Pages:
Author

Topic: How to secure my wallet ? - page 2. (Read 844 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 11
HODL
February 15, 2018, 11:51:08 AM
There are many ways you can store your bitcoin. I usually divide the number of bitcoins I have into sections to keep depending on my purpose. When I trade, I have to trade bits and pieces on commercial sites, and I also use online wallets like coinbase and blockchain to store bitcoins. I also keep bitcoin on hard wallets like Trezos and Nano S to secure the property that I have. Remember to keep your private key confidential so that it is not stolen.
Activity: 308
Merit: 0
February 15, 2018, 11:18:49 AM
I have a wallet on blockchain.info and another on my machine using bitcoinQT. For both I have the latest print out. Now if...

1. Somehow I cant log into blockchain.info, then will I be able to use my coins using my paper wallet ?

2. Somehow the data file of my bitcoinQT gets corrupt, then will I be able to use my coins using my paper wallet ?
yes i have no idea about this question .so i want to know how to secure my wallet and anyone don,t hack my wallet ..please tell me about it.
Activity: 392
Merit: 106
February 15, 2018, 11:01:37 AM
The only way to secure your wallet is to give a strong password.The password should carried different characters,capital letter,small letter,different types of sign etc.If you make a password through the above hints then I am quite sure that your wallet will be secured.
Activity: 14
February 15, 2018, 09:32:52 AM
How to create a 100% secure wallet today ?
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
December 24, 2013, 06:28:15 AM
u need a backup on a usb drive Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital
December 24, 2013, 05:19:32 AM
If u try to xplain these security aspects to a non-coder, he'll say "My leather wallet is the best"  Tongue
Activity: 28
December 23, 2013, 08:50:18 AM
First of all @OP you have to do a backup then try to recover your password if you can't login to your wallet account.
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
December 23, 2013, 08:37:19 AM
backup ur wallet on flash drive so u can export it to blockchain
or from blockchain to wallet
When you say back up your wallet, do you mean to just copy the .dat file?
Activity: 6
December 23, 2013, 03:17:53 AM
I would suggest: copy the wallet.bat to 2 usb keys, delete the original on your pc, encrypt both usb keys. Then store the pw on paper or on another usb key with other passwords say.
Activity: 6
December 23, 2013, 02:55:33 AM
Make an offline wallet, store it in a netbook, flashdrive, old HDD, never connect it to internet, also make sure to back it up.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
December 22, 2013, 08:11:19 PM
I recommend  for you to back up wallet at several places,

but the key is a strong password that you never forget. Unfortunately I forgot the passphrase of my namecoin wallet and now it is useless;(

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
December 22, 2013, 07:01:36 PM
backup ur wallet on flash drive so u can export it to blockchain
or from blockchain to wallet
legendary
December 22, 2013, 04:34:27 PM
@allgoodthings1 Thank u so much for the explanation. From this what I understand, software wallet backup is the best option. But recently I have heard of a virus that, if gets installed to your machine, will transfer your bitcoins to some other address. Then, I guess, my data backup wont be of any use. On the other hand, most our current anti-viruses are not updated with Bitcoin virus definition. So, it remains risky to have Bitcoins in own machine !!!

On another instance I saw in a thread that one person did 2-factor authentication blockchain.info wallet. Now the wallet is not opening with 2-factor authentication !!! So, the person is able to see his coins, but unable to use !!!
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
December 22, 2013, 04:12:28 PM
CoinDream, a paper wallet is not a backup. It doesn't duplicate (make a copy) of the keys in your online (blockchain) or software (QT) wallet. The paper wallet is created by actually transferring the keys (critical information) from the online or sofware wallet onto printed paper. What value you transfer to a paper wallet is no longer on your other wallet(s), until such time as you would transfer it back.

So you can safeguard your holdings by transferring them from other wallets to a paper wallet; but then, they will be unavailable for you to use in your other wallets till you transfer them back. The paper wallet kind sets them aside for safe keeping in a vault or very secure location. If you lose or damage funds stored on a paper wallet, they're lost forever.

Unless you have a substantial amount of btc, you may want to simply backup your QT wallet. Those instructions are readily available. A backup of your QT wallet is a copy, like any other backup file. It's just an emergency saviour if anything happens to your QT wallet. You can just import the backup file into your program, allow it to sync, and you're good as new.

You cannot backup your blockchain wallet. Online wallets are left totally to the protection of your provider. That's generally a good reason to store most of your value in your software wallet (backed up) or paper wallet.
legendary
December 22, 2013, 03:34:08 PM
I have a wallet on blockchain.info and another on my machine using bitcoinQT. For both I have the latest print out. Now if...

1. Somehow I cant log into blockchain.info, then will I be able to use my coins using my paper wallet ?

2. Somehow the data file of my bitcoinQT gets corrupt, then will I be able to use my coins using my paper wallet ?
Pages:
Jump to: