Pages:
Author

Topic: Humans vs Evolution - page 3. (Read 1626 times)

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756
Bobby Fischer was right
May 12, 2017, 03:19:25 PM
About dog argument:
Bull Terrier - extensive breeding with strong accent on jaw and teeth "power" caused heavy retardation in breathing department, to a level of lungs underdevelopment.
Bulldog - cant breed on its own due to oversized head, very susceptible to cancer as a result of artificial selection.
German Shepard - used to be slim and agile up to 25kg, now oversized has trouble with joints.
As you can see breeders using "retarded" gene pool more than it is expected. Look for pictures of dogs from 19 century and you will spot the difference at first glance.
About bad genes:
There where few people before that loved the idea of sterilisation for handicapped... we do know how it ended.
In my opinion we as civilised society should be ready to make some sacrifices, some bits you keep and some you loose, no one has the power to dictate who is worthy of procreation.
Activity: 798
Merit: 722
May 12, 2017, 02:57:39 PM
Let's avoid the religious debate and assume Evolution is real

The prime drivers of evolution are
1) Random gene mutations
2) Survival of the Fittest/Natural Selection

The issue I see is that humans actively fight against natural selection/survival of the fittest...

We have hospitals where we treat down's syndrome, cancer, epilepsy, and all forms of mental and physical retardation

Without intervention, these "bad genes" would die and leave the gene pool... but, we keep these people alive, to pass on "bad genes" to the next generation

I know it sounds callous, etc., but it seems like a stupid idea to fill the gene pool with "bad genes", rather than let nature take it's course and kill off the poor bastards who drew the short straw

If a dog breeder had a dog with an obvious deformity, it would not use the dog for breeding purposes... that would be stupid to contaminate the breed's gene pool
Pages:
Jump to: