Pages:
Author

Topic: How would it be know if a segwit thieft actually happened? - page 2. (Read 677 times)

copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 2610
If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!
Most likely you already know about the theory of the colliding miners planning a 51% attack to steal funds of transactions sitting on segwit addresses.

That’s not a “theory”.  It is a disturbingly pernicious and persistent urban legend about Segwit, predicated on a common misconception about the role of miners.  Miners have one, only one, and exactly one job:  To provide the ordering of transactions in a Byzantine fault-tolerant manner (which in turn prevents double-spends).  That’s what miners do.  That is all miners do.  Granted, it is an important and resource-intensive job; that’s why miners get paid for it.  But that is the one and only security function of miners.

Of course, miners must validate each block they produce; if they didn’t, they would be unable to reliably produce valid blocks.  But miners are not the parties responsible for enforcing validation on the network.  Full nodes do that.  Each individual full node does that, so as to provide better security for its owner; and all full nodes collectively do that, thus providing validation security for the whole network.  Observe how here as everywhere, Bitcoin precisely aligns the individual’s selfish interest with the common good.

Full nodes do not blindly “follow the longest chain”.  They follow the chain independently validated by them which has the highest total POW.  A miner (or 51+% of miners) who produced invalid blocks would only be wasting hashrate, and likely risking widespread blacklisting of IP addresses.  It doesn’t matter if the invalid blocks steal money from Segwit transactions, steal money from old-style transactions, create 21 billion new coins, or are filled with gibberish from /dev/random.  An invalid block is an invalid block, and shall be promptly discarded by all full nodes—period.

In the event that it actually happened, would there be any way to prove it, or it would be seen just as a regularly sent transaction?

That begs the question:  It can’t actually happen.  Segwit transactions require signatures, just like old-style transactions.  Segwit transactions have security greater than or equal to old-style transactions in each and every characteristic.  If a miner could somehow steal Segwit funds with a 51% attack, then the same attack could be used against all bitcoins, including Satoshi’s coins.  But such an attack is impossible; the whole idea is ridiculous, just nonsense peddled by Btrash supporters so that

Jihan and co

can smear the Segwit upgrade.  And why do they hate Segwit?  Because the Segwit upgrade stops

Jihan and co

from covertly exploiting a security vulnerability which gives an unfair advantage of up to 30% in the energy costs of mining.  Of course, they will hate Segwit; and their cronies and shills lie about Segwit.  Give them no credence.

DannyHamilton is correct on all points here.  I just have a few things to add or expand upon.

I think OP is alluring to the anyone-can-spend "vulnerability" that has been a talking point against the SegWit softfork for a while. What usually got ignored during this discourse was that "exploiting" this attribute of SegWit transactions would require a hardfork, basically rolling back BTC's SegWit upgrade and creating a shittier version of BCH.

I always wonder why nobody stops to notice that the same “attack” based on the “anyone-can-spend” notion could be used against all P2SH transactions.  Oh no, Btrash is also vulnerable!

miners have complete power

WRONG.

Miners are the ones who control the network

WRONG.

I am sometimes amazed at the confident airs put on people who make authoritative-sounding declarations of totally incorrect information.

As i know, witness data contains signature. So, miners could do that without private key if i understood it right.
Here is good topic about it - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/segwit-and-spv-mining-what-if-1434842

Interesting link.  Did you read past the OP?  Try the second post, to which I just awarded merit:

Is the following scenario valid?

1. Some unhonest segwit mining pool takes top-1000 segwit utxo and mines a block at height N with a transaction which transfers all funds to his p2pkh address
2. This block does not have segwit data portion, but it can be broadcasted to all non-segwit nodes on the network
3. All other pools have a dilema - wait the segwit data associated with this block or start mining block N+1 on the top of N
4. What if miners will use SPV-mining on the top of this block? They will create blocks at heights N+1, N+2... etc without checking the segwit-validity of block N

No different than the situation today with "spend all the coins in the first 10000 blocks, without knowing the private key; and hope that miners extend the chain without having or checking the block. The segwit data is not sent separately.

In either case the corrupt chain would be simply reorged out after miners hit their limit of mining without data or otherwise some process realizes they are mining a chain the network is rejecting. Non-validating clients would be exposed to the reorganization, ones that are validating would not be.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615
As i know, witness data contains signature. So, miners could do that without private key if i understood it right.

There is no witness data until you spend the bitcoins.  The miners would need to create the witness data if they want to steal the bitcoins.  Since they don't have the private key, it is not possible for them to create valid witness data.

As indicated by the link YOU provided:

Non-validating clients would be exposed to the reorganization, ones that are validating would not be.

You also are encouraged to take your sig ad spam nonsense elsewhere. It is not welcome in the Technical areas of this forum.
Activity: 377
Merit: 282
Finis coronat opus
Since the miners don't have the correct private key, they will be unable to provide the correct signature for the transaction that they use to "steal the funds".  Therefore, everyone else on the network will reject their invalid block which contains the invalid transaction.  They will have wasted their time and money and they will have accomplished nothing.

Here is good topic about it - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/segwit-and-spv-mining-what-if-1434842
legendary
- a whole lot of nonsense from a sig ad that doesn't know what they are talking about -

No.

Just no.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Please take your sig ad spam elsewhere. It is not welcome in the Technical areas of this forum.
Activity: 238
Merit: 38
But while legacy (ie. non-SegWit) nodes would accept such a transaction, the majority of the network -- and thus the canonical BTC blockchain -- would reject it.

Most importantly (to me), MY NODE will reject it.  It won't matter how much hash power they have.  They could mine 99% of the blocks, and my node will still reject it because it will STILL be an invalid block with an invalid transaction.

The only people that will be effected will be those foolish enough to still be running a non-segwit enabled wallet on the SegWit network.

It doesn't matter if your node will reject it, I think that you forgot that miners have complete power and if you are not mining there is not much you can do. Miners are the ones who control the network I mean we should say mining pools as mining solo is not what we want. Anyway I think if this happens however we will see that BTC price will dump since people will not have faith in it due to mining pools living to their own terms and thus it would drastically decrease profit from miners.

The real question here is are they really ready to go that far to hurt BTC in a way where they will lose potential profit? I think not.
legendary
But while legacy (ie. non-SegWit) nodes would accept such a transaction, the majority of the network -- and thus the canonical BTC blockchain -- would reject it.

Most importantly (to me), MY NODE will reject it.  It won't matter how much hash power they have.  They could mine 99% of the blocks, and my node will still reject it because it will STILL be an invalid block with an invalid transaction.

The only people that will be effected will be those foolish enough to still be running a non-segwit enabled wallet on the SegWit network.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 2066
Cashback 15%
Most likely you already know about the theory of the colliding miners planning a 51% attack to steal funds of transactions sitting on segwit addresses. Let's say it actually happens: Jihan and co gather and enough hashrate collides to steal segwit funds. Let's say the funds are a small amount and the address has been inactive a lot of time. Most likely the owner wouldn't even notice, or by the time he notices, nobody would believe that it actually happened, unless you can answer the question of the thread:

In the event that it actually happened, would there be any way to prove it, or it would be seen just as a regularly sent transaction?

Since the miners don't have the correct private key, they will be unable to provide the correct signature for the transaction that they use to "steal the funds".  Therefore, everyone else on the network will reject their invalid block which contains the invalid transaction.  They will have wasted their time and money and they will have accomplished nothing.

I think OP is alluring to the anyone-can-spend "vulnerability" that has been a talking point against the SegWit softfork for a while. What usually got ignored during this discourse was that "exploiting" this attribute of SegWit transactions would require a hardfork, basically rolling back BTC's SegWit upgrade and creating a shittier version of BCH.

So in theory, at least the way I understand it, anyone -- not just miners -- can try to spend inputs from a SegWit transaction while ignoring the correct private key. But while legacy (ie. non-SegWit) nodes would accept such a transaction, the majority of the network -- and thus the canonical BTC blockchain -- would reject it.
legendary
Most likely you already know about the theory of the colliding miners planning a 51% attack to steal funds of transactions sitting on segwit addresses. Let's say it actually happens: Jihan and co gather and enough hashrate collides to steal segwit funds. Let's say the funds are a small amount and the address has been inactive a lot of time. Most likely the owner wouldn't even notice, or by the time he notices, nobody would believe that it actually happened, unless you can answer the question of the thread:

Since the miners don't have the correct private key, they will be unable to provide the correct signature for the transaction that they use to "steal the funds".  Therefore, everyone else on the network will reject their invalid block which contains the invalid transaction.  They will have wasted their time and money and they will have accomplished nothing.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

Pages:
Jump to: