Pages:
Author

Topic: How to create a PULL request - page 3. (Read 90813 times)

Activity: 540
Merit: 500
April 22, 2011, 03:28:46 PM
Me too. Thanks Gavin.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
March 31, 2011, 10:31:23 AM
Code:
git commit -a -m "Check out my awesome bugfix"

This way you won't end up in Vim (and freak out). This is more usefull for shorter commit messages though.
...or you could just tell git what editor you'd prefer!
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
March 27, 2011, 11:16:09 PM
I think it's possible to do something along the line of:

Code:
git remote add bitcoin [email protected]:username/bitcoin-git.git

Then you'll only need to do:

Code:
git push bitcoin branch_name
git pull bitcoin branch_name

You can also add a commit message by using the -m flag:

Code:
git commit -a -m "Check out my awesome bugfix"

This way you won't end up in Vim (and freak out). This is more usefull for shorter commit messages though.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
March 17, 2011, 01:29:21 PM
The bitcoin integration/testing source tree is at GitHub, and we (jgarzik/tcatm/gavinandresen right now) use GitHub's "pull request" feature to keep track of patches that people think are ready for integration into mainline bitcoin.  This post is a walk-through of how to create a pull request.

1. You'll need a GitHub account; sign up for free, and set up git and ssh to work with GitHub.

2. You need a fork of the main bitcoin source tree.  Login to your GitHub account, browse to the bitcoin project, then poke the little 'Fork' button near the top of the screen.

3. Connect that fork at GitHub with source code on your development machine.  The easiest way to do that is to clone your github fork, using the SSH Read+Write URL github shows you on your fork's page.  For example:
Code:
git clone [email protected]:your_github_name/bitcoin-git.git
cd bitcoin-git
git checkout -b niftynewfeature # Create a feature branch
 ... edit, test, re-edit, re-test...
git commit -a
git push [email protected]:your_github_name/bitcoin.git niftynewfeature:niftynewfeature
You might already have a clone of the bitcoin git tree that you've modified; you should push those changes into your new GitHub fork.  Assuming you made your changes in the 'master' branch on your machine (next time you should create a specific feature branch), the command would be:
Code:
git commit -a
git rebase -i remotes/origin/HEAD  # optional: lets you tidy up commits to create a clean patch
git push [email protected]:your_github_name/bitcoin.git master:niftynewfeature

4. Submit a PULL request by going to your fork's GitHub page, selecting the branch containing the changes you want pulled ("niftynewfeature" in the above example), and then poking the "Pull Request" button.  Enter a good description of what your changes do and why they're a good idea and how everybody and their brother is already using them to make the world a better place .

Eventually, if all goes well, after discussion and argument and nit-picking and revision, your changes will get pulled into the bitcoin repository.  If all doesn't go well, you (or the core developers) can close your pull request and resubmit it when the feature is perfect.
Pages:
Jump to: