Pages:
Author

Topic: How to steal Satoshi's stash? - page 4. (Read 12779 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
March 12, 2014, 05:48:47 PM
I've worked in the computer industry for several decades. Everybody in this industry knows that Moore's Law is an observation of a trend, not a fundamental guarantee of future performance.

Well said.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Village Idiot
March 12, 2014, 05:43:46 PM
I have a Bachelor degree in fundamental physics, a Master degree in Mechanical Engineering, a European Masters in Management and Business Strategy and also preparing a PhD

And yet you're still an idiot. Further proof that education doesn't make you smart.

I've worked in the computer industry for several decades. Everybody in this industry knows that Moore's Law is an observation of a trend, not a fundamental guarantee of future performance. And everyone knows that the constraints of physics (which you yourself claim to hold a degree in) will put a halt to that trend.

But I'm not going to try to convince you of these fundamental truths, or try to explain the math to you. Trying to educate educated idiots is a provably obvious waste of time. I'm just going to point out what a stupid fuckwit you are and be done with it.

Oh, but I will give you a tip: smart people know how to recognize people smarter than themselves. This is a critical differentiator between idiots and smart people.
legendary
March 12, 2014, 05:31:56 PM
I have a Bachelor degree in fundamental physics, a Master degree in Mechanical Engineering, a European Masters in Management and Business Strategy and also preparing a PhD

Someone as smart and educated as yourself should be the first to acknowledge that
there are limitations inherent in the physical universe in which we live.

Saying we're eventually going to get to 10^70 flops seems like an insane comment
that denies such a truth.
Activity: 588
Merit: 501
March 12, 2014, 04:55:43 PM
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
BTC --> ??? --> PROFIT
Activity: 98
Village Idiot
March 12, 2014, 04:04:11 PM
Yeah lol, people do that mistake alot when extrapolating, but when you have 5-6 decades of data I believe it is safe to make an extention to the next decade or two, considering, that we've already know what's coming up in the next few year (example 2014, Intel moving to 14nm, and the other Fonderies to 20nm and under when it comes to CPU (production has already started), 2016 10nm with prototypes already existing in Intels labs for example and being tuned for production, everything Graphen related and nanotubes is already in labs all over the world being tested, enhanced and more importantly, starting to get an industrial orientation (production unites, process, and what's not) as for Quantum computing we are already doing the first baby steps in this area, commercial availability to develop software and firmware and alghorithms....

The only thing more annoying than idiots are idiots that think they're smart.

You, sir, are an idiot. No amount of technobabble (that you no doubt read somewhere on Gizmodo) is going to convince the actually smart people in the room that you have any idea what you're talking about. Best thing to do at this point is just to shut the fuck up, lest you look any stupider than you already do.

You're welcome.
legendary
March 12, 2014, 04:03:50 PM
One Does Not Simply Steal Satoshi's Stash.

Post the meme image please
Activity: 119
March 12, 2014, 03:27:49 PM
Anyone is better off solo mining and hoping to find 10 000 blocks in a row than to crack priv keys.
Activity: 100
March 12, 2014, 02:48:16 PM
You have all missed the obvious:  invent a time machine and go back to 2009, intercept Satoshi's usb drive containing private keys after he mines the genesis blocks, and then steal his Danish butter cookies.  Grin
Or you can travel to the future where quantum computers work and bitcoin became obsolute because of that, compute his private key, return to original time and move all the funds.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
March 12, 2014, 02:36:26 PM
One Does Not Simply Steal Satoshi's Stash.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
March 12, 2014, 02:01:51 PM
Yeah lol, people do that mistake alot when extrapolating, but when you have 5-6 decades of data I believe it is safe to make an extention to the next decade or two

