Pages:
Author

Topic: How to combat the surge in scam ICOs - page 3. (Read 2277 times)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1012
August 26, 2017, 07:56:40 PM
Agreed to as well! Wink

Bitcoin exchanges charge atleast 3Btc to have their alt coin listed to some of these exchanges so why not here to have them shown to the bitcointalk community.

Call it a royalty so to improve the quality of the site.

But really to keep the bad seeds out of trying to scam the membership here. Smiley
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
August 26, 2017, 06:19:17 PM
I think even with a fee there'd still be a lot of scam ICOs if someone is interested in scamming people for hundreds of thousands of dollars a one time fee isn't going to stop them from doing it. I think the best way is to do it is to make the ICOs have to be verified by the admins or something proving that the dev team are reputable and can actually do what they promise.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
August 26, 2017, 01:51:37 PM
One thing that I think is sorely needed among these ICOs is a standardized list of terms.  Some of the ICO whitepapers I've read have such horrible presentation and lack of concrete information that I can't imagine anyone investing anything in them, regardless of the potential of the concept.  As someone coming from an environment where I have reviewed many (far too many) IPOs, the quality bar of ICOs needs to be raised.

I agree. A template term sheet with typical properties would both simplify comparison by participants and act as a quick sanity check for moderators too.

Works great on a torrent boards where a lot of similar releases get posted and otherwise need to be carefully sorted like "is this a reencode? what is the quality? what are the languages/subtitles etc?"
Activity: 379
Merit: 251
August 26, 2017, 01:32:45 PM
You really can't. See, it is impossible to know if any ICO is a pump and dump or actually real. You just need to trust in the developers and hope it turns out OK.
legendary
Activity: 858
Merit: 1000
August 26, 2017, 01:17:32 PM
I think that even with good intentions, there will always be someone complaining about a decision that forum administration makes. Right now we don't ban scammers for fear of an incorrect judgement, why change the way threads work? Plus 1BTC is still a *lot* of money, and I doubt they want more complaining about how 'the forum is rich make it more better' or 'halp badbear stole my btc and i have no ico thread'. It will just make people more upset in the end, it is up to the end user to judge if an ICO is a scam or not.
Activity: 208
Merit: 84
🌐 www.btric.org 🌐
August 26, 2017, 11:11:53 AM
Thoughts?

Personally I think simply introducing a fee to start an ICO thread would result in an immediate drop in the numbers we're currently seeing. If you've got a legit operation you sure as hell can afford a bitcoin or two in order to collect millions in ICO funding.

I think a reasonable fee is potentially a good idea but if the fee were too significant that could stifle promising concepts from reaching the investment community.  Or, alternatively, it could cause ICOs to shift their announcements elsewhere.

One thing that I think is sorely needed among these ICOs is a standardized list of terms.  Some of the ICO whitepapers I've read have such horrible presentation and lack of concrete information that I can't imagine anyone investing anything in them, regardless of the potential of the concept.  As someone coming from an environment where I have reviewed many (far too many) IPOs, the quality bar of ICOs needs to be raised.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 26, 2017, 10:59:06 AM
Huge warning with red and bold text is better idea than ask 1BTC for every ICO thread since scammer could earn more than 1BTC in scam ICO. Ban all ICO thread might works just like when altcoin giveaway is banned from this forum.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179
August 26, 2017, 09:39:46 AM
Charging a fee would definitely reduce the sheer number of garbage ICO's, but this doesn't solve the problem at all.

This forum is a Bitcoin forum, and from there I believe it will really help improve the overall quality, and extremely reduce (or even completely wipe off) the amount of scam ICO's by getting rid of the altcoin section entirely.

I know the altcoin section generates a whole lot of traffic, and ad slot revenue, but things have gotten extremely worse in the last years, and that's mainly altcoin related ~ certain problems require extreme measures.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
August 26, 2017, 09:27:28 AM
It's a good idea, and reducing scams is obviously a good thing, I'm just not sure how well it would work in practice. The admins would have to have the infrastructure set up to offer specific vetting services that would have to be the same for all projects in the interest of fairness. And what happens when a legitimate project falls through the cracks and is somehow labelled a scam when it's not? Or, even worse, a scam project is vetted as legit by the admins and people end up losing their funds?

I just don't think the admins here would be willing to take on that kind of risk/hassle.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 263
August 26, 2017, 08:53:38 AM
totally agree with that,
it's an excellent idea for me,it will prevent those shit ICOs without proper project and preparation to come up.
mods can not deleting the thread because it will affect this community and they might be attacking the mods which is will make this community to suffer and this the other solution to prevent those shitty project to come up.
while this community get a benefit from their existence.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 1254
Thread-puller extraordinaire
August 26, 2017, 08:30:41 AM
There are an absurd number of ICOs being launched through this forum these days, far more than we can keep up with and expose. I don't see it getting any better all the while the scammers have a platform such as this, which allows them to use hacked accounts and bot-posting to set up multiple ICO threads for free.

Somebody came up with an excellent idea on the matter:
If I were Theymos, I would charge 1 BTC to post an ICO. Then I would use some of it to vet the principles. Farm out the leg work to reputable people on here to dig into it.

While it will not 100% eliminate the problem I bet it would reduce it by 95%.

A chance for all to make a bit of BTC and make for a safer investment climate.

Thoughts?

Personally I think simply introducing a fee to start an ICO thread would result in an immediate drop in the numbers we're currently seeing. If you've got a legit operation you sure as hell can afford a bitcoin or two in order to collect millions in ICO funding.

Pages:
Jump to: