Pages:
Author

Topic: HOWTO create a bootable usb Bitcoin wallet in 4 easy steps - page 2. (Read 10331 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
Oh great.  More worries.  Is there not a way to check this? Can someone not open this up and check the code to make sure there are no backdoors sending wallet keys to the maker?

LinuxCoin was created by drG33n and Im sure hell come here to solve any doubts you have. The official thread is here and so far is widely used and no one has complained.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Oh great.  More worries.  Is there not a way to check this? Can someone not open this up and check the code to make sure there are no backdoors sending wallet keys to the maker?

legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
please use linuxcoin wallet with small balances and at your own risk, this distribution was never audited by a 3rd party
legendary
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1948

unfortunately not going to work with Intel based Mac.  requires a GUID format vs FAT32.

Thats a shame. If you are really interested, you should go to the LinuxCoin thread (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/linuxcoin-a-lightweight-debian-based-os-with-everything-ready-to-go-7374) and ask there, maybe you can get it to work with other partition systems.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1948

unfortunately not going to work with Intel based Mac.  requires a GUID format vs FAT32.
legendary
"upon retrieval" you mean you have to connect it to the internet...to retrieve...  that's what I am talking about.  Does this install connect to the net or not?

I would like to have a bootable version with few coins that I use and can bring with me like a usb on a keychain, and then a "buried in the backyard" one as you say.

Yes, LinuxCoin connects to the internet. It even has a web browser installed. The point is that if you start visiting web pages you are increasing the risk of being infected. Just as a policy you should not do it with the LinuxCoin that has your wallet.

Quote from: Blackout
I get that - but then there is no need of all this bootable stuff... just create a new wallet and offline store it and send coins to it as it is buried in Michael Jackson's basement.

Yes, this is an option as well. In fact, you should do that with the security copies. The point of having a bootable USB is that you have a more easy access to your funds. For example you might want to access those funds every 3 or 4 months, and the USB is just convinient.
legendary
i'm running Win 7 on VMWare Fusion on a Macbook Pro.  anyone know if i can boot to USB stick with this setup and how to do it?

Apple now uses standard PC hardware so you should be able to use the USB. Linux has drivers for almost anything these days (even more than windows), but you will never know for sure until you try. In theory you should not have a problem. The OS installed in your hard drive should not be a problem since the bootable USB does not care and does not touch it. If you were to have any issue it would be with the hardware, but it should be fine.

Let us know how it goes.
Activity: 154
Merit: 10
thank you
I get that - but then there is no need of all this bootable stuff... just create a new wallet and offline store it and send coins to it as it is buried in Michael Jackson's basement.

legendary
ok, i would love to have a USB bootable version of Linuxcoin that will work with a Mac.  please.
legendary
Question on this...  you set it up, boot from it, create a new wallet, and now you want to send coins to it, but how do you get
coins to it if you are not online with it?  Or am I misinterpreting your statement do not browse the web with it....

A Bitcoin client/wallet doesn't need to be running or online in any way to receive funds. You can bury it in the backyard for ten years, sending BTC to it periodically, and upon retrieval it will update the block chain and discover your funds there waiting for you =)

So, you only need to be "plugged in" when sending money out.

"upon retrieval" you mean you have to connect it to the internet...to retrieve...  that's what I am talking about.  Does this install connect to the net or not?

I would like to have a bootable version with few coins that I use and can bring with me like a usb on a keychain, and then a "buried in the backyard" one as you say.

yes, the client in Linuxcoin will connect to the Internet and you can use it normally to send and receive coins.  the session will never touch your hard drive theoretically so therefore you don't have to worry about trojans altho there might be some debate about this.

evorhees is saying that instead of this setup and for extra security, some of us, have created an offline savings wallet on a USB stick via a Live CD session, recorded a few addresses from that wallet, and then send coins to those addresses periodically.  heres the thing:  you don't have to ever connect that wallet up to the internet ever again to receive those coins.  they're in essence "stored" in the block chain.  what matters is that those coins have been sent to these addresses.  you could wait 10 yrs to reconnect the wallet and the updating of the block chain will then bring those coins into your wallet which then could be spent.  clear?

edit:  the cool thing is you can go to block explorer to check the balance of coins in those addresses everyday if you're paranoid about them being there.
Question on this...  you set it up, boot from it, create a new wallet, and now you want to send coins to it, but how do you get
coins to it if you are not online with it?  Or am I misinterpreting your statement do not browse the web with it....

A Bitcoin client/wallet doesn't need to be running or online in any way to receive funds. You can bury it in the backyard for ten years, sending BTC to it periodically, and upon retrieval it will update the block chain and discover your funds there waiting for you =)

"upon retrieval" you mean you have to connect it to the internet...to retrieve...  that's what I am talking about.  Does this install connect to the net or not?

legendary
i'm running Win 7 on VMWare Fusion on a Macbook Pro.  anyone know if i can boot to USB stick with this setup and how to do it?
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Question on this...  you set it up, boot from it, create a new wallet, and now you want to send coins to it, but how do you get
coins to it if you are not online with it?  Or am I misinterpreting your statement do not browse the web with it....

When you boot from this will your broadband connection still work? Doesn't it have to to get the client to run to get any coins you send to it?

I guess I'll just run it and find out.  Thanks for the help.

donator
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105
many thanks, when I'm ready to keep my own wallet I plan on following this guide & the other advise that's posted on the forum, for now watching the thread - it's much appreciated
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
I will be backing up this information and making it even more visually 'simple' for people and throw it up on a page today if I get the time (I doubt I will, but I do want to).
legendary
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Wow, nice guide!
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
Yes, many thanks indeed... this is going to be indispensable in my hdd-less rig...

Now:  I just have to learn linux and figure out how to get mining going under linuxcoin... any suggestions?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Using 2x 5830s
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
Hey Hugolp !!

Thanks for writing an in depth guide !! I would like to point out that LinuxCoin has drivers and will boot on most graphics cards on the market. It has the propriety ATI drivers included for mining bot Xorg has nearly every driver you can think of and for everything else there's vesa Wink
Pages:
Jump to: