Pages:
Author

Topic: HOW TO SET UP OVERCLOCKING AND FAN CONTROL ON UBUNTU 16.04 FOR NVIDIA CARDS - page 5. (Read 54990 times)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0
thanks for the guide, is it also possible to set a powerlimit?
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1004
How do you set this for multiple GPU's you put that I need to set the .sh file for each GPU? But it doesn't specifiy what to add to each .sh file in oreder for it to execute on each GPU? What am I missing?

Create multiple files and just change GPU0 to GPU1 and so on.
Activity: 1
How do you set this for multiple GPU's you put that I need to set the .sh file for each GPU? But it doesn't specifiy what to add to each .sh file in oreder for it to execute on each GPU? What am I missing?
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
Did you mean 17.04 ? Ubuntu site can't have link to 17.10. Only 17.04

PCH option under the PCI-Express speed works on PCI-E X16 slot 0. But I am using PCI-E X1 slot 2,3.
Does it change anything?

Yeah, 17.04LTS.

You need to set all the slots to Gen 1 or Gen 2, whichever one works. Otherwise, you'll get weird Nvidia display errors.

For example:  Asus Prime H270 Plus - when it is not set to Gen 1 - on either Gen 2 or Gen 3 you get display errors, before the log in page.

And, only 2 cards are recognised - even though motherboard support is for 4 GPUs on PCI-E 1X.

Hey! Do you have any clues how to make my Asus Z270-P Motherboard recognize 5 or more GPU-s. I can do 4 but not more Sad i am desperate. Not sure what to do. I use ubuntu 16.04 downloaded from ubuntu site. Desktop version

Have Bios version 0609.

Find DMI/OPI Configuration and change to Gen 1

Find PEG Port Configuration and change to Gen 1

Then after installing drivers on  Ubuntu Nvidia drivers go back into bios and find Above 4G Decoding and change it to Enabled

I see you say install the drivers then go back and enable Above 4G encoding. What about if you're using a prebuilt OS with drivers already loaded like pimpOS?

Try it! It takes less than 1 hour to install a Linux OS.

It's just to avoid getting a no display event (black screen) when you don't have drivers installed.

Yep I've been trying everything but can't seem to get past a black screen with 4G enabled on the prebuilt OS I'm using. Was just asking since you mentioned drivers first then enable 4G decoding. Thanks for outlining what you did to get this to work. I've been using xorg.conf to enable overclocking, so interested in giving this a shot and comparing the two methods.

Thanks and have a good one!
legendary

PCH option under the PCI-Express speed works on PCI-E X16 slot 0. But I am using PCI-E X1 slot 2,3.
Does it change anything?

Yeah, 17.04LTS.

You need to set all the slots to Gen 1 or Gen 2, whichever one works. Otherwise, you'll get weird Nvidia display errors.

For example:  Asus Prime H270 Plus - when it is not set to Gen 1 - on either Gen 2 or Gen 3 you get display errors, before the log in page.

And, only 2 cards are recognised - even though motherboard support is for 4 GPUs on PCI-E 1X.

Hey! Do you have any clues how to make my Asus Z270-P Motherboard recognize 5 or more GPU-s. I can do 4 but not more Sad i am desperate. Not sure what to do. I use ubuntu 16.04 downloaded from ubuntu site. Desktop version

Have Bios version 0609.

Then after installing drivers on  Ubuntu Nvidia drivers go back into bios and find Above 4G Decoding and change it to Enabled

I see you say install the drivers then go back and enable Above 4G encoding. What about if you're using a prebuilt OS with drivers already loaded like pimpOS?

Try it! It takes less than 1 hour to install a Linux OS.

It's just to avoid getting a no display event (black screen) when you don't have drivers installed.
Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Does it change anything?

Yeah, 17.04LTS.

Have Bios version 0609.

Then after installing drivers on  Ubuntu Nvidia drivers go back into bios and find Above 4G Decoding and change it to Enabled

legendary

Does it change anything?

Yeah, 17.04LTS.

Have Bios version 0609.

Then after installing drivers on  Ubuntu Nvidia drivers go back into bios and find Above 4G Decoding and change it to Enabled

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

Does it change anything?

Yeah, 17.04LTS.

For example:  Asus Prime H270 Plus - when it is not set to Gen 1 - on either Gen 2 or Gen 3 you get display errors, before the log in page.

legendary
Hey!

Thanks for guide. I mannaged to set all my 4 GPUs to be able to get overclocked, and to adjust fan speed.

But i have problem again like a guy before, but we didnt got clear answer.

When my miner starts (Claymoore dual miner) all my GPU-s go back to Level 2 performance. If they were on LV 3 their clock would be higher, their "base" clock. For example my card have 8000 memory clock when i add 400 to mem clock on level 2, on level 3 it would hav 8.4k and so on. Feels like i am not using my cards full potential.

How can i unlock LV 3 so they mine on that level.

Cheers!

I use ubuntu 16.04

Level 2 is automatic for Compute workloads as specified by Nvidia. Only gaming workloads will run at the higher memory clock automatically (Level 3).

It's just the memory, that down-clocks - the originally release (last year) had heat issues running Micron memory ICs.

This was fixed with bios update earlier this year, but the Compute memory down-clock has not been changed, because lot's of people have not updated their bios. LOL

Ahh ok. I see. So it's not possible yet to get to level 3.

Are there any other Linux tweaks possible to get higher speeds beside just slaming OC numbers? I run my MSI at +1400 from 2000 on memory clock. It's stable and not overheating, at around 40 celsius at 60% fan.

I am wondering can i get full potential from all these GTX i have and plan to buy?

Overclocking is pretty much based on using the card less, other than 24/7 for many years.

Say gaming - person plays games 4 hours a day - so overclocking will degrade the GPU, but because the card is not under full load 24/7, the GPU will last well over the warranty period.

I'm not overclocking myself (don't need too, when you mine for accumulation) - so, perhaps consult some threads from last year and see what the lifespan is on overclocked Nvidia GPUs.

Back in the day - AMD GPUs kept releasing new architectures every 1 year or so! And, those old releases, like Hawaii were really over the over necessary specification to have a low warranty events. So, those GPUs tended to last, even with 16% overclocks.

But, the current GPUs are all on 2 years architectures, so they will not be like those architectures.

Try this Nvidia thread, which has a lot of people overclocking their GPUs:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=826901.0;topicseen
Hey!

Thanks for guide. I mannaged to set all my 4 GPUs to be able to get overclocked, and to adjust fan speed.

When my miner starts (Claymoore dual miner) all my GPU-s go back to Level 2 performance. If they were on LV 3 their clock would be higher, their "base" clock. For example my card have 8000 memory clock when i add 400 to mem clock on level 2, on level 3 it would hav 8.4k and so on. Feels like i am not using my cards full potential.

Cheers!

I use ubuntu 16.04

Level 2 is automatic for Compute workloads as specified by Nvidia. Only gaming workloads will run at the higher memory clock automatically (Level 3).

It's just the memory, that down-clocks - the originally release (last year) had heat issues running Micron memory ICs.

This was fixed with bios update earlier this year, but the Compute memory down-clock has not been changed, because lot's of people have not updated their bios. LOL

Ahh ok. I see. So it's not possible yet to get to level 3.

Are there any other Linux tweaks possible to get higher speeds beside just slaming OC numbers? I run my MSI at +1400 from 2000 on memory clock. It's stable and not overheating, at around 40 celsius at 60% fan.

I am wondering can i get full potential from all these GTX i have and plan to buy?
legendary
Hey!

Cheers!

I use ubuntu 16.04

I tried one more time.  Tried your oc.sh - the same errors.
I can't set clock or fan speed. The same errors.
Via Nvidia X Server Settings I also can't to set clocks or fans speed. Just read, or set PowerMizer profile. Is it ok?
Maybe special configuration of MB bios? Maybe I must disable internal GPU and use NVIDIA?
I tried to view available clocks via nvidia-smi and see that it is N/A. Is it normal?
I am using MSI GTX1070 8G Gaming X. Maybe I need to flash some "unlocked bios" to change clocks?

I use 3x Asus Dual X 8GB OC version gtx 1070 and MSI 1070gtx gaming X

My all cards work and i can OC them. I can put memory offsets and core offsets. I have ubuntu 16.04

It all worked after i did 4 lines of code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install nvidia-370 nvidia-cuda-toolkit
sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=31 --allow-empty-initial-configuration

Altough i eventualy added newer drivers for nvidia and did some updates, but it worked like this also.
Hey!

Cheers!

I use ubuntu 16.04
legendary

Does it change anything?

Yeah, 17.04LTS.

For example:  Asus Prime H270 Plus - when it is not set to Gen 1 - on either Gen 2 or Gen 3 you get display errors, before the log in page.

Activity: 13

Does it change anything?
legendary
I did not try 17.10. I will try Ubuntu 17.10.
I have mb Asus Z-270-P, cpu intel celeron G4500, 4gb RAM, now i have two GPUs MSI GTX1070 Gaming X, but I am planing to use 8. Or 6.
Any suggestions?

Your chipset is very new, even though CPU is from the previous generation. Ubuntu 17.10, with the newer 4.10 kernel should be more compatible.

Remember to update the bio as well.

Afterwards, go into bios, find the PCH option under the PCI-Express speed, change it from AUTO to Gen 1 or Gen 2.

I've got 3  versions of Ubuntu 16.04LTS, with different Kernels - some work and some don't.
I did not try 17.10. I will try Ubuntu 17.10.
I have mb Asus Z-270-P, cpu intel celeron G4500, 4gb RAM, now i have two GPUs MSI GTX1070 Gaming X, but I am planing to use 8. Or 6.
Any suggestions?
legendary
Via Nvidia X Server Settings I also can't to set clocks or fans speed. Just read, or set PowerMizer profile. Is it ok?
Maybe special configuration of MB bios? Maybe I must disable internal GPU and use NVIDIA?
I tried to view available clocks via nvidia-smi and see that it is N/A. Is it normal?
I am using MSI GTX1070 8G Gaming X. Maybe I need to flash some "unlocked bios" to change clocks?

Have many GPU's?

What Processor and chipset?

Have you tried Ubuntu 17.10LTS - is using Kernel 4.10 - may have better compatibility with newer hardware.
legendary
Thanks a lot for answer.
Do i need to install cuda8 or it is already instaleted with Additional Drivers or OS ?
I can use oveclock and fan control using nvidia-settings, right?

I did all you said.
When I try to start nvidia_gpus_oc.sh
#!/bin/bash
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=100'
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1'
nvidia-settings -a '[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80'

I get errors:
ERROR: Error parsing assignment '[gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'
       (Unrecognized attribute name).
ERROR: Error assigning value 80 to attribute 'GPUTargetFanSpeed'
       (Rig02:0[fan:0]) as specified in assignment
       '[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80' (Unknown Error).

Then I tryed to change fan:0 to gpu:0, and have no second error. But fan didn't start.

When I add same commands for gpu1 I have one more error ofr gpu1
ERROR: Error parsing assignment '[gpu:1]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'
       (Unrecognized attribute name).

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

ERROR: Error assigning value 80 to attribute 'GPUTargetFanSpeed'
       (Rig02:0[fan:1]) as specified in assignment
       '[fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80' (Unknown Error).

What is wrong now?

You don't need to install Cuda8 - already in the drivers.

You can set the fan one by one: Go to Nvidia X Server Settings and tick enable GPU Fan Settings and slide the bar to the desired speed and apply.

Here is downloadable working .sh file for you to check against, sorry about the adverts on this site and the link is only valid for 30 days:

https://ufile.io/miuj2

Finally, you may have custom fan controls made by your board partner, which is incompatible with X Server Settings - so cannot be set via .sh
Pages:
Jump to: