Pages:
Author

Topic: Humans keep increasing what will happen? - page 2. (Read 662 times)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
August 04, 2018, 07:40:46 AM
To my own view nothing is going to happen if things continue like this, because people die everyday and also new babies are also born as well and that's how the life cycle is going to be like.
Activity: 26
August 04, 2018, 04:51:49 AM
Harms to the following:
- Reserve of resources quickly depleted.
- Deforestation to expand agricultural land leads to ecological imbalances.
- Generate concentrated sources of waste that exceed the capacity of self-degradation of the natural environment in urban areas, agricultural and industrial areas.
- The gap in the rate of population growth between industrialized and developing countries is rising, leading to poverty in developing countries and excess consumption in industrialized countries. The growing disparity between urban and rural areas, between developed industrial and least developed countries, leads to the immigration of all kinds.
- The rise of the urban population and the formation of big cities - megacities make the urban environment at risk of severe degradation. The supply of clean water, houses and trees can not meet the population growth. Pollution of air and water increased. Social evils and the problem of social management in urban areas are increasingly difficult.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 325
August 03, 2018, 07:50:41 PM
Global population is not going down, is stabilizing, but we are too many already.

The issue is that we, as animals, have had unnatural survival behaviour, so the world population grew exponentially from 4 billion in 1974 to 7.5 billion in 2018, almost a duplicated number:

So yes, it is an issue, though. If any other animal had this kind of behaviour, humans will, for sure implement a reproduction control in order to stop the (hypothetical) animal to become a plague.
So, in fact, and given the reproduction behaviour, humankind can be considered as one.

Yes, education can be absolutely something of value in stopping this incredible and crazy increment. But the humans have already altered the earth so much that is starting to be considered at this particular time as a new geological era: Anthropocene.

i think the western world will become a growing one again.

there is no threat, i mean curoscant in star wars had several thrillion inhabitants, you would have to build such a planetary urban society, nature and other stuff would be something only for those that traveled or colonised there.

(humanist perspective)
Activity: 22
August 03, 2018, 07:34:36 PM
Man has always found a way to improvise. I don't think increase in population should be a problem so far there are provisions in terms of economy to cater for it. There are so many uninhabited places on earth e.g. in Russia and Canada.
We should't also forget that life expectancy is increasing which means more people on earth.
I think uniting and working on issues like global warming and climate change should cater for the next generation.
Activity: 23
August 03, 2018, 06:38:44 AM
At the rate we’re going, we are already using up the available resources of 1 ½ Earths, even though this planet is all we have at the moment. Unless we can find another Earth where we can move half of our 7 billion population, it’s very obvious that we are using up our finite supply of resources. The effect of growing population will be an increased demand for resources and space. Both of which we are running out of. The Earth just can’t keep up with us and our habit of wastage is not helping.
What do you mean by that? How could we possibly use the available resources of 1.5 earths? Is that not physically impossible? I don't think you can use more resources than exist. I think one of our biggest problems is that we don't actually know how many resources are available. Capitalism requires scarcity to work. It it is in private companies' best interest to make people think that their product is scarce. Then they can charge more.
Activity: 69
August 02, 2018, 03:59:21 PM
Like with everything there has to be a limit as to how many people the Earth can hold, and that point will come one day. If there's not enough food to go around, you're going to see the same old conflicts but at much higher scale, war, scapegoating, people fighting among each other because they have no other choice, else they will not survive. Everything will go down hill. Perhaps the government around the world will suggest to people to do like China, you can only have one or two kids. And many of people will not care and have 10.
Activity: 188
August 02, 2018, 02:37:14 PM
At the rate we’re going, we are already using up the available resources of 1 ½ Earths, even though this planet is all we have at the moment. Unless we can find another Earth where we can move half of our 7 billion population, it’s very obvious that we are using up our finite supply of resources. The effect of growing population will be an increased demand for resources and space. Both of which we are running out of. The Earth just can’t keep up with us and our habit of wastage is not helping.
Activity: 574
Merit: 108
August 02, 2018, 09:30:48 AM
The world population is keep on increasing exponentially. Hence, there will come a time that we will be dealling problems regarding its effect to us. But, what are these problems that we are about to face? What will be the possible effect of this? Well, I think that if it is the case, then the government will mandatorily require a specific number of children within the family. Then, the supply and distribution of food will be strictly facilitated by the government as scarcity and shortage will possibly happen. Next is, most of the lands will soon be occupy by many. And then, if the population will still grow insanely, then more or less, there will be killings --- as part of nature of survival.
Activity: 23
Global population is not going down, is stabilizing, but we are too many already.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Population_Growth_by_World_Bank_continental_division.png

The issue is that we, as animals, have had unnatural survival behaviour, so the world population grew exponentially from 4 billion in 1974 to 7.5 billion in 2018, almost a duplicated number:

https://i.imgur.com/QDZ6JaF.png

So yes, it is an issue, though. If any other animal had this kind of behaviour, humans will, for sure implement a reproduction control in order to stop the (hypothetical) animal to become a plague.
So, in fact, and given the reproduction behaviour, humankind can be considered as one.

Yes, education can be absolutely something of value in stopping this incredible and crazy increment. But the humans have already altered the earth so much that is starting to be considered at this particular time as a new geological era: Anthropocene.

Why would you say that survival behavior is unnatural? I think that's just about the most natural behavior you can have. I think you're right when you use the word "animal". These are the same instincts that animals have to reproduce. I don't think the huge boom in world population is due to people suddenly deciding to turn on their survival instinct. The difference is that people actually started surviving. Modern medicine and vaccinations have reduced out mortality rate greatly. Life expectancy is also going up. I suggest not only looking at the history population, but also look at the birth rates. They are going down all over the world. Some projections even predict that world population will start going down again the future.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 501
Despite the use of various contraceptives, the world population keeps ballooning. Will there come a time that all food will be extinct and we cannot feed ourselves or what is the way forward because we are tilling all the virgin lands etc.
Various contraceptives are still controlling the population meanwhile there are still many young people are not educated well about our various contraceptives and maybe that is the reason why our population keeps ballooning. We can't really stop their lust and a lot of young people now are having sex and not educated well.
Activity: 14
Small growth still growth and we can't keep growing forever.  I recommend watching this amazing talk about population growth and the math behind growth.

Arithmetic, Population and Energy - a talk by Al Bartlett
Activity: 71
we suffer world wide food shortage. if our population is keeping larger and larger. and thats not good. the government need to educate people about family planning not family planting. educate about the cause and effect use of contraceptive to avoid prenancy and our polulation will not keep rising.
Activity: 11
Despite the use of various contraceptives, the world population keeps ballooning. Will there come a time that all food will be extinct and we cannot feed ourselves or what is the way forward because we are tilling all the virgin lands etc .
the day when the population will grow into as much as 50 billion may be a few thousand years away, and by then there would have been several world wars, catastrophes, natural calamities, earthquakes, global warming, and floods to reduce the population, perhaps to even a lower value than 0.5 billion.
Activity: 57
Merit: 1
Despite the use of various contraceptives, the world population keeps ballooning. Will there come a time that all food will be extinct and we cannot feed ourselves or what is the way forward because we are tilling all the virgin lands etc .
If climate change caused by global warming continues as currently projected, the global human population will probably peak and then decline.
Activity: 36
As the human population grows, many new problems arise: from environmental issues; Social Security; economy; society's vices..
It will be a difficult question to ask the government and the people to work together to think and change their behavior
Activity: 50
Humans are actively spreading in numbers as of now. What will happen in this society will eventually be chaotic and full of conflicts regarding survival. Even if the government takes lead to starting a new changed world, humans are still humans. No one can ever be a hindrance to this growing population, not even political leaders and officials.  It is human's nature. So therefore, the world is more likely to suffer.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386

Overpopulation will surely have it's toll on the natural resources on our planet.
Pollution and depletion of the natural resources will surely make things harder
for the generations to come. If we don't find alternative solutions to the growing
number of problems, human civilization is at risk. There's always a price to pay.

These ideas were proposed by Paul Erich in the 1970s, virtually identically. None of the dire consequences he predicted have came true, and the world, and the welfare of people, is far, far superior to the 1970s. In spite of great increases in population.
Activity: 476
Merit: 108

Overpopulation will surely have it's toll on the natural resources on our planet.
Pollution and depletion of the natural resources will surely make things harder
for the generations to come. If we don't find alternative solutions to the growing
number of problems, human civilization is at risk. There's always a price to pay.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386

It of course depends on many factors, climate and our behavior mostly, the later of which we can control. Producing meat as a source of food is moronic....

But...

It's so TASTY!!!
Activity: 57
Merit: 6
We have the teeth, guts and stomach PH of frugivores / omnivores and can handle small amounts of meat not 100kg a year, do you think you have the teeth of a wolf??? This is  not accurate!

1. A frugivore is a type of omnivore which is what I stated.
2. When did I say 100kg of meat per year was a normal healthy diet? Thats the equivalent of roughly 2kg per week...
3. When did I compare human teeth to wolves?

Our closest relatives are Chimpanzees and although they have a mainly plant based diet, there is plenty evidence of that shows they spend a large portion of their foraging time fishing for termites and ant dipping. Heres a scientific study that you can read that states exactly this http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/miltonlab/pdfs/meateating.pdf. Go straight to the conclusions if you don't want to read the whole thing. Furthermore, although primates are our closest relatives, the eating habits of each individual species varies. Evidence in that report also shows strong support for the role of animal based micronutrients being critical in human infant development.

Animal fats will prevent the production of your own metabolites and shut down the liver and build up fats in the blood and around organs, we cant metabolite or digest meat properly....
Wolves have much larger livers and sharper / different tooth there is no similarities. They eat less often as well, there are nothing suggesting that we should consume meat on a daily basis, fact!

If we aren't designed to digest animal fats, how do babies digest their mother's milk? Surely that's a natural intake of animal fats?

This study https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/71/3/682/4729121 finds that hunter gatherers would have consumed about 50% of animal based food in their diets and even this vegan blog states that humans are not exclusively herbivores. https://veganbiologist.com/2016/01/04/humans-are-not-herbivores/. Although I won't argue the science behind saturated fat being linked to fatty liver disease, saturated fat does not exclusively come from animals and you are cherry picking facts to support your argument.

I may have been a bit short sighted in my original post because after looking into it a bit more its possible out eye position originated to aid us in climbing trees. That doesn't take away from the fact that it aided us in our hunter gatherer lifestyle and it could be a combination of both.

Stop arguing with me about stuff that you clearly have a biased view on. You even said yourself that humans are omnivores, which is exactly what I said.

this is getting off topic, but there's so much bullshit in this post that I have to say something.

Apologies if i took this off topic but I guess the whole meat industry thing stems from the sustainability theme of the post
Pages:
Jump to: