Pages:
Author

Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins? - page 12. (Read 42320 times)

legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
February 09, 2017, 11:02:28 AM
Paper wallet ... reformat your personal computer

U R doing it rong.

What exactly do you think the 'paper' in 'paper wallet' is meant to denote?
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live
February 09, 2017, 09:51:14 AM
That's a very huge account and I say that it is a very attractive amount for hackers since they are the ones that you should be wary the most . Using an offline wallet is a good choice just don't keep huge amount of bitcoin in one address . Example use a different address every .1 bitcoin and all the security features of the chosen wallet are activated .
Offline wallets have restrictions in usage. Offline wallets cannot be accessed anywhere like the online bitcoin wallets. To increase the security it's better to split the bitcoin and place in several bitcoin wallets or else just split and invest you'll get a good stable earning as the amount is quite high about 100btc.
Activity: 756
Merit: 253
February 09, 2017, 09:29:17 AM
Everything on hardware wallets these days.  I've been burned ONE time too many.

That's true and I support the trend even though I'm not having enough Bitcoin at the moment; the private keys need to be kept on flash drives or external hard drives and have it kept in a bank save or your personal safe .
copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏
February 09, 2017, 09:05:09 AM
Have you guys checked the first 100k mined bitcoins? yes 100k and not 100, they are stored 50 bitcoins in each address which belongs to Satoshi.
I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to "hack" addresses they were the perfect candidates but since they only been used once without having any output they are safe.
Process requiring to hack an address is more like for someone trying to remember and guess 100 pages of paper filled with random numbers and letters, yes there are people with skills that could remember whatever they see but could they also guess what the next page's content is without seeing it first?
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Wolf
February 09, 2017, 08:52:19 AM
That's a very huge account and I say that it is a very attractive amount for hackers since they are the ones that you should be wary the most . Using an offline wallet is a good choice just don't keep huge amount of bitcoin in one address . Example use a different address every .1 bitcoin and all the security features of the chosen wallet are activated .
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
February 09, 2017, 08:43:53 AM
Lucky guy you are... Wish I had your problems  Cheesy
If seriously, I wouldn't store all coins in one place for sure. I'd split the amount in different parts and store in different wallets.

Yes, that makes sense. I keep my money in different places even when I travel somewhere. So, if I lose a card, I still have cash and vice versa.

Of course, you do not want to get any satoshi lost, but still... better to lose a tiny bit, than everything.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
February 09, 2017, 08:29:31 AM
Paper wallet is a great and the safest way of storing bitcoin however, the problem in this is its convincience and can not be recovered.

Paper wallets are not meant for offering people a convenient experience. People mainly use it as cold storage, or in some cases even to give someone a present in form of a well decorated paper wallet containing an x amount of coins.

Although it is secured becaude youbare the only one who only knows what is its private key, if someone reformat your personal computer, your bitcoin can't be recovered no matter what would you do.

If you already have set up a paper wallet, and you by accident format your drive where you delete your digital wallet files, then your coins aren't lost since the private keys are printed on your paper wallet. You at any time can gain access to your coins if you import your private keys into a wallet client.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
February 09, 2017, 08:25:43 AM
Not that I have that many (I wish!), but how would you store >100 Bitcoins? The easy answer is just to say "create 1 offline/cold wallet and put them all in". But what about risk management? IE how do you store a very large value of coins while managing risk against hackers, forgetting passwords, the obvious need for at least 1 hot wallet, portability, easy of use, house fires, EMP bomb's (lol), or if a foreigner had to flee a country while taking no assets etc etc.

I'm looking for real responses and ideas. Please keep the trolling to a minimum Tongue

I've never had more than 5 btc so 100 btc are very big amount to me. But I was used a cold wallet, I download the bitcoin wallet software on the internet. And send all of my bitcoin to it, (at that time, I've started to learn about bitcoin and stored about 0.01 btc...). Everything was gone okay, fast transaction (I think), feeling save,... But unfortunately, my laptop has crash (there was a problem with the HDD drive) so I have to replace new HHD drive, thats mean all the offline document has gone (include my btc). Of course, its a small amount to many people, but to me, that was all of my cryptocurrency so I feel so bad... And I decide to use online wallet. There are some benefits when I using coinbase. I can restore my account via my email and phone number, it really safe (I think).
Activity: 1806
Merit: 671
February 09, 2017, 08:23:00 AM
Since I have been having issues with connecting to my blockchain wallet I am thinking about going offline for storing them now.
With that many bitcoin I would probably put them on a usb stick for safe keeping.
Maybe waterproof them in a capsule or something.

I've got issues with Blockchain too... Now I am using it just for transactions and stuff like that, and I store the rest on my paper wallets. It's way safer and nobody can get my money unless some thief comes in my home that knows about Bitcoin Cheesy
Paper wallet is a great and the safest way of storing bitcoin however, the problem in this is its convincience and can not be recovered. Although it is secured becaude youbare the only one who only knows what is its private key, if someone reformat your personal computer, your bitcoin can't be recovered no matter what would you do.
Having one reliable wallet can solve your problem. Wallets that have have adjustable security like 2 factor authentication can save you from hacks. 2fa is a way where when you enter a password there will be another line of password that you need to enter and the code will be inside your email or be sent via text both of which are strong ways to protect your Bitcoin.
Activity: 672
February 09, 2017, 08:19:19 AM
Since I have been having issues with connecting to my blockchain wallet I am thinking about going offline for storing them now.
With that many bitcoin I would probably put them on a usb stick for safe keeping.

I've got issues with Blockchain too... Now I am using it just for transactions and stuff like that, and I store the rest on my paper wallets. It's way safer and nobody can get my money unless some thief comes in my home that knows about Bitcoin Cheesy
Paper wallet is a great and the safest way of storing bitcoin however, the problem in this is its convincience and can not be recovered. Although it is secured becaude youbare the only one who only knows what is its private key, if someone reformat your personal computer, your bitcoin can't be recovered no matter what would you do.
Activity: 280
February 09, 2017, 08:16:40 AM
If I need to use those amount daily I would like to store in separate wallet online on the web or mobile app. but I would trust only blockchain wallet for such heavy amount. and I don't need to use those amount daily then I would like to make a paper wallet and store it in my private locker.
Activity: 980
Merit: 523
February 09, 2017, 08:04:51 AM
If seriously, I wouldn't store all coins in one place for sure. I'd split the amount in different parts and store in different wallets.
yeah i think it is a huge amount to save and i also did store all to some paper wallet or any desktop and mobile wallet.... i think it is much more secure than a online wallet......
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597
February 09, 2017, 07:46:24 AM

Activity: 156
Merit: 10
February 09, 2017, 07:30:56 AM
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
January 07, 2017, 05:28:28 PM
I I had 100 Bitcoins to store I would look into creating a paper wallet for a large amount and keep some on "Trezor" and up to one on or less on a device to spend btc on the go. I would certainly not keep the coins on a desktop wallet with 100+gb data to download on a computer that is always connected to the internet and I would not mess around with wallet.dat files on a dozen usb drives and I would never ever keep them at blockchain.info or some other 3rd party service.
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030
Privacy is always important
January 07, 2017, 05:09:21 PM
Probably the solution would be to store the coins in the multiple different wallets. The worst decision would be to keep bitcoins just in one place. And not to use online wallets.
But I guess I will never have such big amount of bitcoins, although I want to, so I will be not having such problems.  Grin
if you select a trusted wallet for yourself and keep your money there. although blockchain, is a secured and trusted wallet but still if you keep your money in different wallets and not select a single one then it will be really good for you. through this way you can secure more your bitcoins.

you are right, blockchain wallet is one of the trusted bitcoin web wallet and it is indeed that keeping our coin in to different wallets especially if we are owning a huge amount of bitcoin could be good but I think, to be secured it is much better to use a cold storage whenever you are going to store a large number of bitcoin .
I think it is always depends on us how we are secured our bitcoin.. well for me i can say electrum is the best to stay our coins since it is a 2nd ranking from bitcoin-qt and electrum is a lite version of bitcoin-qt.. this is a good choice and you can secured your wallet just to increase your phasprase and always backup your electrum wallet files and private keys.. and i think always protect your computer with anti virus like kaspersky that can help you protect your wallet or any online thieves.

100 bitcoins is a lot of money. Im sure someone trusting bitcoin that much wouldn't have a big problem downlaoding bitocin core and running a full node locally to guarantee that they are validating transactions correctly aren't they? I mean i dont get the people that invest so much money on bitcoin and can't even take the time to download the full blockchain. It's still only 100 GB, pretty sure if you are holding 100 BTC you can have a hard drive to host the blockchain. Please let's not be lazy with this and run as many bitcoin core nodes as possible, this helps everyone invested in bitcoin. Leave electrum for smaller amounts imo.
For me i can not download such a large file of 100gb i have only 2mbps internet speed and i think it takes days or months before i download the whole blockchain.. like he said it is a goodidea to choose electrum since i also use that wallet and i think you can use different ways to secure your wallet in electrum like 2fa so that it is hard to crack or if someone trying to bruteforce your wallet it is impossible to get your 100btc in your electrum wallet..
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1233
January 07, 2017, 05:01:49 PM
Activity: 434
January 07, 2017, 04:59:57 PM
I would be crying out really loud if something happens to my precious coins but nothing will happen to them now though.

Have you -- yourself -- verified that your hardware wallet does not have a backdoor? If so, then how exactly did you verify this conclusion?

Exactly.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
January 07, 2017, 04:56:34 PM
Everything on hardware wallets these days.  I've been burned ONE time too many.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
January 07, 2017, 04:53:41 PM
I would be crying out really loud if something happens to my precious coins but nothing will happen to them now though.

Have you -- yourself -- verified that your hardware wallet does not have a backdoor? If so, then how exactly did you verify this conclusion?

What makes you so sure that other methods are not equally secure?
Pages:
Jump to: