Pages:
Author

Topic: How to know if the ICO is scam - page 3. (Read 4487 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 255
September 15, 2017, 10:05:05 PM
It isn't that easy to spot scam ICO. That is why many go away easily after scamming people. Before investing in any ICO, I usually do a research of their website, their team members and read their whitepaper. Sometimes, in team members they jave just used Google images. They don't have any other presence. Sometimes whitepaper is without any vision which seems like a fake project. These are clear indicators. But some scam ICOs play very well with interactive session, answering queries, showing some fake progress and people trust them till the end. So, there is no definitive way to know a scam ICO. But do a thorough research before investing.
Activity: 342
Merit: 108
Bounty Detective
September 15, 2017, 09:48:12 PM
Its difficult to know if an ICO is a scam . I think there is one thing to know if an ICO is a scam , if it has no website or the information that been given is too easy . I dont know how to figure it out but you can make your own research if you want to know thw ICO is a scam or not.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 15, 2017, 09:11:35 PM
At least you dont know if an ICO is a scam. I mean you can do a lot of researches about the devs and the team behind the project. What have they done in the before they joined crypto? They have experience? But yeah as I said. You never know Cheesy
Activity: 280
September 15, 2017, 09:08:45 PM
so whats the definition of scam? is the project itself or the coin price on exchange? scam projects may have a good market performance due to publicity and manipulation, good projects may have a long term downturn period since lack of promotion
Activity: 172
September 15, 2017, 09:00:30 PM
Its pretty hard to tell if its a scam. That is why you realky have to verify and do some research first before investing. Always follow your instincts.
VTS
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Licensing & Monetizing Digital Content!
September 13, 2017, 04:07:19 AM
Well the LISK ICO was no scam.

1 BTC in 2016 at 650 usd a BTC if I remember right..and it is worth $42,111.52 as of a couple of min ago.

On the other hand, I could have gotten 990 ETH at 1 BTC also on their ICO and passed Sad (Would have been worth today $276,873.30..ouch!)

But maybe, now in 2017....too many ICO's and too many are scams..don't know..just saying from my viewpoint

Ack!...so many missed boats Sad

Think positive! :-) You missed a lot of scam as well and prolly still got a profit in your pocket!
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
September 13, 2017, 03:56:50 AM
Well the LISK ICO was no scam.

1 BTC in 2016 at 650 usd a BTC if I remember right..and it is worth $42,111.52 as of a couple of min ago.

On the other hand, I could have gotten 990 ETH at 1 BTC also on their ICO and passed Sad (Would have been worth today $276,873.30..ouch!)

But maybe, now in 2017....too many ICO's and too many are scams..don't know..just saying from my viewpoint

Ack!...so many missed boats Sad

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
September 13, 2017, 03:53:49 AM
Some of my fellow local members here told me that as long as it is premine then there is a huge possiblity that it's a scam so I stay away with it with no hesitation.
Activity: 158
September 13, 2017, 01:33:23 AM
You cannot say for sure if ICO is scam or not. But, you can check for few things before investing

1. The team behind the ICO is familiar in the industry. Not all of them might be but at least few of them
2. There's an escrow account in case minimum investment target is not met and refund is to be given
3. The project or coin has usefulness. I don't think it is always important that the idea should be new but nonetheless it should have a new way of thinking / approaching a problem
4. The project is well marketed. It someway indicates the maturity of the team in running startups
5. If the project is completed, you can check for codebase on Github. It's not important for codebase to be public but it adds to the legitimacy
Activity: 335
Merit: 101
Need Bounty Manager?Hire me on telegram @asma500
September 13, 2017, 01:22:34 AM
there are many ico in forum.red the ico whitepaper and research the team member,their information.it's useful to know it is scam or not.
Activity: 2226
Merit: 347
September 12, 2017, 11:49:39 PM
i think team is the most important factor. if the team is not giving public information for no reason, the ICO may be scam although there are some exceptions. also, it's good to check if the whitepaper has plagiarism and such.
This is one of the most important thing on me which i do always seek when i do plan to invest on an ICO which i do seek for its developer/owners transparency into their project because i would research if those devs are experienced already on this cryptoworld because seeing on recent devs on some project some of them are just still kids which do really lacks on knowledge that is why most of them do fail.
Activity: 378
UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™
September 12, 2017, 11:47:18 PM
i think team is the most important factor. if the team is not giving public information for no reason, the ICO may be scam although there are some exceptions. also, it's good to check if the whitepaper has plagiarism and such.
Activity: 134
Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain
September 12, 2017, 09:01:31 PM
check their information carefully. waiting their interview on youtube and wait people invest first.
Activity: 546
Merit: 250
September 12, 2017, 08:57:44 PM
Many ico was here in forum and i always read the comment/reply of others, they got a negative feedback for project for participant to have doubt in campaign, I know some of member always do that so it can less the user in campaign and they will gain more profit. I wonder specific info on how to investigate, Yah, We can predict if the project will be success or not by reading the update in thread but how specific we can do to check if its scam or not.   

i think you must read the whitepaper then check the team .
after reading white paper you will released the what they are going to make new things if you felt they are talking good enough then Jump into it

Thanks
Regards

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
September 12, 2017, 08:50:24 PM
i put btc in 1 scam ico startum and not receive anything

what happens to these scam ico? do police do anything?
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
June 26, 2017, 04:23:10 AM
simply everything has to match

- team (i stay away from 2-5man teams, its just to risky for me)
- whitepaper (can the really achief it or is it just a lot of talk)
- roadmap, always good to know if they have a detailed roadmap
- current status (do they still need to start or do they already have a product)

those 4 things is what i am looking for in an ICO

minor things like a shiny website i really dont care about, everybody can get a shiny website
legendary
Activity: 861
Merit: 1000
June 26, 2017, 03:54:48 AM
first i will check who is the team member and then who escrow the fund

that's very useful for me to know if it's a scam
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010
ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀
June 26, 2017, 03:30:54 AM
Some developers may need money to even start, but scammers will say the same thing. Read articles on the analysis of status the ICO.

Most of the new ICO's are scam, you can't recognize in the early stages and once you put money it'll be too difficult to make a profit.
There are lots of clues through which we can say that one is a scam, website design, features, team details. Read about it.
Activity: 1590
Merit: 501
June 26, 2017, 03:27:46 AM
Some developers may need money to even start, but scammers will say the same thing. Read articles on the analysis of status the ICO.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
June 26, 2017, 03:12:55 AM
The point is that ICOs are a completely new fundraising mechanism that allow the masses to participate where they couldn't before. Small investors simply couldn't easily join a venture capital round.

Of course there are and will be scams but at the same time there will be wildly successful projects.

Investors have to do their due diligence... team, business model, market opportunity, etc.
Pages:
Jump to: