Pages:
Author

Topic: How useful is Backup against Ransomware - page 2. (Read 412 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
August 24, 2018, 01:49:12 PM
[...]
[...] Most nodes don't relay double spends and they simply ignore any subsequent transactions [...]

I thought they were configured to dump the transaction with the lower fee, is that not the case any more?

I can confirm that most nodes do only relay the first transaction they have received, regardless of the fee paid.

But unfortunately i can't tell, whether there was a change to achieve this. I thought it always has been like this.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
August 24, 2018, 01:41:42 PM
If someone was using malware and decided to pay everything to themselves, I'd run a separate transaction to compete with the fee that they set, if they retaliate then I'd put everything into the transaction fee and send them nothing and then I at least have the knowledge that my coins went to maintaining the bitcoin network rather than falling into the hands of a scammer.
Isn't as simple. If they don't flag opt-in RBF, whoever is the fastest in spending the outputs gets the coin. Most nodes don't relay double spends and they simply ignore any subsequent transactions. You can obviously request miners to not include it but it would take way too long. Also doubt that you would realise that your coins are stolen before it confirms.

I thought they were configured to dump the transaction with the lower fee, is that not the case any more?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
August 24, 2018, 01:28:59 PM
Any better security practices against Ransomware ?

Simple answer: No.

Periodic backups are actually the best protection mechanism against ransomware.

Once you are hit by a ransomware you basically have 3 options:
1) You pay the ransom and have to hope that you'll get the decryption key and/or the files have not been deleted (No guarantee of getting your data back).
2) You do not pay the ransom and wait that some engineers will find an encryption tool (works with flaws in the ransomware, no guarantee of getting your data back).
3) You do not pay and simply copy over your backup. This takes you a few hours at most, but will give you all of your data back (at least most of it, depending on the last backup).

The only real option (where you surely get your data back) is to have backups. All other options either rely on someone else reverse engineering it or the attacker to be 'trustful'.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 24, 2018, 01:06:34 PM
If someone was using malware and decided to pay everything to themselves, I'd run a separate transaction to compete with the fee that they set, if they retaliate then I'd put everything into the transaction fee and send them nothing and then I at least have the knowledge that my coins went to maintaining the bitcoin network rather than falling into the hands of a scammer.
Isn't as simple. If they don't flag opt-in RBF, whoever is the fastest in spending the outputs gets the coin. Most nodes don't relay double spends and they simply ignore any subsequent transactions. You can obviously request miners to not include it but it would take way too long. Also doubt that you would realise that your coins are stolen before it confirms.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
August 24, 2018, 12:42:19 PM
If you have a good password and have written down your seed/printed out your private keys then you can easily get everything back from there providing they haven't a confirmed transaction with it.

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 24, 2018, 12:05:37 PM
I'll be surprised if the ransomware didn't include something which sweeps Bitcoin wallets, considering that they accept Bitcoin payments afterall.

Backups aren't really going to save anything other than your wallets. If you are someone who at least is good at managing their crypto assets, then your wallet shouldn't be your biggest concern; just keep them offline like I do. Avoiding ransomware is the same as avoiding any other malware; practicing good security, antivirus, regular updates etc.
copper member
Activity: 1442
Merit: 529
August 24, 2018, 11:45:38 AM
What are your practices to ensure a safe data keeping including all of your wallets (not talking about normal malware which can redirect your copy paste BTC address to another one) but I am talking in a situation where all your data is locked from a Ransomware. In case you did a backup every week of the entire image disk, the only thing you would lose is a week of data. Of course keep the image recovery in an external hard drive.

Any better security practices against Ransomware ?
Pages:
Jump to: