Pages:
Author

Topic: How to start S9 fans before the actual controller / boards (humid environment) - page 2. (Read 1413 times)

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538
I'm in BTC XTC
Well the easy way is you disconnect the power and i/o cables to the hash boards, power up the controller which powers the fans. The fans will run, though slowly since the temp sensors will show nothing, and run like that until you're confident you can power up the hash boards. Once you feel enough time has elapsed, power down. Reconnect the power and i/o to the hash boards and crank them back up.
What's that? You got more than a handful of miners?? And this may happen at any random time??  Cheesy
Don't know about that, still think way inside your container and inside the miners themselves there won't be any condensation of concern when powering up after any long down time. I'd think most moisture would be on outside surfaces, both container and miners.
But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.  Smiley
Activity: 236
Merit: 105
How do the internals of your miners get below the dew point of the air they're in? Might not be a scenario that's actually possible.

Because they are not housed in a conditioned building, they are housed in a shipping container open to the elements.

I take it the miners are sitting directly in front of the cold air vents feeding the area as spot cooling? I've seen a lot of rather horrid industrial shop-floor environments at that is the only way I've see it happen to power equipment that has been powered down for a while... Partly for this reason you never ever want to duct cold air directly onto/into power electronics.

IF that is the case either move them or deflect the airflow around them as pre-heating or running the fans does not address the root problem.

There is no ducting directly into the miners, but see response above to VRobb. When the mine is running, there won't be any issues. My main concern is when it is shut down (it will periodically be shut down, more frequently than a typical mining farm) the entire container and mine will cool. Once cooled dew and condensation will occur. I do have a back-up heater in place, but, there will also be times when it too doesn't have power.

So any idea's on how to rig up the miners so the fans can turn on first, as per my OP?

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 2656
Evil beware: We have waffles!
I take it the miners are sitting directly in front of the cold air vents feeding the area as spot cooling? I've seen a lot of rather horrid industrial shop-floor environments at that is the only way I've see it happen to power equipment that has been powered down for a while... Partly for this reason you never ever want to duct cold air directly onto/into power electronics.

IF that is the case either move them or deflect the airflow around them as pre-heating or running the fans does not address the root problem.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 538
I'm in BTC XTC
How do the internals of your miners get below the dew point of the air they're in? Might not be a scenario that's actually possible.
Activity: 236
Merit: 105
Lets say I have 20 or so S9's on a rack, and the internals have collected condensation due to sitting idle in a cool, humid environment.

Don't worry about why...  Kiss

What is the easiest way I can rig up each S9 such that the fans start up prior to actually starting the controller and boards? Could I add some kind of relay or something?

I have a situation where there's nothing I can do to prevent condensation on the internals, as the miners will periodically shut down and they are located in a humid environment. If I can just first power the fans for a bit (before the miner itself fire up), I'm thinking the airflow will dry up the internals pretty quick and avoid a possible short-circuit. Using an external controller, I can then switch on the circuits to start up the miners once they are dry.

Any idea's?

Pages:
Jump to: