Pages:
Author

Topic: How will ASIC miners match up against coinlab if they sign some top MMOGs? - page 2. (Read 2982 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Quote from: Vladimir
100 times more efficient hardware.

That is one of the variables, how much more efficient asic will be. If it's only an 100 to 1 advantage for ASIC miners, seems to me like that would be great for coinlab, since they have no hardware or electrical costs and could end up simply paying the MMOGs a percentage.
Thank for the response. My question relates specifically to coinlab.com... their model is not GPU mining itself, as far as I understand, it is essentially to pay MMOGs for the spare GPU time of their (non-paying) customers. Electrical and hardware costs don't really come in to this equation, I suppose the real variable we are missing right now is the market value for that commodity; spare GPU time from MMOG players. I have very little information on that subject... if they already have a revenue stream for that GPU power, it may not be worth it for them to partner with coinlab. However, if it's true that the MMOG only profit from the 10% of players who are "whales" and spend money in game, and they aren't currently monetizing the majority of their players... it stands to reason that coinlab may be able to negotiate deals with these companies.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
Gamers will need to have not only GPU's but BPU (Bitcoin Processing Unit) too. Please realize that upcoming ASIC tech is by 2 !!! orders of magnitude more power efficient than GPU's. This means that GPU's will not make enough bitcoins to cover electricity costs. It is not so much about cost of hardware as about costs of electricity.

A quick illustration for you. A typical household electric circuitry cannot handle more than 20-30 Ghps worth of GPU mining rigs. While this is something a relatively tiny and low powered ASIC miner can handle. GPU is about to get outclassed by 100 times more efficient hardware.

There is no future for GPU mining, whether it is dressed in gaming closes or not.

This is a bit of a random thought that has come up while I've been researching ASIC and CPU mining... I'm hoping that someone a lot smarter than me can quickly figure this out so I don't have to waste nine months on calc. Or perhaps this has already been discussed and my attempted searches just missed it.

Let's assume for the purpose of this thought experiment that Coinlab keeps the vast majority of its GPU power concentrated on mining BTC for at least the next couple years... and that all the ASICs get delivered as promised and perform as estimated.

What would happen if coinlab signed a bunch of large MMOGs, or say one or two of the top ones? They have billions of playing hours a month... I don't know what the number of playing hours vs the number of hours that are allocated to coinlab mining looks like, but under any estimates it looks like they do have a lot of potential there, with those millions of beafy GPU cards and no hardware costs.

I suppose the easiest way to frame this question is... how many total GPU mining hours would coinlab have to control to compete with the TOTAL amount of ASIC power that will be live within the next six months? How much of the MMOG market would coinlab have to corner to get those kinds of hours?

Come to think of it, what kind of hash rate could coinlab see if they blow up to a degree no one predicted, and sign WoW and league of legends or other top MMOG like that? I apologize if this has been calculated already, but believe me I have searched.
Pages:
Jump to: