Pages:
Author

Topic: How to import electrum.dat file (created with 1.8.1) in Electrum 1.9 ? - page 2. (Read 7271 times)

Activity: 1252
Merit: 811
How to import old electrum.dat file via offline restore?
When i run new release of Electrum it asks for creating new wallet or restore it by seed or master key.

If the electrum.dat file is in the user folder, when updating the client will turns it into the new wallet structure /wallets/default_wallet

Do you mean /home/user folder or /home/user/.electrum folder?
Anyway i didn't update the client, now i just have an electrum.dat file and a fresh install on Electrum 1.9.2.

PS: I see now that they released 1.9.4... how to delete the previous version before install the new one?
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
How do you do this for Windows? Huh

I tried updating with putting electrum.dat (which I kept on a memory stick) back in the Appsdata Roaming/Electrum folder but it Electrum won't start up when I put the electrum.dat there. I don't like programs that autisticly change file locations with new updates. It seems I can only reclaim my Bitcoins by finding the seed. If only I knew where I kept it. Seems I have lost my Bitcoins. Angry

If you put your backup of the electrum.dat in the Electrum's user directory \Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Local\Electrum the latest version will turn it to the new format /wallets/default_wallet

Writing the seed and keeping it in a safe place is the first thing the client warns you to do after opening it.

If you still have your electrum.dat and you know the password it is encrypted with, you are safe to restore your wallet.

OK thanks, will try this! Can you recover the seed when you have access to your wallet? I did write it down but later mislaid the copy.
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
@tinus42 you can open the wallet with File > Open in the menu options and then use File > Copy to make a local copy of it.
Bitcoin Venezuela

I tried updating with putting electrum.dat (which I kept on a memory stick) back in the Appsdata Roaming/Electrum folder but it Electrum won't start up when I put the electrum.dat there. I don't like programs that autisticly change file locations with new updates. It seems I can only reclaim my Bitcoins by finding the seed. If only I knew where I kept it. Seems I have lost my Bitcoins. Angry

If you put your backup of the electrum.dat in the Electrum's user directory \Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Local\Electrum the latest version will turn it to the new format /wallets/default_wallet

Writing the seed and keeping it in a safe place is the first thing the client warns you to do after opening it.

If you still have your electrum.dat and you know the password it is encrypted with, you are safe to restore your wallet.
Activity: 784
Merit: 501

Bitcoin Venezuela
What to do if we want to update offline client? Someone said on reddit that seed can be restored only when online from this version  Huh

This bug was fixed, check the 1.9.2 zip file for offline restore / update.

When i run new release of Electrum it asks for creating new wallet or restore it by seed or master key.

If the electrum.dat file is in the user folder, when updating the client will turns it into the new wallet structure /wallets/default_wallet
What to do if we want to update offline client? Someone said on reddit that seed can be restored only when online from this version  Huh

Bitcoin Venezuela
Just installed new electrum and indeed there is no electrum.dat. Wallet file is now in wallets folder and called 'default_wallet'.

If you were updating it turns the old electrum.dat into a /wallets/default_wallet automatically.

Ubuntu 13.10 here too but I don't think that matters for wallet questions.

The only problem encountered in Ubuntu 13.10 is in the installation process that needs to run this line for slowaes
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install python-slowaes
Activity: 492
Just installed new electrum and indeed there is no electrum.dat. Wallet file is now in wallets folder and called 'default_wallet'.

What to do if we want to update offline client? Someone said on reddit that seed can be restored only when online from this version  Huh

Ubuntu 13.10 here too but I don't think that matters for wallet questions.
I'm on Ubuntu-Gnome 13.10.
Bitcoin Venezuela
I noticed that Electrum 1.9 doesn't use anymore electrum.dat file to store own wallet.
Am i right?
So, if i want to restore my wallet keeping labels, how to import electrum.dat file in new release?

Always put some info about you Operating System and the binary you are using. I guess you are on Windows with Standalone/Portable?

I think that what you say is fixed and is waiting for a release. Could you explain it more clearly?
I noticed that Electrum 1.9 doesn't use anymore electrum.dat file to store own wallet.
Am i right?
So, if i want to restore my wallet keeping labels, how to import electrum.dat file in new release?
Pages:
Jump to: