Author

Topic: How to save money. - page 159. (Read 345783 times)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
June 17, 2015, 07:35:49 AM
You save money by earning more.
Thats opposite then most views, but heres why. Theres a certain extent you can only save so much, clip coupons, order from the dollar menu, living a horrible frugal life style.
When you could be increasing cashflow by being creative.. and still be frugal.

I just assumed that everyone is already doing whatever they can to earn more, so it didn't make much sense to talk about it.
And when it comes to savings, i always prefer methods that doesn't compromise lifestyle too much, but still offer certain amount of savings to be made.

cheers

And I also believe that you can go for some extra job like part time which would add value to your wallet financially and basic day to day expenses can be taken care of by your extra earnings which would make your salary safe and could be useful at the time of emergencies or in the future.

With my regular job, I try to cover all my overall costs. Including rent, food, drinks, my car, utility etc etc. Doing extra work at my part time job gives me some more freedom (as I nearly needs my whole salary to cover these costs). But yes, this extra income is often used to pay unexpected costs (like repairments for my car) or otherwise I often save this money. But I mostly do more part time job when I am really in the need of the money  (thus to cover (unexpected) costs).
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
June 16, 2015, 08:13:16 PM
Thats opposite then most views, but heres why. Theres a certain extent you can only save so much, clip coupons, order from the dollar menu, living a horrible frugal life style.

I just assumed that everyone is already doing whatever they can to earn more, so it didn't make much sense to talk about it.
And when it comes to savings, i always prefer methods that doesn't compromise lifestyle too much, but still offer certain amount of savings to be made.

cheers

And I also believe that you can go for some extra job like part time which would add value to your wallet financially and basic day to day expenses can be taken care of by your extra earnings which would make your salary safe and could be useful at the time of emergencies or in the future.
Activity: 728
Never ending parties are what Im into.
June 16, 2015, 06:11:25 PM
I for sure have made saving money a goal this year,will come back and read through this thread later tonight before bed.
Used to be pretty bad with money till I started looking around and wondering how peoples lives end up in such a bad place.
Do not want to be 50 and wondering why they let me go and have less than 3 months pay to my name.
legendary
June 16, 2015, 06:05:55 PM
Isn't it possible to share Netflix account with other people also ?

It is, although I'm not sure whether this applies for each kind of membership (there are multiple). I share the most expensive on with 4 friends; you can actually watch movies/series with 4 persons at the same time (so only 1 person cannot watch movies/series at the very same time as the rest does). And this only cost me like €2,xx per month.

Besides that, here on Bitcointalk véry cheap Netflix accounts are offered. Some of them might not be legally obtained though.. I decided to simply pay the €2,xx per month.

I just assumed that everyone is already doing whatever they can to earn more...

Well, not really. When I'm really in the need of money I do. I try to find other extra ways to make money (read: legally, and just "normal" ways to make money..) I will do work that is even far below my educational level. I've had a period in which I lost a part time job, and I had to work at a farm to cover all my costs. I made many hours (for a wage that was even less than half I was used to) but I liked it though Wink. It also made me loose some weight hehe.

Nowadays, I try to find an optimal balance between work and spare-time. I've got an extra job in which I can determine whether I want to work or not, when, and how many hours I will make. Works great Wink
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
June 16, 2015, 05:51:22 PM

cheers
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
June 16, 2015, 04:29:54 PM

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
June 16, 2015, 02:41:33 PM
Maybe wallet services like Blockstream or Coinbase could somehow work into a user's home screen a listing of transactions and money spent in the last 30 days or something, something that is analogous to a credit card bill listing everything you have been spending money on.

People like that credit card companies do this; it's a de facto accounting system for people to use without their having to do anything extra and it encourages them to use credit cards to pay for things on a daily basis.

Maybe BTC will have something similar at some point. Probably more likely years off when a lot more BTC transactions are taking place and a summary of what you've spent money on in the last 30 days using BTC would be more useful since it would include most of someone's expenses.
legendary
June 16, 2015, 10:32:30 AM
Have a written budget, the easiest way to cut your costs is to know where you are spending your money. Having a written budget and tracking your expenses to ensure that it’s accurate is half the budgetary battle.

Budget and action plan can make a difference. Creating only a budget will not help in long run you also should be ready with a good action plan and need to follow it rigorously on regular basis try to postpone the expenses which are not important and carry it for the next month.

I agree, a budget can show you what you REALLY spend in a month.  Just make sure you put EVERYTHING.  Even that 7.99/month netflix bill.  Thats the first big hurdle is to actually figure out EVERY last thing you are spending money on. Then figure out what needs to be cut.  Everyone has somethign that can be cut.  Then make sure you have a SAVINGS category.  Whether you put that into btc or not is your call  Smiley

Isn't it possible to share Netflix account with other people also ? Would make sense if they don't block users from connecting from multiple IP's, now i know it may sound dumb to some since it's just a few bucks,
but taking care of small amounts let's you save up also with time.
BTW i wouldn't call any type of investment saving, as it can very well be in a loss at the time you need it most, but if you already have seperate emergency funds, it's not a bad idea at all.

cheers
Activity: 631
June 16, 2015, 10:12:39 AM
Have a written budget, the easiest way to cut your costs is to know where you are spending your money. Having a written budget and tracking your expenses to ensure that it’s accurate is half the budgetary battle.

Budget and action plan can make a difference. Creating only a budget will not help in long run you also should be ready with a good action plan and need to follow it rigorously on regular basis try to postpone the expenses which are not important and carry it for the next month.

I agree, a budget can show you what you REALLY spend in a month.  Just make sure you put EVERYTHING.  Even that 7.99/month netflix bill.  Thats the first big hurdle is to actually figure out EVERY last thing you are spending money on. Then figure out what needs to be cut.  Everyone has somethign that can be cut.  Then make sure you have a SAVINGS category.  Whether you put that into btc or not is your call  Smiley

Unwanted expenses should be avoided or should be carried forward to next month and who knows next month you might not need to spend your money on those expenses and you can also save a small part of money in a piggy bank  Grin
Activity: 560
June 16, 2015, 08:53:56 AM

Activity: 490
Merit: 255
June 15, 2015, 11:37:22 PM
This is my first post. Please do respect

My post intention is to help readers to save their money.

Some of the employee are not saving their money. They spend it on things that they dont need. For example gadgets,buying a concert ticket, accesories, etc.Buying things that not they need is also like a wasting money. Because this thing give a happiness  not a good life. Saving money is just like securing your future because your savings can help you in emergencies. These are the way to save money .
If you are empolyee. You must save atleast 20% of your salary. The 20% of your salary divides into two .

The 1st way : cash reserves- medical insurance, retirement, life insurance  and if you not have salary yet. And emergency. But dont spend all of you 10% in this emergency. You must know if the injury is serious o not before you spend the 10%.
The cash reserves must equal of your 6 months salary this will help you and ensure you becauas of you loss your job you have extra money .

The 2nd way : investment, business- you can invest in some company so that you have a extra income. And you can also built a small business that will always have an income like apartment.

Example. My wage is $ 7.5 per hour and i work for 8 hours and i work for 20 days. So thar my salary is $1,160 . The 20% of $1,160 is $232 .
So that my cash reserves is $ 116 i can spend this money in emergencies and medical insurance.
If my 6 month salary is $6,960 i can stop my saving money in cash reserves.

Thank you .

Great analysis and suggestions. This truly defines a proper way of managing your hard-earned money. It doesn't matter if a person is earning low or high until it is being properly managed. Well thought out plan.
Thanks. but some people can't still understand my point, they have so many question that they can only answer it by them selves. By experienced it or they would realize.

The people who don't realize the value of money are either doing very well and having abundant of it, or they actually do not care about anything.  Cheesy Cheesy
Just kidding  Smiley anyways on a serious note, it is truly a job well done from you to get all the aspects covered.
yeah and they have a flawed mind to understand what i really mean, and sometimes their question or topic are really out of topic, but i just ignore it because its so hard to explained if they not really understand.
Activity: 952
June 15, 2015, 10:33:57 PM

legendary
June 15, 2015, 05:07:13 PM
Example:

I had a rather large utility bill for water, but instead of cutting down on using water, i built a well with hydropack, and now water is virtually free for me (dust money for electricity - when hydropack is running)
Simple example, investment ROI was about 2 years. Money saved now withouth loosing any comfort, hell water even tastes 10x better (also had it analysed in a lab - everything was excellent)

The point i'm trying to make is that saving money doesn't mean that you always need to make sacrifices, there are a lot of other things you can do to save on the same principle.

cheers

Let me get this straight. You buy water, a lot of it because you mention you'd have a large utility bill for water, then you put that water in a well. Then you say that using that water in the well is "virtually free". Did you pay for it from that large utility bill for water? Or are you creating new water with it (which sounds crazy).
A great way to save money on electricity is to have solar panels on your house. If you don't use all the electricity the electricity companies will buy your excess power you generate back from you!

You really made me laugh hard! No, i don't put bottled water in the well - why the hell would i do that ?! It's a water well (google it if u really don't know what i'm talking about), but unlike those old ones when you would took water out of it with a bucket,i have a water pump installed. So it is virtually free water, except for dust money for electric pump, when it's working. (And maintenance costs every two years to clean the well)

Solar power is much more attractive if you don't use batteries but instead sell the power straight to the network - because of much smaller set-up costs.
But you need to sign a contract with the network first, at least that's the case where i live.

cheers
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
June 15, 2015, 09:23:02 AM

Some of the employee are not saving their money. They spend it on things that they dont need. For example gadgets,buying a concert ticket, accesories, etc.Buying things that not they need is also like a wasting money. Because this thing give a happiness  not a good life. Saving money is just like securing your future because your savings can help you in emergencies. These are the way to save money .
If you are empolyee. You must save atleast 20% of your salary. The 20% of your salary divides into two .

The 1st way : cash reserves- medical insurance, retirement, life insurance  and if you not have salary yet. And emergency. But dont spend all of you 10% in this emergency. You must know if the injury is serious o not before you spend the 10%.
The cash reserves must equal of your 6 months salary this will help you and ensure you becauas of you loss your job you have extra money .

The 2nd way : investment, business- you can invest in some company so that you have a extra income. And you can also built a small business that will always have an income like apartment.

Example. My wage is $ 7.5 per hour and i work for 8 hours and i work for 20 days. So thar my salary is $1,160 . The 20% of $1,160 is $232 .
So that my cash reserves is $ 116 i can spend this money in emergencies and medical insurance.

Thank you .

Great analysis and suggestions. This truly defines a proper way of managing your hard-earned money. It doesn't matter if a person is earning low or high until it is being properly managed. Well thought out plan.
Thanks. but some people can't still understand my point, they have so many question that they can only answer it by them selves. By experienced it or they would realize.

The people who don't realize the value of money are either doing very well and having abundant of it, or they actually do not care about anything.  Cheesy Cheesy
Just kidding  Smiley anyways on a serious note, it is truly a job well done from you to get all the aspects covered.
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
June 15, 2015, 08:30:18 AM

Thank you .

Activity: 378
June 15, 2015, 08:05:32 AM

Thank you .

legendary
June 15, 2015, 07:37:01 AM
*snip* when you are alone it is much easy to control your income, and much easy to avoid a complete random mess

Yes, that's true. However, if your partner also has a job, it might be easier to make ends meet; to be able to pay your costs. Sure, your total expenses are higher when you're living together with someone than when you're living alone. But for example the rent is much easier to cover with two persons.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
June 15, 2015, 03:23:49 AM
Whatever you do, don't get married.  And if you must get married, have a good financial plan and agreement --in writing-- ahead of time.  All sorts of control of your finances is lost when you get married.  Automatically, there are laws that guarantee your spouse certain amounts of your income.  Sometimes even until you are long divorced.  I'm not saying all the laws are wrong... I'm just saying learn about them because it can really affect "how to save money".

this is my first prerogative in the real life, removing all the problem, the first is about getting married, the second is removing the needs for the job, the third is being only happy and nothing else

removing all these problems is another way of saving your money, when you are alone it is much easy to control your income, and much easy to avoid a complete random mess
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
June 15, 2015, 02:23:55 AM
Whatever you do, don't get married.  And if you must get married, have a good financial plan and agreement --in writing-- ahead of time.  All sorts of control of your finances is lost when you get married.  Automatically, there are laws that guarantee your spouse certain amounts of your income.  Sometimes even until you are long divorced.  I'm not saying all the laws are wrong... I'm just saying learn about them because it can really affect "how to save money".
Activity: 434
Loose lips sink sigs!
June 15, 2015, 02:14:56 AM
Example:

I had a rather large utility bill for water, but instead of cutting down on using water, i built a well with hydropack, and now water is virtually free for me (dust money for electricity - when hydropack is running)
Simple example, investment ROI was about 2 years. Money saved now withouth loosing any comfort, hell water even tastes 10x better (also had it analysed in a lab - everything was excellent)

The point i'm trying to make is that saving money doesn't mean that you always need to make sacrifices, there are a lot of other things you can do to save on the same principle.

cheers

Let me get this straight. You buy water, a lot of it because you mention you'd have a large utility bill for water, then you put that water in a well. Then you say that using that water in the well is "virtually free". Did you pay for it from that large utility bill for water? Or are you creating new water with it (which sounds crazy).

A great way to save money on electricity is to have solar panels on your house. If you don't use all the electricity the electricity companies will buy your excess power you generate back from you!
Jump to: