Pages:
Author

Topic: I am thinking of a contest. Convert an S-1 into a space heater. - page 2. (Read 2288 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003
If one could use the heat generated to boil water to spin a turbine or charge batteries and create electricity to run the AC in summer time???

or at least a FAN.
Wouldn't pay back its outlay costs of such a design. Waste heat is waste for a reason Wink

But we are using the wasted heat from mining btc.  Is it better as straight heat?  but thats only good in winter time.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
If one could use the heat generated to boil water to spin a turbine or charge batteries and create electricity to run the AC in summer time???

or at least a FAN.
Wouldn't pay back its outlay costs of such a design. Waste heat is waste for a reason Wink
Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

or at least a FAN.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Don't you think the timing of this is off by a few months? Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere or the North Pole, who needs a space heater now?

Agreed, the only way the Antminer S1 survives until next winter is if the price of BTC jumps substantially.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
Don't you think the timing of this is off by a few months? Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere or the North Pole, who needs a space heater now?
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Basically, it sounds like this contest is just about designing a case for 2-3 S1s and a PSU so they can safely be used throughout the house for heat.

It's an interesting idea, and also has another application of allowing miners to run more equipment in their home.

For example, I have 200 amp service in my home, and have a 100 amp sub panel in the basement just for mining equipment. I don't even come close to  maxing out my 200 amp service because it would look silly and be unsafe to have exposed mining equipment in multiple rooms (on different circuits) throughout the house.

Sound would be an issue as well though because S1s are loud.

Yes  they are loud which means lower volts lower hash will be needed. This would let fans run much slower.  Thus cut down noise.

This is an 'invention' so to speak that could really showcase to the non - crytpo coin world  a true practicality for crypto coins.

Put another way even my wife likes the idea and she hates all the miners I have.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Basically, it sounds like this contest is just about designing a case for 2-3 S1s and a PSU so they can safely be used throughout the house for heat.

It's an interesting idea, and also has another application of allowing miners to run more equipment in their home.

For example, I have 200 amp service in my home, and have a 100 amp sub panel in the basement just for mining equipment. I don't even come close to  maxing out my 200 amp service because it would look silly and be unsafe to have exposed mining equipment in multiple rooms (on different circuits) throughout the house.

Sound would be an issue as well though because S1s are loud.
legendary
Turn them into A/C units. Now that would be interesting!  Cheesy

No   that would be very valuable.  almost perpetual motion .
legendary
I don't get it, S1s like all bitcoin miners are already space heaters?

Of course but s-1s as constructed are not shock safe, pet safe, kid safe.

In the USA there are millions of all electric homes.  

So a 2 s-1 unit with under volt and under clock to 280 gh 400 watts

sounds meh as a miner  .  but as a space heater it is a fine piece of gear for  an all electric home .  or any place  that is already using an electric space heater.

Price wise an s-1 costs 250 usd 2 cost 500 usd a decent psu 100.

so for 600 you have a space heater.  not practical since space heaters cost  50 bucks.

But if you own s-1's now along with psu's now.  a good easy idea to convert you s-1 into a safe practical space heater makes that s-1 good until march or april of 2015.

This contest will encourage miners to create a safe practical space heater out of the soon to eol s-1.

A down volted  down clocked s-1   can use quiet fans.

Also  this would be a great incentive for Bitmain to build s-1's  with a different resistor {the pencil mod done right}

fans would be quieter  users would get money back  and thus green space heaters.

Here is a shout out to bitmain build a modded s-1 batch with built in down volt .  They would sell and you would make more with them then you realize
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
Turn them into A/C units. Now that would be interesting!  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
I don't get it, S1s like all bitcoin miners are already space heaters?
legendary
Reserve

Please give some suggestions on the contest setup.

I get 2 more s-1's to my home on tues.  I will have 5 on hand.

I will make my 2 designs and post them later this week.  And I will most likely start the contest on May 1st.
legendary
legendary
legendary