Go ahead. Extrapolate a decade or two. In fact, go ahead and extrapolate to the theoretically limits of the perfect computer harnessing the entire energy of the sun. You still can't even count to 2^256, let alone do the calcuations to brute force a Bitcoin private key. Re-read the graphic in post #2.
Activity: 588
Merit: 501
March 11, 2014, 09:36:23 AM
Wait what? did you even read beyond that point? you are partially quoting to prove that you are right is that what you trying to do here? I repeat my self todays computing power 10^15+ so theoritically if classical computing keeps going forward at the same pace it's advanced with since the 60s we will be looking at 10^30 10^40 Flops in the next decade or two which is enough to crack 128bits in a few seconds and we will move on to 10^70 Flops and beyond in another decade or two from there, that is without taking into consideration anything else! which not even remotly true

Obligitory XKCD:

Yeah lol, people do that mistake alot when extrapolating, but when you have 5-6 decades of data I believe it is safe to make an extention to the next decade or two, considering, that we've already know what's coming up in the next few year (example 2014, Intel moving to 14nm, and the other Fonderies to 20nm and under when it comes to CPU (production has already started), 2016 10nm with prototypes already existing in Intels labs for example and being tuned for production, everything Graphen related and nanotubes is already in labs all over the world being tested, enhanced and more importantly, starting to get an industrial orientation (production unites, process, and what's not) as for Quantum computing we are already doing the first baby steps in this area, commercial availability to develop software and firmware and alghorithms....
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015
March 11, 2014, 07:26:02 AM
This will just be another thing bitcoin flops on. It's already happened a few times. Everyone says bitcoin is rock solid bullet proof then the next thing ya know the chain is forked and shit is going to hell!

Then transactions are being reversed from gambling sites because a pool has too high % of the network.

Then transactions are being altered so people can rob exchanges all over the place!

Before ya know it there will be some shit with the SHA too. This whole it takes more energy to crack it then exists in the universe or whatever the fuck they are trying to say just ain't gonna fly. I bet Karpales made that picture.

Perhaps crypocurrencies aren't your thing then. Maybe play a different game.
Activity: 280
Knowledge is Power
March 11, 2014, 12:58:48 AM

US government ideology.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
March 11, 2014, 12:32:00 AM
You have all missed the obvious:  invent a time machine and go back to 2009, intercept Satoshi's usb drive containing private keys after he mines the genesis blocks, and then steal his Danish butter cookies.  Grin
legendary
March 10, 2014, 11:35:27 PM
Is it possible that a backdoor key exists?
If a backdoor exists then you could simply compute the private key given the public key and the backdoor key. Grin

I think it's possible, but how likely I don't know.  Seems unlikely because cryptography experts would have probably tuned the larger bitcoin community into the risk of that, and there would be more chatter of developing alternate hashing algorithms.  

If there is a backdoor it's a closely guarded secret that no one has seen any evidence of.
Activity: 378
March 10, 2014, 11:17:15 PM
Is it possible that a backdoor key exists?
If a backdoor exists then you could simply compute the private key given the public key and the backdoor key. Grin

legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
March 10, 2014, 11:04:11 PM
Wait what? did you even read beyond that point? you are partially quoting to prove that you are right is that what you trying to do here? I repeat my self todays computing power 10^15+ so theoritically if classical computing keeps going forward at the same pace it's advanced with since the 60s we will be looking at 10^30 10^40 Flops in the next decade or two which is enough to crack 128bits in a few seconds and we will move on to 10^70 Flops and beyond in another decade or two from there, that is without taking into consideration anything else! which not even remotly true

Obligitory XKCD:

Activity: 220
Merit: 100
March 10, 2014, 11:01:41 PM
This will just be another thing bitcoin flops on. It's already happened a few times. Everyone says bitcoin is rock solid bullet proof then the next thing ya know the chain is forked and shit is going to hell!

Then transactions are being reversed from gambling sites because a pool has too high % of the network.

Then transactions are being altered so people can rob exchanges all over the place!

Before ya know it there will be some shit with the SHA too. This whole it takes more energy to crack it then exists in the universe or whatever the fuck they are trying to say just ain't gonna fly. I bet Karpales made that picture.
Pages:
Jump to: