Pages:
Author

Topic: How to make sure Bitcoin will never be banned by governments! - page 2. (Read 7582 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Lead Core BitKitty Developer
Whatever you do, ask your own lawyers anyway.

We are trying to check for things in the broadest range possible, and until the status of bitcoin is legally defined, accepting donations in bitcoins can be bad. It depends on context and various things.

Let me say it explicitly. I am not your legal counsel. I provide an opinion based on the feedback of different lawyer firms working together in the US for us, and they wouldn't advice anyone to accept bitcoins as donations.

Ok, can we remove all businesses/organisations that say "accepting bitcoin donations" from the wiki please? Because if that is true, then the wiki is displaying illegal activities.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Our US lawyers have confirmed that at this point it is not legal for an organization to accept donations in bitcoins.

The charity will know the regulations for accepting cash donations vs. property donations, if there are any differences.  The opinion we got is that there is nothing illegal about it, but of course it is up to the discretion of the charity.  They can accept or decline anything, including furniture, cars, blankets, food, etc.  
Our US lawyers have confirmed that at this point it is not legal for an organization to accept donations in bitcoins.

They have hope this situation can be resolved, but in the meantime, in the USA, accepting bitcoin donations puts the organization at risk.

What is that based on? If it's illegal to accept it for a donation then by that logic I don't see how you could accept it as payment.

This. But lets be honest, didn't we already know that? Or have you seen any tax papers that have a section to declare your bitcoin income?

Same section you declare the goat your neighbor gave you for mowing their lawn while they were on vacation.

Jered

Thats what I mean. The non-existing section. Unless you know how to calculate the VAT on a goat.
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
I've asked MT to clarify :

accepting donations in BTC is an issue because of all the reglementations around donations
business activity is slightly less reglemented than donations

vip
Activity: 608
Merit: 501
-
Whatever you do, ask your own lawyers anyway.

We are trying to check for things in the broadest range possible, and until the status of bitcoin is legally defined, accepting donations in bitcoins can be bad. It depends on context and various things.

Let me say it explicitly. I am not your legal counsel. I provide an opinion based on the feedback of different lawyer firms working together in the US for us, and they wouldn't advice anyone to accept bitcoins as donations.
Activity: 420

They have hope this situation can be resolved, but in the meantime, in the USA, accepting bitcoin donations puts the organization at risk.

What is that based on? If it's illegal to accept it for a donation then by that logic I don't see how you could accept it as payment.

This. But lets be honest, didn't we already know that? Or have you seen any tax papers that have a section to declare your bitcoin income?

Same section you declare the goat your neighbor gave you for mowing their lawn while they were on vacation.

Jered
Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

Citation please.  My family business is tax preparation.  Both my mother and sister are IRS enrolled agents and represent individuals and organizations before the IRS.  I have consulted them on the matter and according to them, there is absolutely no issue with a charity accepting donations in bitcoin.

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

Does that include shops ?
Activity: 420

What is that based on? If it's illegal to accept it for a donation then by that logic I don't see how you could accept it as payment either.

Not trying to argue just like to know what legal precedent they based it on.

Jered
vip
Activity: 608
Merit: 501
-

By the way Bit-pay folks, I would like to encourage you to post a site or at least a forum post of the charities who sign on with you to accept cryptocurrency payment, I am sure many would like to see as these get added so that they can support charities that agree with their ideals and favored choice of currency :-D

Great idea, I've already started a forum post with the announcement, and will probably make another one with a list of the accepting locations.

It can't hurt for everyone to talk to any charities they know, tell them you want to make a donation but only if they accept bitcoins.  We do everything for them for free, so there is no risk or cost to the charity.

We immediately convert these to US Dollars, which clearly establishes their value

Acknowledgement that bitcoin has no (clear) value. Love it.
We have solved the escrow problem.  There is no longer a need for any third-party to accumulate donations.

https://bit-pay.com/forCharities.html

The charity can now have an account with Bit-pay and accept the bitcoins directly. 

We immediately convert these to US Dollars, which clearly establishes their value, and then we electronically transfer the dollars by ACH directly to the charity's bank account.

vip
Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105
In tonight's Bitcoin Brainstorming session,  we came up with an idea to make sure...

Speaking of the brainstorming session, I'd certainly be interested to know any details about it.  I'd be surprised if a lot of others here were not as well.  Who was present, in person or via vid, was it taped, etc.  That sort of thing.  It seems pretty clear that Bruce Wagner was a party and as you probably know there are a lot of questions about his character which have surfaced since the time of your post.

Thanks!

I'm aware of all the issues that have surfaced in regards to Bruce Wagner since my initial post.  He was in Toyko earlier this week,  and I had an informal dinner with him,  and a couple other Tokyo locals who are interested in Bitcoins.  For months,  every day, all day has been a Bitcoin brainstorming session.  I hope more great ideas will follow soon.  I am sure this charity idea is still a great one,  and I will work to see it through.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
In tonight's Bitcoin Brainstorming session,  we came up with an idea to make sure...

Speaking of the brainstorming session, I'd certainly be interested to know any details about it.  I'd be surprised if a lot of others here were not as well.  Who was present, in person or via vid, was it taped, etc.  That sort of thing.  It seems pretty clear that Bruce Wagner was a party and as you probably know there are a lot of questions about his character which have surfaced since the time of your post.

Thanks!
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
So who still thinks it is a good idea to donate bitcoins to a fund that is not yet sure it will even find a proper place to send the money to, which is controlled by a guy who has lost 25k in bitcoins on an earlier occasion and is now linked to shady stuff involving child prostitution (I'm not saying he did anything, but it's definitely fishy enough for any charity organisation to never want anythong to do with it)?

I'm the one running all of this,  and I have never been involved with any of the things you just mentioned.
So, YES,  I do still think it is a GREAT idea.

MD: The opening to this thread stated that Bruce Wagner had been chosen to hold the coins in escrow.

Unfortunately since you opened this thread there have been some ... well, honestly, pretty distasteful developments with regards to Bruce's behavior and opinions. Including an article he wrote trying to argue that rape victims are the ones to blame for being raped.

You open a thread soliciting money. You state Bruce Wagner will hold the currency. That's what it says right in the opening post.

Your own words. "Bruce Wagner of onlyonetv.com has agreed to hold the funds in escrow until we reach $10,000 worth of BTC." They're still there. I just checked.

Given that your primary goal in getting charities to accept bitcoin is to garner positive publicity for Bitcoin, please do not attempt to ignore the issue. I am not accusing you of committing such behavior. I am not accusing you of condoning it. I know full well much of what I refer to here blew up around the forum after you created this thread. However the situation does now exist and it is probably quite relevant, and it does need to be addressed -- even if this is simply you posting a clear statement of what Bruce's involvement in this project is, and editing your first post if necessary to reflect that.

The coins are being held by MTGOX

Your opening post states:

Bruce Wagner of onlyonetv.com has agreed to hold the funds in escrow until we reach $10,000 worth of BTC.

Once it is listed on the charity's website, Bruce will send out a press release to all the media contacts he has.
It should make major news headlines as well!

So you are working closely together with Bruce Wagner.

and I think you should look up the definition of "Non sequitur"
 (Latin for "it does not follow"), in formal logic, is an argument in which its conclusion does not follow from its premises

I think you should stop trying to find latin words to hide behind. Basically what you are saying is that you don't care Bruce thinks about rape and you don't care how he is linked to shady business, you will work with him as long as it serves what you feel is a beneficial purpose.
vip
Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

Yeah, but you're having the coins controlled by someone who thinks it's a girls fault if she gets raped and who is now linked to illegal acts in a place he is trying to go back to with bitcoin.

But ok, nice to know you endorse all of that.

The coins are being held by MTGOX and I think you should look up the definition of "Non sequitur"
 (Latin for "it does not follow"), in formal logic, is an argument in which its conclusion does not follow from its premises

I'm the one running all of this,  and I have never been involved with any of the things you just mentioned.
So, YES,  I do still think it is a GREAT idea.

Yeah, but you're having the coins controlled by someone who thinks it's a girls fault if she gets raped and who is now linked to illegal acts in a place he is trying to go back to with bitcoin.

But ok, nice to know you endorse all of that.
Pages:
Jump to: