Pages:
Author

Topic: How to explain bitcoin to old people - page 2. (Read 2653 times)

vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
August 14, 2012, 08:44:47 AM
my dad has been using the internet for 15 years or more, I'm 50 in November, I guess he's old, seemed to get the idea when I explained it to him last time I caught up.

I have to say it generalisations ie: "isms" are not valid, age.., race...,sex...
Activity: 354
Merit: 250
August 14, 2012, 08:41:15 AM
Americans old enough to have lived through the depression are likely to appreciate the advantages of bitcoin, once their properly explained.  I don't know how Americans who lived during the period in which the gold trade was restricted feel about it, but maybe there's something there, too.  In general, I think there is quite a bit of anti-statism among the older generations that can be exploited.

I wouldn't even try to explain the technical aspect, not least because my own understanding is imperfect.  Just assure them that it's protected by unbreakable mathematical principles.

Naturally, everyone is different and the same approach might not work for everyone etc. etc.
Activity: 931
Merit: 500
August 14, 2012, 08:30:19 AM
Tell them its the best present for their grandchildren.

legendary
Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000
August 14, 2012, 08:20:57 AM
Problem: they don't know what online, internet, email, scanning and emailing is. Not joking, they really don't know ANYTHING about computer. And, worst thing, they don't want to learn about it.

That's not always true. Not long ago, at the grocery store, an old lady in front of me at the cashier's desk was asking them about the shop's loyalty point system, said she didn't have her membership card with her, and asked if she could claim her points on the chain's website (yes) and what keyword she should search for to find the right page.

It's 2012.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
August 14, 2012, 08:07:22 AM
Problem: they don't know what online, internet, email, scanning and emailing is. Not joking, they really don't know ANYTHING about computer. And, worst thing, they don't want to learn about it.
Activity: 317
Merit: 1012
August 14, 2012, 08:03:30 AM
Pages:
Jump to: