Pages:
Author

Topic: How to Save Bitcoins for Future - page 2. (Read 269 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
May 18, 2023, 09:38:21 AM
Alternative option:

- Download and install Tails OS on a USB flash drive. The application is already built into this Linux OS family.

Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_(operating_system) (There you can also find a link to the official website of Tails OS).

This Live Flash Drive can be booted from any PC. Each session will be from scratch (data from the last session will not be saved).

- Generate a seed phrase and engrave it down on a piece of stainless steel.

- A flash drive can be formatted or physically destroyed.

- Hide the seed phrase on metal in a safe place. For the future.

- Extract when the right time comes and repeat in reverse order using Live Flash Drive with Tails OS.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
May 18, 2023, 06:24:53 AM

OP, actually, your post contains very little information about this wallet. I've always assumed that if someone writes a manual, it should start with the first letter and end with the last. Moreover, you write that these tips will be useful for beginners. So everything should be, literally, chewed.
Although I don't write guides like this myself, searching the forums reveals a lot of information about this wallet. And I, frankly, do not understand why such guides are not yet fixed on the forum so as not to create unnecessary topics.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5351743
Activity: 812
Merit: 260
May 18, 2023, 02:27:25 AM
Heads up: solely turning off the internet doesn't help that much. If you're technically literate enough to decently understand Bitcoin/crypto, you should be technically literate enough to learn how to create a bootable Linux OS on a flash drive and do the wallet generation through it.
Exactly, this is what I did using Linux Mint 2.1.1 on a 20$ USB flash drive, it's been safe like this since 2021, until I bought my new Hardware wallet and I started moving my assets to the hardware wallet.

Use Electrum wallet on your phone if it cant take a week before you make transactions, there is no point doing this using your hardware wallet for every transactions, and use the strategy up there if you want to keep your recovery seed offline for a long period of time or buy a new hardware wallet.

make sure you download your Electrum wallet software from official source only, some third party websites offer Electrum download, do not take such route to download wallets, always use official links.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
May 18, 2023, 02:17:20 AM
Heads up: solely turning off the internet doesn't help that much. If you're technically literate enough to decently understand bitcoin/crypto, you should be technically literate enough to learn how to create a bootable Linux OS on a flashdrive and do the wallet generation through it.
Activity: 672
Merit: 557
May 18, 2023, 02:05:21 AM
After downloading, just shut down the internet, and make sure no internet connection. Or better to copy Electrum to a flash disk and go to a PC or Laptop which broken wifi and internet.
Downloading electrum and then shutdown the internet connection doesn't mean your PC or Laptop are already secure, don't download the electrum on the device you want to use as a cold storage. You need to know if vulnerability isn't only happen because of internet connection, but it also depends on your PC or Laptop security.

Below are the better steps:
1. Perform a malware check in your online device that you use to download Electrum.
2. Format your flash disk and use this to copy your Electrum from your online device to offline device.
3. Format your offline device and install new OS, better to use Linux since it's open source and has a less risk to compared to windows. Disable or remove anything that related to connection e.g. internet, bluetooth etc.
4. Transfer your electrum from your flash disk to your offline device, install it and check the signature.
Activity: 868
Merit: 737
May 18, 2023, 01:15:14 AM
This tutorial is only for beginners who don't know how to save bitcoins. Because as far as I know, many beginners and newbies save their bitcoin on exchange and online wallets which it is very dangerous and not recommended as a future or long time investment.

my method does not need capital or buy a new hardware wallet, the beginners just need to download Electrum wallet, which recommended way has often been explained here many times.

After downloading, just shut down the internet, and make sure no internet connection. Or better to copy Electrum to a flash disk and go to a PC or Laptop which broken wifi and internet

After that step, open Electrum wallet and create a standard wallet with seed and Passphrase, write down the detail on paper (laminated it) or carve on steel, and keep it in the safest place. You have to make sure that place is very safe from fire, flood, people, moisture, and any kind of destroyers. (because this is your future investment and life, so treat the same as gold and money, or other investments)

So what next step is just to look at the Electrum address tab and copied it. And, make sure the address you have copied is correct, look it twice, make sure these addresses are the same, do it several times until you are sure nothing different with your copied and paste.

(I did recheck twice and triple, I closed Electrum and restart the pc and do it again to write the seed and passphrase just to make sure the address is correct and the same as what I write and copied)

After you got the address, permanently delete all data (AppData in Rooming) and electrum, shut down the PC (air-gapped) and you can move to a regular pc with the Internet. Because you only have the Bitcoin address, you can send Bitcoin you get from a buy-in exchange or any service there.

The address you have you can bookmark it on the browser and put it in Explorer, or create watch-only wallet in Electrum Android.
you can track your save in any time and anywhere, you do not have to worry, because this is Bitcoin where only you own the key, you do need to worry if the bank or exchange going to bankrupt, only you are in control of the assets and life.
Pages:
Jump to: