Pages:
Author

Topic: How to secure your Recovery seed or Mnemonic phrase? - page 2. (Read 475 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
~snip~

I wouldn't advise anybody to store their seed in a cloud.

You definitely don't want to have it uploaded anywhere. Not even encrypted.

You never know who gains access to the files.
And you can never know whether there will be a vulnerability found in the software you used to encrypt the file.
This could easily lead to your mnemonic code / seed being exposed to the wrong person.

And you shouldn't trust encrypted archives either.
WinRAR, for example, implemented the encryption itself correctly, but used a 4 bit IV.
Any encrypted archive can be decrypted within a few minutes.

I don't know whether this has been fixed already, but such a huge mistake is just embarrassing.
Activity: 88
Merit: 0
Take a look here.

Never mind you store Seed in a USB stick or write it down somewhere. You still need to hiding this. Storage online should be only one option and is NOT safe. Too much can happen. Hardware crash or the company you rent the online storage is suddenly bankrupt.

This website shows really some secret places I never think about.
Its not my site. I get it after a extensive search in google.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/smart-homeowner/the-ultimate-guide-for-secret-hiding-places-in-your-home/
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 3845
Paldo.io 🤖

This can only work out if you're using an air-gapped device, and if you actually know and are confident with what you're doing. With your typical cryptocurrency investor though? Pen and paper in a locked safe is still the easiest and safest way to go. Encrypted files on air-gapped devices is more for the more experienced.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1596
hmph..
you can store your mnemonic backup to encrypted files like ms. word document, pdf document. Then, you compress files to zip with passwords. you can copy to local disk, offline disk (sd card, flash disk).

and You can add a backup to the secure and trusted cloud storage service. Connect your cloud storage with Boxcryptor or related service. But remember, add security for your Boxcryptor account with 2FA.

with this way, you have multiple layers of security
1. Encrypted document,
2. Encrypted zip,
3. encrypted cloud storage,
4. encrypted cloud storage with Boxcryptor,
5. and secure Boxcryptor with 2FA

DYOR
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
I favour an encrypted folder on multiple micro SD cards in multiple places. I photograph the seed and write it down in txt files before sticking it in the folder. The cards are also renewed on a rotating basis in case one or more fails.

No way would I use something like a cryptosteel or something simply written down in an accessible manner. You never know who's going to uncover it. The days of few people knowing what a seed consists of are drawing to a close.
Activity: 1806
Merit: 671
With these days writing it in paper wouldn't be enough to keep it safe for long, I myself would advice not just writing/printing it down and put it on a random shelf because you will never know when things will be misplaced all of a sudden, that is why I advice you to store it in a special storage like a safe or even a security box from banks so you know its really protected from any kind of theft or misplacement. Also lets not be too literal here not just put it on paper but also protect the paper itself maybe with a folder or laminate the paper yourself.
Activity: 490
Merit: 19
I have a huge thick book that I write all my recovery phase in and I've been using the book since 2018,i have different types of wallet recovery seeds safely written down,i keep my book in a safety lock
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
For start most users will write seed down on paper, but we can see that some people just forget to do that which can be big problem if device is lost or broken, or if desktop wallet is for some reason unavailable.

Paper is good, but it is not resistant to fire or water, and it can be very easily destroyed. There are solutions in form of steel plates in which users can engrave their seed words, and since such plates are very resistant on almost everything, only thing user need to do is to find some safe place to store such backup.

That extra word you mention (passphrase) is just extra security, but users should be very careful with that and not forget to save that word also since this is just extra word, but seed is become worthless without it.

Seed protection should be something for what every user should turn on imagination and be creative. Bad practice is to have only one backup and think that's enough, same as keep such backup/s in places which thieves most often look first.
Activity: 3024
Merit: 680
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
How do you protect your Seed?
I'm using the usual method of keeping the paper that came from ledger on a safe and wet-free place.

And I also duplicated my seed which is very usual to do backups through hand writing.
Activity: 16
Merit: 10
First I will explain what a Seed or a Mnemonic phrase is?

Mnemonic phrase - It is a 12 or 24 letters word which will be generated when you create a wallet. You can store that in a paper, so that it can be used later to recover your funds if the device breaks down or not useful.

The "Passphrase" is an additional password used to secure your mnemonic seed. If your recovery seed is lost or hacked, then you will loose all your funds. In order to protect a seed of your wallet, passphrase is implemented. Even if your seed is stolen, it cannot be lost as it will have an additional feature Passphrase that protects your funds.

There are many wallets that support passphrase feature like Ledger Nano S, Trezor wallet, Exodus, Coinomi etc.

If a passphrase protection is disabled on your wallet, you can enable passphrase protection on your device. Unlock your device and check "Advanced" tab and you can enable passphrase there. A new wallet will be created inside your wallet, it will be like a hidden wallet inside your wallet.

Hope this will help the newbies or those who have not enabled this feature on their device.

Also, I would like to know which wallet are you using? Do you have this feature on your device? Or
How do you protect your Seed?
Pages:
Jump to: