Pages:
Author

Topic: How to indicate, which cryptocoin will "make it"? - page 2. (Read 3095 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Look at the hashing power and difficulty. If less than half of the hardware in the world that is capable of mining it is mining it then it is way too vulnerable, so basically for each type of non merged mined hashing (SHA, scrypt, prime numbers etc) check out the one that has more than half of the hashing power, for starters.

For example primecoin and protoshares both use CPU mining, so which of them has more than half of the world's CPU power mining them?

Ooops, neither. CPU is a really crappy choice because it is unlikely that as much as half of the world's CPU power is even mining at all, let alone all mining the same coin.

So forget all the ones that are CPU-mined, until they come up with ASICs to do their mining they are trainwrecks waiting to happen.

(Waiting to become valuable enough to be worth wrecking, so I guess if you are only looking for crappy little penny-stock type toys they are fine, but if you are interested in coins worth $300,000 or more per coin forget all the CPU and GPU mining crap, get ASICs deployed as soon as possible or just assume the great chain robbery will happen as soon as it is profitable for the robbers to make it happen.)

So hmm I guess we are down to bitcoin and maybe a few of the coins merged mined with bitcoin (those that have more than half as much hashpower/difficulty as bitcoin)...

Oh proof of stake? Last I heard is still doesn't work without proof of work, plus, the actual proof of stake itself has a man-in-the-middle, much like Solidcoin, it seems. A gang is already sitting there with their hands on the wreck-switch just waiting for the right time to pull a heist...

-MarkM-
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
It all depends. It's called speculation for a reason, there is no definite answer anyone can give you because no one can see into the future, you just have to try and make a good guess and hope you're right.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
I think Netcoin will use advantage of its global name in the long term and when mining it becomes difficult enough, it'll rise and be in top 5.
Activity: 280
Merit: 100
I am surprised that some of you say, the hash rate is key to success... why?

Are you talking about mining time or are you talking about the time to process a deal? Mining time is, in my opinion, not relevant for the long term success of a coin, processing time is (imo).
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
Just unbelievable that people don't look at supply and demand in determining the long term prospects of a coin.

Unbelieveable!

One metric,  learn it well... network hash rate.  That and miner subsidy rate is all that realy counts.
Activity: 547
Merit: 502
Look for a coin with innovation that builds upon btc, not copies it.

-Litecoin is still a contender as it provides great diversification of hash power.
-Hybrid coins that combine POW and POS are interesting as they distribute coins with POW and get rid of wasted computer cycles by switching to POS later on.
-Protoshares, Bitshares, and Keyhotee can really change things if launched successfully and in a timely manner.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
I think a few CPU and GPU coins will make it, but it is very hard to say which.
Primecoin, litecoin and peer coin look like they are here for the long run, quark seems the favourite of the new CPU only coins, despite it's fast mining. The lack of future incentive to mine might be an issue though.

One or two other CPU coins could succeed in my opinion. No idea which though unfortunately.  I think the name of the coin is very important, can you imagine a coin with a "funny" name actually being globally used?
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
Most coins launched lately are pretty much pump and dump.
Popularity has a great influence on a coin, aswell as the developers and the community around it.
Since Doge was mentioned here before, its a fun coin i didnt expect it to make it but popularity won it over. Does it have a bright future? We dunno, sofar it has been pumped and dumped but its not over yet, it had alot of hype and still seems used. It could very well stay the coin of choice for the young crowds..

The way i decide if i like a coin or not:
Whats the premine (if any), heavy premine means i stay away from it. Small amounts are acceptable for bounties/giveaways to promote the coin. But theres coins that overdo it and just become unworthy.
Just the name of a coin can be important already, a good name helps in popularity which can result in adaption and a possible future for it.
Does it have anything new to offer? Or is it just a clone. Most things have been done already so if your just cloning something why use that coin instead of established coins that offer the same?
Who is making it, are the dev(s) dedicated. Devs are the driving force behind the coin, community are the ones supporting them but they aint the driving force behind it.
And finally the specs of it (block time/amount/transaction times) matter too ofc.

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Shouldn't the popularity of usage also be a prerequisite for a coin's success? Or is like more big guns can back a coin more popular it gets and then it is pumped and dumped? I am sure there is a lot of shady stuff going on in the back round as well as legit indicators.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Step 1: Mine new coins on day 1

Step 2: Wait for an exchange to add it

Step 3: Dump it like you just ate Chipotle

Step 4: HuhHuhHuh

Step 5: Profit
Activity: 280
Merit: 100
Hi all,

how do you guys decide, which coins you mine or where you invest in (long-term)?`

You can't check, what makes a lot noise in this board alone, so what other resources do you use? Or what indicators do you think help? E.G. I can check Google Trends, but that works only, if a coin is already pretty big (like DOGE in a short time).

But what other factors can I take in my sight? For example I check the description and think about "will someone else be impressed by this text". I believe, if the coin has nothing in the description that makes a difference plus it's not unique in it's writing/story telling, then I personally believe, it will not work.

But what you guys think? Are USPs important or is it more important that the technique behind is better than BTC? If so, what are the indicators? What other things do you think will decide about a win or loss for a coin?
Pages:
Jump to: