Pages:
Author

Topic: How to retrieve bitcoin from deceased brother - page 2. (Read 600 times)

Activity: 90
Merit: 0
That cant be possible because wallets where btc is stored have its own private key/password, if ever you knew his private key then you can retrieve it but if you dont have an idea then it is all loss then. But if you are lucky you can search your brothers all places where ever he was living or working as he would have kept some records of his work what he was doing in cryptocurrency. If you get lucky then you will sure get not only bitcoin wallet details but some of the other altcoins also if he had invested in them. Apart from that you can do nothing to recover his bitcoins and altcoins.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 738
Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com
Yesterday I heard he had purchased bitcoin a long time ago.
If you have access to his items, start from his phone and pc to track his online activities
if he has mail apps installed, usually it is still logged on and you can check his email
basically search around and do some detective works on his belongings
find something related to bitcoin and cryto currency, bitcoin core, wallet/exchange apps and etc
Activity: 324
Merit: 15
Remembered a topic that speak about the issue of how to transmit the crypto in case of trouble. Unfortunately without knowing where he stored them and the appropriate password it is impossible for you to recover them. Yes you need to search everywhere you could, papers, computers, phone... to find the place and the pass. Also if exchanges wallet and 2fa authentification you need the phone for the code or difficult discussion will begin with support to give the good informations to recover, more or less difficult depending of the exchange.

After this you will be able to try to sell them.
Activity: 1260
Merit: 524
Hello,  my brother passed away last week. Yesterday I heard he had purchased bitcoin a long time ago. What do I need to do to be able to sell his bitcoin as part of his estate.  I have no bitcoin wallet app from him.  Don’t know password. There is no will, although I can obtain an attorney who can legally appoint me as administrator of the estate. He lived in Miami, Florida. Thank you for any help

Search your brothers all places where ever he was living and working as he would have kept some records of his work what he was doing in cryptocurrency. If you get lucky then you will sure get not only bitcoin wallet details but some of the other altcoins also if he had invested in them. Apart from that you can do nothing to recover his bitcoins and altcoins. Attorney can only give legal status of administrating his property and other physical movable assets. But for crypto currency you have to get the wallet details without it you can do nothing.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3132
I have no bitcoin wallet app from him.  Don’t know password.

That makes it impossible for you to recover the bitcoins he bought. I guess that he didn't decide to use an exchange to store his coins. Software wallets usually encrypt the file which contains the private key. It is needed to spend coins, so without the password you won't be able to do anything either. Since Bitcoin is decentralized, there is no authority which could hand you over the access of the bitcoins even if you confirmed your identity.

The only possibility is that he had left his seed (12 or 24 words used for wallet recovery) or a paper wallet with QR codes.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Hello,  my brother passed away last week. Yesterday I heard he had purchased bitcoin a long time ago. What do I need to do to be able to sell his bitcoin as part of his estate.  I have no bitcoin wallet app from him.  Don’t know password. There is no will, although I can obtain an attorney who can legally appoint me as administrator of the estate. He lived in Miami, Florida. Thank you for any help
Pages:
Jump to: