bank account.  What you can do is withdraw the dollars as tethers.  Whether you can use those tethers for anything is another question.
As I stated in an earlier post, Bitfinex is different from other exchanges; on Bitfinex, USD and USDT are equivalent.  Whereas other exchanges have a trading pair for USD and USDT, Bitfinex makes no distinction between US Dollars and USD Tethers.  Which means that if you have USD on Bitfinex, you can withdraw the same amount of USDT without having to make a trade to convert your USD to USDT.
That is because Bitfinex owns Tether.
What is the blockchain?
I'm not sure what you mean.   If you're asking what is the tether blockchain, tethers are recorded on the bitcoin blockchain as "colored" coins.

does tether have its own wallet that you can store it?
tether's website is tether.to
where you'll find a web wallet you can send tethers to.  Supposedly you can withdraw the money to your bank, but I've never done it and I have no idea if it works or not, especially considering that tether's parent company, bitfinex, has lost its banking connections in the U.S.
The omniwallet is an offline wallet, but again, I have never used it.  I encourage anyone who's interested to explore it.  Just now I tried to go to omniwallet.org, but the site is down.
The omni blog is here:  https://blog.omni.foundation/
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
August 19, 2017, 11:32:39 AM
I use USDT as a hedge against a drop in bitcoin. When I feel like bitcoin runs up too fast I usually convert to USDT and sit on the sidelines for a retracement then jump back in. It is a lot more convenient than converting to cash and dealing with that hassle.
Activity: 350
Merit: 170
I do crypto TRADING
August 19, 2017, 11:28:57 AM
Some exchanges that do support dollars and withdrawals to your bank account are GDAX, Bitstamp, Kraken
Bitfinex also supports dollars, but you can't withdraw to your bank account.  What you can do is withdraw the dollars as tethers.  Whether you can use those tethers for anything is another question.
As I stated in an earlier post, Bitfinex is different from other exchanges; on Bitfinex, USD and USDT are equivalent.  Whereas other exchanges have a trading pair for USD and USDT, Bitfinex makes no distinction between US Dollars and USD Tethers.  Which means that if you have USD on Bitfinex, you can withdraw the same amount of USDT without having to make a trade to convert your USD to USDT.
What is the blockchain?
I'm not sure what you mean.   If you're asking what is the tether blockchain, tethers are recorded on the bitcoin blockchain as "colored" coins.

does tether have its own wallet that you can store it?
August 19, 2017, 10:27:30 AM
What is the blockchain?
I do crypto TRADING
August 19, 2017, 12:21:17 AM
I heard there are some issues around tether being actually interchangeable with dollars. Something up with the TOC as referred to by Sirer.

just use it for keeping out of bitcoin whenever you see it fit. then use it again to go back to bitcoin when you see a good entry point. if you want USD then go to an exchange that support USD and not USDT.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
August 18, 2017, 11:55:51 PM
I heard there are some issues around tether being actually interchangeable with dollars. Something up with the TOC as referred to by Sirer.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
August 18, 2017, 07:37:26 AM
Few questions :
Who manages Tether's capitalization ?
Is there any proof that they actually own the fiat ?
Activity: 560
Merit: 250
August 17, 2017, 11:43:22 PM
What is the blockchain?
Activity: 1
August 17, 2017, 11:40:15 PM
Activity: 326
August 15, 2017, 12:38:26 PM
If you are on Bittrex, then simply go here and buy USDT with you BTC
https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=USDT-BTC
I do crypto TRADING
August 15, 2017, 01:01:17 AM
On most exchanges, usdt isn't the same as usd.  There's a usd/usdt trading pair on poloniex, bittrex, kraken and maybe some others.  The exchange rate is close to 1:1, but not exactly, and of course you have to deal with trading fees.
There is one exchange where usdt and usd are totally equivalent:  Bitfinex.  If you deposit usdt, the full amount shows up as dollars.  Once upon a time, an American like me could have withdrawn those dollars through a wire transfer.  There are people in Taiwan who can still do that.  By the same token (to coin a phrase), if you have usd on balance at Bitfinex, you can withdraw usdt directly, without having to convert usd to usdt.
This is all because Bitfinex owns tether, the company.  And because Bitfinex is there, with its high liquidity, pegging usdt to usd, the rest of the market follows through arbitrage.  But because usd and usdt and not actually one entity, the rest of the world's exchanges treat them as separate.
And so you have the trading pair usd/usdt, with an exchange rate that stays very close to 1:1.
If anything ever happens to Bitfinex, that goes out the window.  Remain aware that USDT has counterparty risk.  It is fully as vulnerable as Bitfinex itself.
in a tether wallet, can we hold the private key as well?
There are wallets where you can hold tether private keys, but it's significantly more complicated than holding bitcoin.  I sort of looked into it and gave up.  Counterparty risk poses a bigger danger than having your coins stolen from an exchange or web wallet, in my opinion.  Not worth the trouble of wrangling with the complexities of some mastercoin-enabled wallet.

Very clear explanation and i got it now.  Maybe one can use it if he wants to have a quick and temporary get out of crypto particularly if everything is going down then when everything subsides then he can back again by buying bitcoin using usdt. but the risk is still there for anything can happen like it bitfinex goes down then everything you got also disappear instantly
August 14, 2017, 08:32:42 PM
On most exchanges, usdt isn't the same as usd.  There's a usd/usdt trading pair on poloniex, bittrex, kraken and maybe some others.  The exchange rate is close to 1:1, but not exactly, and of course you have to deal with trading fees.
There is one exchange where usdt and usd are totally equivalent:  Bitfinex.  If you deposit usdt, the full amount shows up as dollars.  Once upon a time, an American like me could have withdrawn those dollars through a wire transfer.  There are people in Taiwan who can still do that.  By the same token (to coin a phrase), if you have usd on balance at Bitfinex, you can withdraw usdt directly, without having to convert usd to usdt.
This is all because Bitfinex owns tether, the company.  And because Bitfinex is there, with its high liquidity, pegging usdt to usd, the rest of the market follows through arbitrage.  But because usd and usdt and not actually one entity, the rest of the world's exchanges treat them as separate.
And so you have the trading pair usd/usdt, with an exchange rate that stays very close to 1:1.
If anything ever happens to Bitfinex, that goes out the window.  Remain aware that USDT has counterparty risk.  It is fully as vulnerable as Bitfinex itself.
in a tether wallet, can we hold the private key as well?
There are wallets where you can hold tether private keys, but it's significantly more complicated than holding bitcoin.  I sort of looked into it and gave up.  Counterparty risk poses a bigger danger than having your coins stolen from an exchange or web wallet, in my opinion.  Not worth the trouble of wrangling with the complexities of some mastercoin-enabled wallet.
I do crypto TRADING
August 14, 2017, 05:34:16 AM
any update on this tether? i can still see this at bittrex and i think this is still working. in a tether wallet, can we hold the private key as well?
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Hi, i'm a pationed about cryptos and their symbol.
July 10, 2017, 01:27:24 PM
 Cry
I think that the link and info that is missing here is:

1. Yes USDT is a "blockchain dollars"
2. You can buy from the official site after verification and everything (already mentioned up top)
3. DONT MISTAKE US and USDT
4. this option isnt valide any more (BTC-E have big issue)

that what my research taught me! Smiley
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
May 30, 2017, 01:43:19 PM
The way i understood it, tether is on poloniex and only meant for short term, as risk if exchange goes down.
Activity: 47
May 30, 2017, 02:04:40 AM
So let me get this straight , by converting to USDT you can actually avoid to be affected by the drop of BTC ?

Correct, however tether is now linked to bitfinex and they are not allowing cash deposits or withdrawals. It has not affected the price significantly though so you can still use it as a proxy for real dollars.
Activity: 15
May 30, 2017, 02:02:32 AM
So let me get this straight , by converting to USDT you can actually avoid to be affected by the drop of BTC ?
February 04, 2017, 01:42:09 PM
You can withdraw from the tether.to web wallet to your bank account.
If you go to tether.to and open an account, you will be able to convert tethers to real dollars and get your grubby little mitts on them.
I thought that this is deal between two exchanges, i have didn't know this is separate project. Can i withdraw funds to Payeer or Skrill? If this is possible i will create account at https://tether.to/  ?
Thanks.
Probably not.
Activity: 476
February 04, 2017, 06:14:31 AM
You can withdraw from the tether.to web wallet to your bank account.
If you go to tether.to and open an account, you will be able to convert tethers to real dollars and get your grubby little mitts on them.
I thought that this is deal between two exchanges, i have didn't know this is separate project. Can i withdraw funds to Payeer or Skrill? If this is possible i will create account at https://tether.to/  ?
Thanks.
Activity: 762
Merit: 500
February 03, 2017, 10:17:54 PM
Website like https://www.changer.com allow you to buy USDT with e-money (PM, okpay, etc). I don't know if there's any exchange that accepts bank deposit, but even if you've really found one the handling fee would be quite costly.
Pages:
Jump to: