Pages:
Author

Topic: How to recover btc after windows reinstall - page 6. (Read 6634 times)

Activity: 19
Merit: 10
Can anyone point me to a guide on using pywallet or a recovery program to attempt getting my btc back from a hard drive that has had windows reinstalled. The drive was removed from the laptop and was used for less than a week after the stupid event. I have bought a hard drive caddy but want to know if i should use a recovery program or can i just use pywallet?. If anyone could point me to a guide that is useable by a computer novice, ie a step by step spoon feed type guide, i would be very grateful. Cheers guys.

--

If you have the HDD, I would recommend one piece of software that I have used before(Though not recover DBase Files, that is the kind of file for wallet.dat), here the link: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

The software you want to use is PhotoRec. I would give it a shot. Just remember to save the recovered files in another drive, not the one you are scanning. Good Luck!
Activity: 217
Merit: 109
Thanks for your reply. So the first step would be to search for wallet.dat? using a recovery program, how could i distinguish between ltc, qrk and btc data?.
They are all named 'wallet.dat', thus I don't believe that you could distinguish unless there is a leftover path. If you recover any wallet.dat file, back it up and throw it into a client(s) to test which it is.

I have to try whatever it takes as we are talking about maybe 32btc plus some ltc. cheers. Cry
32 BTC and:
1) Using Windows.
2) Keeping all funds at one machine.
3) Having no other backups.

These are some of the worst security practices that I've seen. Good luck with the recovery.
This is my brother in laws mess up and i am having a go at retrieval for him, and yes i know how stupidly he has acted. Roll Eyes. Thanks again.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
pywallet also has a recovery mode for attempting to find deleted wallet files... whether or not it is able to find anything after the drive has been formatted and had the OS reinstalled is another story...

Read more here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-recover-your-deleted-keys-38004
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Thanks for your reply. So the first step would be to search for wallet.dat? using a recovery program, how could i distinguish between ltc, qrk and btc data?.
They are all named 'wallet.dat', thus I don't believe that you could distinguish unless there is a leftover path. If you recover any wallet.dat file, back it up and throw it into a client(s) to test which it is.

I have to try whatever it takes as we are talking about maybe 32btc plus some ltc. cheers. Cry
32 BTC and:
1) Using Windows.
2) Keeping all funds at one machine.
3) Having no other backups.

These are some of the worst security practices that I've seen. Good luck with the recovery.
You need a wallet file to use pywallet. It alone, without such a file, is useless. If the drive was overwritten then the chance of recovery is very slim.

For attempting to recover, try one of these:
EaseUs
Recuve
Thanks for your reply. So the first step would be to search for wallet.dat? using a recovery program, how could i distinguish between ltc, qrk and btc data?. I have to try whatever it takes as we are talking about maybe 32btc plus some ltc. cheers. Cry
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
You need a wallet file to use pywallet. It alone, without such a file, is useless. If the drive was overwritten then the chance of recovery is very slim.

For attempting to recover, try one of these:
EaseUs
Recuve
Can anyone point me to a guide on using pywallet or a recovery program to attempt getting my btc back from a hard drive that has had windows reinstalled. The drive was removed from the laptop and was used for less than a week after the stupid event. I have bought a hard drive caddy but want to know if i should use a recovery program or can i just use pywallet?. If anyone could point me to a guide that is useable by a computer novice, ie a step by step spoon feed type guide, i would be very grateful. Cheers guys.
Pages:
Jump to: