Pages:
Author

Topic: How to verify a URL of a website - page 2. (Read 254 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 591
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
October 13, 2023, 11:10:27 AM

If you somehow click on a malicious URL, either by mistake of knowingly, don't panic. In the process of trying to copy the URL to verify you may mistakenly click it, if you do
*Do not enter any data
*Don't click on anything on the site
*Disconnect from the Internet
*Do a full scan of your device using a trusted and authentic antivirus software
*Keep and eye on your account for any irregularities. 

Which antivirus will you prefer for malware? I used Avast,node32 and Avira some years ago but all these antivirus delete my necessary files and also hang my PC, so I uninstalled and never used again so far.
If we doesn't click on any site nor delete then still possibility of any malware attack?

Bonus Tip:
Don't use one or two passwords for multiple accounts. If you do that, once cyber criminals get hold of one password, they have access to all or multiple of your accounts.
If possible, every account should have its own password.

Oh, I am using only only two password, using strong and totally different password for Binance because my 90% fund are there which i used for trading while using one password for all other platforms. I think if any hacker got access, he will get nothing but I believe no hacker will access because new sign-in from change IP need email verification and all my email password is totally different.
Activity: 476
Merit: 283
October 13, 2023, 10:54:20 AM
Maybe there are ways we can successfully avoid phishing emails and links 100%, if there are, I do not know any, but we can verify if the link sent to us is genuine or not.

We all know that THE SITE MUST USE HTTPS.
Emphasis on the "S"
This should be common knowledge.
A site that uses HTTP doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam site, but it most definitely means a site like that is more likely to be compromised.
You might as well just hand over your data to a cybercriminal if you input your data into these kinds of sites.

Tools to use

Use Link Checker Tools.
A link checker tool helps verify if the link is safe or not.
  Google transparency report is a popular link checker. It's easy and fast. Just copy the URL you want to verify the search.

This image clearly shows that there is no unsafe content found on the URL I used "Bitcointalk".

A relatively more advanced link checker tool is URLVOID. This shows what different tools have to say about that website.

URLVoid tels the date of registration and the IP address and also on how many tools has that site been detected as unsafe.

This image shows that this website has been detected by one tool as a malicious link. The higher the detection counts, the higher it's unsafe.

Verify the ownership and how old the site is.
Tools like WHOIS searchhelp you know when the site was registered. A lot of scam sites are relatively new and they may not appear as malicious on URL checker.

Backline Analysis tools.
This is a URL that can take you to a website from another website.
A fake or scam website won't feature on many other websites while the reverse is the case for an authentic site.
Ahrefs site checker is a tool that can be used to check a website's backline profile.

No way a scam website has this many backlines and linking websites.

If you want to read more you can go HERE

If you somehow click on a malicious URL, either by mistake or knowingly, don't panic. In the process of trying to copy the URL to verify you may mistakenly click it, these are a few tips from keeper security
*Do not enter any data
*Don't click on anything on the site
*Disconnect from the Internet
*Do a full scan of your device using a trusted and authentic antivirus software
*Keep an eye on your account for any irregularities.

Bonus Tip:
Don't use one or two passwords for multiple accounts. If you do that, once cybercriminals get hold of one password, they have access to all or multiple of your accounts.
If possible, every account should have its password.
Pages:
Jump to: